• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Silver Monitoring Thread £ (GBP) only.

Message added by ChrisSilver

To discuss price action in USD instead, please see here: https://thesilverforum.com/topic/19861-silver-monitoring-thread-usd-only/

10 hours ago, HonestMoneyGoldSilver said:

@timsk - Thanks for that, asking the simple questions! OK this will be a lengthy post but here we go . . .

Hi HMGS,

Wow! I wasn't expecting that! 🙂

Thank you for going to so much trouble to write such a comprehensive reply. I really appreciate it and I hope other subscribers to the thread will too and hit the like button.

For me and my personal circumstances, the most thought provoking point is #8 about interest rates:

". . . When interest rates are low, the opportunity cost of holding gold and silver decreases, which can lead to an increase in demand and prices. The market recently had priced in a 50 basis points Fed Funds Rate hike, which partially explains the dip in PM prices a month or two ago, but when it became clear the Fed was going to raise 25 basis points, this was always going to increase the price of PMs, as the market had previously factored in 50 basis points. WHEN the Fed and BoE/ECB pivot back towards quantitative easing, the price of precious metals WILL explode. This relationship is strong and well understood, as you alluded to. I have been predicting the CBs won't pivot until 2025 but I may have been wrong about that and the major movements may happen in 2024 or in a SHTF situation, perhaps even at the end of 2023. You definitely want to be holding before the CBs pivot and not afterwards, as prices may never come back to the buy points you have targeted. Some people will just buy on allocation every month regardless of price and there is a decent argument for doing that. I'm a contrarian investor and only buy when prices dip, never when they rise. That's a slightly riskier strategy as prices may never hit your buying targets. . ."

I've noted your use of capitalisation. I fear QE will happen much sooner than you suggest due to the brewing banking crisis, especially Deutche Bank which, if it were to falter, would not only be a crisis for Germany (already suffering in large part due to the destruction of the Nord Stream pipeline), but for the entire EU. Deutche's been in trouble before and the assurances from Olaf Scholz, Christine Lagarde et al that all is well don't appear to impress the markets! Obviously, it's too big to fail and the German government will step in and do anything and everything to bail it out - but at what cost to the wider economy?

DBK_2023-03-27_08-51-39.png

I'm genuinely rather surprised that Silver has managed to push on up to where it currently is.  I expected far more of a base building effort than this sharp rebound.  Another positive weekly candle is forming today, and I feel that close tomorrow will give us a strong indication as to whether this recovery has legs or not.  In both currencies it is approaching strong resistance, but who knows, it may just punch on through and form some sort of consolidation above.  Interesting move.

New profile pic to support the current thing, because it's current year.

1 hour ago, silversky said:

I'm genuinely rather surprised that Silver has managed to push on up to where it currently is.  I expected far more of a base building effort than this sharp rebound.  Another positive weekly candle is forming today, and I feel that close tomorrow will give us a strong indication as to whether this recovery has legs or not.  In both currencies it is approaching strong resistance, but who knows, it may just punch on through and form some sort of consolidation above.  Interesting move.

Yup. Silver is right on it's resistance point now, the next few days will tell.

Gold hit resistance a few days ago and then dropped.

I've got as funny feeling we'll stay in this channel until certain people are good and ready to let rip.

54 minutes ago, SlugForAButt said:

Yup. Silver is right on it's resistance point now, the next few days will tell.

Gold hit resistance a few days ago and then dropped.

I've got as funny feeling we'll stay in this channel until certain people are good and ready to let rip.

Yes.  Gold broke out above the three (in fact four) previous highs in GBP, and is now consolidating above as shown on the weekly chart below.  Perhaps Silver will manage to do the same above the last three highs?  Hard to know if it will be turned down if and when it reaches the previous highs, or whether it might just punch straight through like gold did.  Obviously, it's performed far poorer than gold for a while now, so it has a lot further to go to play catch up.

image.png.c554365c4d1931f34bd94b440d47e4cc.png

image.png.94750e10d10ca4d622b01e61fb7bea27.png

4 hours ago, silversky said:

I can see gold dumping hard potentially if this banking thing seems to be OK. We know its not but the public & general speculators dont - could take time to come back also. 
Silver should follow but with it being so tightly controlled the price could easily break out so its unknown - the cats out the bag with the banks now as well as the CBDC's etc. 
The main thing for me is the miners has hardly budged much - usually they lead on an actual break out. 

The next month will be telling as we are in the next quarter & the markets have been so low on volume this week. 

Edited by Stacktastic

30 minutes ago, Stacktastic said:

I can see gold dumping hard potentially if this banking thing seems to be OK. We know its not but the public & general speculators dont - could take time to come back also. 
Silver should follow but with it being so tightly controlled the price could easily break out so its unknown - the cats out the bag with the banks now as well as the CBDC's etc. 
The main thing for me is the miners has hardly budged much - usually they lead on an actual break out. 

The next month will be telling as we are in the next quarter & the markets have been so low on volume this week. 

