• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Silver Monitoring Thread £ (GBP) only.

Message added by ChrisSilver

To discuss price action in USD instead, please see here: https://thesilverforum.com/topic/19861-silver-monitoring-thread-usd-only/

5 minutes ago, MergingCultures said:

How do you price silver in your portfolio? Do you include the VAT or just go with spot and write off the VAT?

Jaysus grasshopper, you write in cost price ( even including delivery if applicable) then you know what price is suitable to sell at ( spot price dependant of course)

Buy on here will often be your cheapest option and you get to see exact items before hand. On here think of it as premium over spot rather than vat.

I like to buy the pre-dip dip

12 minutes ago, MergingCultures said:

How do you price silver in your portfolio? Do you include the VAT or just go with spot and write off the VAT?

I have 2 numbers my cost and current vaule.

Record the total cost as James said so what you paid for the items including delivery, vat, storage etc.

For current value I just take the number of Oz X spot price. 

Just now, modofantasma said:

If I bought a monster box of Brits now my cost would be £13150 (£26.30 an oz) just picked Atkinson's price as I had their site open. This would be fixed.

I'd call current value as £8875 though at current spot £17.75 oz this would change depending on the day I calculated

If you go through with the order, I'm happy to buy from you at £9.5k. 

Nice quick profit?

Just now, James32 said:

If you go through with the order, I'm happy to buy from you at £9.5k. 

Nice quick profit?

What on earth would I be buying that for 🤣 

To clarify you would use your actual cost when working out profit or loss but if you were for eg calculating your net worth on a particular day it would be no good valuing your assets higher than what you'd get for them 

What on earth would I be buying that for 🤣 

To clarify you would use your actual cost when working out profit or loss but if you were for eg calculating your net worth on a particular day it would be no good valuing your assets higher than what you'd get for them 

Yeah but surely including a premium, even if on the lower end?

16 minutes ago, James32 said:

Yeah but surely including a premium, even if on the lower end?

Say you bought £10k of shares last year and now they're worth £5k. Your cost is £10k but the market doesn't care and won't give you that for them. Equally if the shares are now worth £15k you can sell them for that, the market doesn't care that you paid only £10k

29 minutes ago, modofantasma said:

I have 2 numbers my cost and current vaule.

Record the total cost as James said so what you paid for the items including delivery, vat, storage etc.

For current value I just take the number of Oz X spot price. 

The cost and the current value of the metal is straightforward.

The question is, what premium do people add to the spot price? So therefore there are three numbers.

Is it just what you need/feel like? Or is it just easiest to do (spot+VAT) x 0.95? And therefore undercut the market to guarantee a sale. I'm talking Brits.

Basically, the silver part of my portfolio looks rubbish when I just do spot!

Say you bought £10k of shares last year and now they're worth £5k. Your cost is £10k but the market doesn't care and won't give you that for them. Equally if the shares are now worth £15k you can sell them for that, the market doesn't care that you paid only £10k

I get your point, but that's why I included ( spot price dependent) I ain't selling at a loss unless I dislike the item or in dire straights.

1 minute ago, MergingCultures said:

The cost and the current value of the metal is straightforward.

The question is, what premium do people add to the spot price? So therefore there are three numbers.

Is it just what you need/feel like? Or is it just easiest to do (spot+VAT) x 0.95? And therefore undercut the market to guarantee a sale. I'm talking Brits.

Basically, the silver part of my portfolio looks rubbish when I just do spot!

So the average selling price of generic 1oz coins currently on the forum is £24... so that's a premium of £6ish and usually falls within them parameters since I've been on here. Go a £1 back to keep safe realistically. 

Hopefully over time the silver price will rise up higher than your cost and put you in the green 🤞🏽

Of course, but that's also not the point! If I needed to sell it (or the wife asks how much I've invested!), it's good to have an idea of premiums to charge.

VAT on silver in the UK is ridiculous. 

7 minutes ago, James32 said:

So the average selling price of generic 1oz coins currently on the forum is £24... so that's a premium of £6ish and usually falls within them parameters since I've been on here. Go a £1 back to keep safe realistically. 

This is what I was looking for, thanks

Just now, MergingCultures said:

Of course, but that's also not the point! If I needed to sell it (or the wife asks how much I've invested!), it's good to have an idea of premiums to charge.

VAT on silver in the UK is ridiculous. 

Average forum prices right now.

1oz silver coins £24

5oz bar £125

10oz bar £240/£245

Kilo bar £680/£690

So everything under a kilo trades at £24/£25 an oz

5 hours ago, modofantasma said:

But what about the RRP?

78av.gif