• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

1796 Spanish 8 Reale

amiddleton

i would direct your question to @Numistacker who i suspect has the most expertise with conservation and grading.

Always cast your vote - Spoil your ballot slip. Put 'Spoilt Ballot - I do not consent.' These votes are counted. If you do not do this you are consenting to the tyranny. None of them are fit for purpose. 
A tyranny relies on propaganda and force. Once the propaganda fails all that's left is force.

COVID-19 is a cover story for the collapsing economy. Green Energy isn't Green and it isn't Renewable.

For me, if I wanted a bright coin, I would buy a less circulated one. Circulated coins which are shiny just don't look right in my opinion. 

I have a few coins which have been cleaned by the previous owner, I find it very distracting to have visible wear and mirror like fields with no mint lustre. 

Edit: sorry didn't notice the question was specifically for NGC conservation. I have no idea!

Hi

I don’t own one of this year and am far from experienced within coins from S.American mints, but the things that I would be concerned about are…

- the date numerals.  They look somewhat less curled than others I have seen (the six and the nine)

- the coin looks oddly flat / dull

Personally I would be going for a graded example.  The one I have is from the El Cazador shipwreck and looks quite different in tone and wear.  

Best 

Dicker

Not my circus, not my monkeys

2 hours ago, dicker said:

Hi

I don’t own one of this year and am far from experienced within coins from S.American mints, but the things that I would be concerned about are…

- the date numerals.  They look somewhat less curled than others I have seen (the six and the nine)

- the coin looks oddly flat / dull

Personally I would be going for a graded example.  The one I have is from the El Cazador shipwreck and looks quite different in tone and wear.  

Best 

Dicker

Agreed, I thought it looked a bit “off”.

Decus et tutamen (an ornament and a safeguard)

YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5OjxoCIsDbMgx7MM_l4CmA

Unfortunately fakes - contemporary and modern are very common in this series. The even colour is odd but not unheard of but that may be that it has been cleaned in the past and artifically toned.

It doesn't seem to match any of the known 1796 Mexico 8 reales fakes in my copy of 'Counterfeit Portrait Eight Reales' but modern fakes are appearing all the time. What does the edge look like - it should have the correct design and the overlaps should be opposite one another.

I tend to focus on the smaller reales, and those of Spain rather than the colonies, as they are much less faked - well apart from the 2 reales!

I thought I might give an update after examining the coin with a jewelers loop in the bright sunlight.

Yes the date looks wrong not curly enough.

And the rim floral, or block pattern is good except for two places where their are indications of casting ( Lines running with the coins edge for a short distance ).

I will try to take pictures to post for other members edification.

I have found that a high res photo on a very big screen helps or a decent USB microscope that you can use to see the detail from different angles.  

If you have a reference coin that is definitely genuine it is much easier to do a side by side comparison.  

Best

Dicker

Not my circus, not my monkeys

Archived