• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Perth Mint under investigation over ethical sourcing of gold

Bumble

One of those things that I don’t lose sleep over.  Having been to the PM, seen the operation and also spoken to some of the management I just wouldn’t worry. 

Best

Dicker

Not my circus, not my monkeys

I remember reading an article not too long ago, that made the claim that MUCH(not all of course) of the modern US Gold eagle,  Roos,  Phils., Brits, etc. were(are) minted from recovered Nazi gold after the war.  If true,  maybe Pre-WWII gold sovereigns, francs, lire, etc. should solve that problem.

1 hour ago, BSquared said:

I remember reading an article not too long ago, that made the claim that MUCH(not all of course) of the modern US Gold eagle,  Roos,  Phils., Brits, etc. were(are) minted from recovered Nazi gold after the war.  If true,  maybe Pre-WWII gold sovereigns, francs, lire, etc. should solve that problem.

You (or the author) mean that gold was stolen by the Nazis, then taken over by the US/UK forces, then not reclaimed by, and returned to, the rightful owners or their heirs, and then used for all kinds of coins? Quite far-fetched, I'd say.

I don't know how much gold the Nazis confiscated from their victims, both private and banks of occupied countries, nor how much was in turn confiscated by the US/UK but I don't think it is sufficient for 75 years worth of bullion coinage, or for 'much' of it for that matter. 

58 minutes ago, xthomasx said:

You (or the author) mean that gold was stolen by the Nazis, then taken over by the US/UK forces, then not reclaimed by, and returned to, the rightful owners or their heirs, and then used for all kinds of coins? Quite far-fetched, I'd say.

I don't know how much gold the Nazis confiscated from their victims, both private and banks of occupied countries, nor how much was in turn confiscated by the US/UK but I don't think it is sufficient for 75 years worth of bullion coinage, or for 'much' of it for that matter. 

Yep, that's the reference I was thinking of.  Since I don't know what US dollar base was used to determine the original almost $8billion value,  who knows now many oz. it actually was. 

"Newsweek(November 4, 1996): 47-48.
Note: Newsweek's probe discloses that after 50 years of financial sifting, there is no huge stash of Nazi gold in Switzerland - it has been scattered worldwide. The probe also indicates that many other parties, besides the Swiss, and including the Bank for International Settlements (BIS), were involved in laundering Nazi money during the war or hoarding stolen assets after the war. What little remains of the estimated $7.8 billion U.S. dollars in gold confiscated by the Nazis may only come to $65 million, the amount held by the Tripartite Gold Commission, set up after the war to return stolen gold to national treasuries."

5 hours ago, Minimalist said:

Im not surprised. I once posted on here an account of a former British intelligence officer expose a British institution of where they are sourcing their gold - it came from the ivory coast.

What are the implications of this source?  It's no revelation gold coming from this region of Africa, its where we got the word guinea.

6 hours ago, FoolzGold said:

Because we all know the British, French and Italian Empires were a model for the ethical sourcing of gold. 😄

Add USA Goldrush/Chinese,  all of South America, Aztecs, Incas, Mexico, Persians, Romans, Egyptians, and on and on.  This recent idea of "ethical" mining of gold, carried out logically, would prevent one from owning any gold.   

On 14/08/2020 at 07:22, Martlet said:

What are the implications of this source?  It's no revelation gold coming from this region of Africa, its where we got the word guinea.

Found itGordon Bowden is his name, nothing came out of it, a few hearings here there with a few people but it never got any publicity or attention due to being directed, corrupted and censored by the British government.

50 minutes ago, Minimalist said:

Found itGordon Bowden is his name, nothing came out of it, a few hearings here there with a few people but it never got any publicity or attention due to being directed, corrupted and censored by the British government.

You misunderstood the question, not the source of information. What is the significance of sourcing gold from Ivory Coast. 

1 minute ago, Martlet said:

You misunderstood the question, not the source of information. What is the significance of sourcing gold from Ivory Coast. 

The point is about "ethical" sourcing. The fact that the Banks mentioned are shocked about the allegations of unethical sourcing is comical given that their own people are complicit in the process of "unethical" sourcing of gold.

50 minutes ago, Minimalist said:

The point is about "ethical" sourcing. The fact that the Banks mentioned are shocked about the allegations of unethical sourcing is comical given that their own people are complicit in the process of "unethical" sourcing of gold.

I see. So which institution is sourcing unethical gold from Ivory Coast?

Archived