• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

The elusive 1oz Dutch Guilder

JBrans

Hello all. I am a Dutch national and began stacking/collecting this year. On silver bullion there is a 20% VAT but not on silver currency.

Of course I could go for the beautiful American Eagles and so on, but I decided to look into my own currency first and I found some interesting options, mainly large supplies of junk silver on the market from pre Euro times. Troy Ounces weren't typically used by us, standard sizes were like 25 or 30 gram for larger rounds (today the national mint makes toz rounds but those are unaffordable collectibles). Anyway, it was after some time of collecting that I found an unlisted product advertisement through google of a silver troy ounce Guilder. Modeled after our old (much smaller) 1 Guilder coin. This would be our equivalent to the ASE, Maple leaf, Philharmonic and so on. Naturally my interest was piqued.

I asked the shop for more info and they said it was a special limited edition from an independent manufacturer, not an official coin, which means they are all probably in the hands of collectors and will be hard to find. I asked my LCS, very reputable dealer and he had never heard of it. Sadly, not a good stacking option, but still something I would want in my collection.

The attached images is what it looks like.

I doubt this particular rarity has made its way to the international market, but I figured it doesn't hurt to ask. If anyone knows where to find them, please let me know.

Thanks and have a nice day.

download (1).jpg

download.jpg

They are a beautiful coin.

You can get gold Guilders from places like bullion by post or chards. I have a couple. 

They're 22 carat gold and are just over 6 grams of pure gold. 

Don't know if this helps as wasn't quite what you were looking for 

2 hours ago, Blockhead said:

They are a beautiful coin.

You can get gold Guilders from places like bullion by post or chards. I have a couple. 

They're 22 carat gold and are just over 6 grams of pure gold. 

Don't know if this helps as wasn't quite what you were looking for 

Absolutely, there's a great variety of historic Dutch currency and I have a small collection of various coins, including some golden 10G's. spacer.png spacer.png

6 hours ago, xct said:

I would classify this as a fake if it is 1 troy ounce.

What's fake about it? It's unofficial, but just because it's designed after an official coin and made out of silver, I don't see a problem. In fact I think it's cool this was produced and I think it's sad they didn't make more.

If they do mint a troy ounce Rijksdaalder it would be cool yes. But as far as I know this one doesn’t “officially” exist so most coin stores would qualify this as fake. There are also Chinese fake rijksdaalders, and this might as well be one of them. 

4 hours ago, xct said:

If they do mint a troy ounce Rijksdaalder it would be cool yes. But as far as I know this one doesn’t “officially” exist so most coin stores would qualify this as fake. There are also Chinese fake rijksdaalders, and this might as well be one of them. 

This is not a Rijksdaalder, and Rijksdaalders are not made in troy ounces either. 

This 1oz Guilder was made in collab with Amsterdamgold and Schone Edelmetaal, according to the seller (Silver Mountain). I haven't reached out to them to verify because I see no reason to suspect any sort of fraud or forgery. 

I don't see a problem minting coins in troy ounces designed after their smaller counterpart. If anything, these 'fake' 1oz Guilders are more valuable simply because they are heavier and more rare.

I think that's why these were produced, to offer an equivalent to ASE etc. I mean those are a 1 dollar coin, why wouldn't we have a 1 Guilder troy ounce coin? It's a cool experiment that I want in my collection.

I’d be interested in this coin too, never heard of it.

Do you collect these? Cracking looking coin...

New for 2018, the Royal Dutch Mint has released a modern lion daalder, the Dutch thaler, restrike based on the design originally issued in 1617.

• Mintage of 5,000 coins.
  • Contains 1 oz of .999 fine Silver.
  • Restrike comes housed in a protective plastic capsule.
  • Obverse: Displays an image of a Dutch knight standing in front of a shield bearing a fierce lion in what is known as the rampant position above the Zeeland Waves.
  • Reverse: Displays the same heraldic lion in a larger size above the Zeeland Waves.
  • Guaranteed by the Royal Dutch Mint.
  •  

6344129A-A962-48BC-87C0-C577C5713756.jpeg

Many thanks, Elliot

Check out my ebay store, buy direct and get at least 10% discount. https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/investincoins888

23 minutes ago, InvestInCoins888 said:

I’d be interested in this coin too, never heard of it.

Do you collect these? Cracking looking coin...

New for 2018, the Royal Dutch Mint has released a modern lion daalder, the Dutch thaler, restrike based on the design originally issued in 1617.

• Mintage of 5,000 coins.
  • Contains 1 oz of .999 fine Silver.
  • Restrike comes housed in a protective plastic capsule.
  • Obverse: Displays an image of a Dutch knight standing in front of a shield bearing a fierce lion in what is known as the rampant position above the Zeeland Waves.
  • Reverse: Displays the same heraldic lion in a larger size above the Zeeland Waves.
  • Guaranteed by the Royal Dutch Mint.
  •  

6344129A-A962-48BC-87C0-C577C5713756.jpeg

Very cool! I have a set of silver Ducats, I know these exist but I think they are a higher price category much like most coins produced and sold by the Royal Dutch Mint. Still would want one if I can find a bargain. Have a couple of ECU on the way right now bought under spot! 

11_f-2.jpg

10 minutes ago, xct said:

I looked it up on thesilvermountain:

https://www.thesilvermountain.nl/nl/1-troy-ounce-zilveren-nederlandse-gulden

It is an official coin minted by the Dutch Mint. It is pretty cool indeed.. too bad they didn't continue with it.

That's the advertisement and I know Dutch Mint is listed but according to them it was made by Amsterdamgold and Schone! See attachment. Very strange indeed.

Screenshot_20200814-213541_Gmail.jpg

Archived