Imho I think for gold to go down significantly you need to see a turn in inflation and demand.  Even lower inflation of say 5% will still mean slow gains for gold and the global trend still seems to be the big buyers are de-risking the dollar as a global currency.

for gold to pull back to real historic prices I think we would need deflation and that seems a way off if not borderline impossible.

Peaks and troughs as always but if you had a billion dollars you needed to invest in a low risk holding the options remain limited. 

17 minutes ago, PipSqueak said:

If the spot went to £80 an Oz would you sell for FIAT cash, digital dosh, trade for goods or hold?

Trade for another safe entity, property/land etc

I like to buy the pre-dip dip

34 minutes ago, PipSqueak said:

If the spot went to £80 an Oz would you sell for FIAT cash, digital dosh, trade for goods or hold?

I wouldn't have much left by the time it hit £80. I will sell 50% each time in stages on the way up. Will sell for fiat and will use some to fund my next eBay/Etsy venture, some in digital (depending on the price at the time) and the rest on a brand new set of Joe Essex teeth. 

20 minutes ago, Bigmarc said:

I wouldn't have much left by the time it hit £80. I will sell 50% each time in stages on the way up. Will sell for fiat and will use some to fund my next eBay/Etsy venture, some in digital (depending on the price at the time) and the rest on a brand new set of Joe Essex teeth. 

That's a good point actually. If it went up - let's say 50% for example - then most of us will sell a good chunk, hold the rest, sell some more (if it goes up further) and so on because it's impossible to time the highs perfectly. Although we can usually gauge a good idea when the economy will pick up again if we study markets and economics enough (meaning knowing when the last opportunity to sell high is), so we can ensure some element of good timing.

But with the Black Swan events that keep happening in the world nowadays, maybe it's not so easy anymore.... (fancy catching a cold from a bat from a lab in China that was funded by Americans anyone?)

50 minutes ago, katyc said:

(meaning knowing when the last opportunity to sell high is), so we can ensure some element of good timing

Nobody goes broke taking profit but for me it's probably when the BBC put it in their headlines. 

1 hour ago, katyc said:

Although we can usually gauge a good idea when the economy will pick up again if we study markets and economics enough (meaning knowing when the last opportunity to sell high is), so we can ensure some element of good timing.

Or when the government banks get close to their inflation target. The one thing I can't get my head around is that USA will probably reach it before the UK. So maybe keeping it in dollars may be a good idea. 

Another very strong weekly close.  But will it continue?  I have a feeling that it will top out close to a full retrace of the previous collapse from the 20's, before working back down again.  If it punches through though, it'll likely spend a bit of time consolidating above before setting off on a spectacular rise.  But on balance, I think that's less likely.  I think a decline back to the 17's is more likely over the coming weeks followed by a real move upwards in the early summer.  Either way, it looks like a big move upwards is coming in the next few months.

21 hours ago, silversky said:

Another very strong weekly close.  But will it continue? 

No I don't think so as per you. A lot of people have probably got on board with FUD. 
Im in a very big physical group of people and they are all interested in metals now - they were not before. :) 
I think we could potentially see a really great dump short term
Not to mention the leverage manipulation to control the gold markets. 
not sure it will go to older lows though - I'm hoping for £15.30. £16.40's make sense for now. 

This is controlled though & I think that they want to bring down the banking system. 
that way people will cheer the CBDC's & I am not sure but crazyness could come through. 
There is talk of a forgivness of debt & that makes sense in some sense? 
But if people dump all equities there might be a window of time where metals reach bargain prices. ;) 

Then metals will possibly pump hard - the signs are there. 
Cashing in on the dumps are key IMO - all the way up. 
Junior miners are the most undervalued assets.
Might be wrong but dont think so. ;) 

Edited by Stacktastic

2 hours ago, Stacktastic said:

No I don't think so as per you. A lot of people have probably got on board with FUD. 
Im in a very big physical group of people and they are all interested in metals now - they were not before. :) 
I think we could potentially see a really great dump short term
Not to mention the leverage manipulation to control the gold markets. 
not sure it will go to older lows though - I'm hoping for £15.30. £16.40's make sense for now. 

This is controlled though & I think that they want to bring down the banking system. 
that way people will cheer the CBDC's & I am not sure but crazyness could come through. 
There is talk of a forgivness of debt & that makes sense in some sense? 
But if people dump all equities there might be a window of time where metals reach bargain prices. ;) 

Then metals will possibly pump hard - the signs are there. 
Cashing in on the dumps are key IMO - all the way up. 
Junior miners are the most undervalued assets.
Might be wrong but dont think so. ;) 

I think we're in agreement here.  I'm expecting a low back in the mid 17's again.  If it dips to the 16's then its a screaming buy.  Inflation is a backstop against losing money at that level, so if I had spare to pump in at that price I would be.  I might be a seller a bit higher up though, I think they'll cap all this trouble and tamp things down again for another year or so.  It looks like an abc ongoing in elliot wave theory, with a flat a and c wave likely at 17 handle.  But I could be horribly wrong of course.  I just think that anything in the 16's will be very short lived no matter what happens.