• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Silver Una and the Lion PF70 sold for $13,200!

Wow... incredible. The Heritage Auctions Una just sold for $13,200. It was a First Releases PF70 (although I don't know how much difference a first releases designation makes, because all the Unas were sold out on the first day anyway)

https://coins.ha.com/itm/great-britain/world-coins/great-britain-elizabeth-ii-silver-proof-una-and-the-lion-5-pounds-2019-pr70-ultra-cameo-ngc-/a/3085-31690.s?ic4=GalleryView-ShortDescription-071515

3 hours ago, goldmember44 said:

Wow... incredible. The Heritage Auctions Una just sold for $13,200. It was a First Releases PF70 (although I don't know how much difference a first releases designation makes, because all the Unas were sold out on the first day anyway)

https://coins.ha.com/itm/great-britain/world-coins/great-britain-elizabeth-ii-silver-proof-una-and-the-lion-5-pounds-2019-pr70-ultra-cameo-ngc-/a/3085-31690.s?ic4=GalleryView-ShortDescription-071515

Crazy but even crazier for a small paper label 😂 

Decus et tutamen (an ornament and a safeguard)

YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5OjxoCIsDbMgx7MM_l4CmA

4 hours ago, goldmember44 said:

In the light of these crazy prices the silver is fetching in auction sales

I wonder what the next Gold 2oz Una & Lion will now go for next time one comes up?

4 hours ago, goldmember44 said:

because all the Unas were sold out on the first day anyway

Thats a bonkers result for a silver coin like this. As much as I'd like to believe thats the actual value I can't. World is going crazy.

Also call me pedantic but I had to quote the bit above to correct it. I bought my silver Una from the RM about 38 hours after release. It wasn't an instant sell out and there were some available for days after release. The hype wasn't there on release for this coin which is part of the reason I decided to buy it as initially I wasn't interested. I figured given mintage and the subject matter it had a good chance to be a slow burner. I don't regret revisiting it and purchasing it next day even if the odds of having a perfect example are against me.

29 minutes ago, Madstacks said:

Edit* did not see this all about first strike...Surely first release does not command that much of a premium? any other coins like this?

I don't think the first releases status had much influence on the price achieved... mostly the 70 grade.

29 minutes ago, goldmember44 said:

I don't think the first releases status had much influence on the price achieved... mostly the 70 grade.

I dont get that though, why would anyone pay over 13k when they are readily available for a third of that it seems?

5 minutes ago, Madstacks said:

I dont get that though, why would anyone pay over 13k when they are readily available for a third of that it seems?

That's the thing, 70 graded Unas are not readily available...they are hard to find, thin on the ground. We don't see many 70 Unas being sold, mostly 69s and 68s or even lower grades.

3 minutes ago, Madstacks said:

I have found three available right now for less than a third of that price. (give or take a bit in pound/dollar conversion) So that does not really stand up.

In America? Anyway, I don't have all the answers :D

No, UK:) 

Na i know mate, not trying to be argumentative or anything - Something just does not ring true about that price though. could even be two dealers bidding it up amongst themself to create more hype for coins they already own more of...

Whatever the case its a fantastic result for those who bought one. Sell it before it spots!

1 minute ago, Madstacks said:

No, UK:) 

Na i know mate, not trying to be argumentative or anything - Something just does not ring true about that price though. could even be two dealers bidding it up amongst themself to create more hype for coins they already own more of...

Whatever the case its a fantastic result for those who bought one. Sell it before it spots!

Numistacker knows more about Heritage auctions, it would be good to hear his opinion on this. In fact, he featured this auction item on his latest video, but at the time it still had about a day to go and only stood at $2,700. It would be nice to get an update from him about the result.

Yes that would be interesting...

Lets say me and you bought 5 unas each, and we still have them...What would be stopping us bidding against each other to raise the price of one to a silly amount - building a huge hypetrain at the same time, splitting the bill - and then we have plenty of others to sell on at a new higher rate?

I'm guessing thats highly illegal  - and not something we would ever consider ... But im sure it happens especially with things so limited. 

Aside from this Una & Lion - record crazy prices are happening more and more often these past few months, for other gold and silver coins (see coin cabinet sales attained)

Coupled with meteoric spot increases, crazy free money and bail outs being given out around the world, gilts & bonds near negative interest rates, stocks PE ratios crazy out of wack

I see this part of something much bigger, its the flight from fiat debt money to "things & stuff" that cannot be magiced out of thin air borrowed into existence 

Not just precious metals,  collectables, art, classic cars, watches even high end handbags are all still selling very well even in these troubling times we are going through

8 minutes ago, Madstacks said:

Yes that would be interesting...

Lets say me and you bought 5 unas each, and we still have them...What would be stopping us bidding against each other to raise the price of one to a silly amount - building a huge hypetrain at the same time, splitting the bill - and then we have plenty of others to sell on at a new higher rate?

I'm guessing thats highly illegal  - and not something we would ever consider ... But im sure it happens especially with things so limited. 

Every now I hear such cynical theories when certain coins sell for a large amount, but in reality I wonder if it's true in even a single case highlighted. I have never seen any evidence of it. And especially in this case, I am sure the auction deal is genuine and not fraudulent. We all know how popular the Una coins have been, particularly the gold. That the silver is now also catching some of that action, should not surprise us too much. Especially in light of the recent record prices of precious metals, and the desire to find assets to put money into due to the economic situation and fragility of the dollar system.

12 minutes ago, goldmember44 said:

Every now I hear such cynical theories when certain coins sell for a large amount, but in reality I wonder if it's true in even a single case highlighted. I have never seen any evidence of it. And especially in this case, I am sure the auction deal is genuine and not fraudulent. We all know how popular the Una coins have been, particularly the gold. That the silver is now also catching some of that action, should not surprise us too much. Especially in light of the recent record prices of precious metals, and the desire to find assets to put money into due to the economic situation and fragility of the dollar system.

3-4 other coins have gone for insane prices too, not recent/modern coins either. A hammered coin went for 4x expected. Big spenders May just trust the auction houses over fleabay too. 

Decus et tutamen (an ornament and a safeguard)

YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5OjxoCIsDbMgx7MM_l4CmA

24 minutes ago, goldmember44 said:

To be fair people can get caught up in auctions - and some people have more money than sense. I am cynical - and i wouldn't put it past some.

If anyone wants one there is one on ebay ngc PF70 for under 3k, and london coins (usually highly overpriced) has a pcgs first strike pf70 for £4499 - i found those within seconds, there must be more.

If you buy it and make a mint dont forget poor ol madstacks who missed out🤣

58 minutes ago, Paul said:

Aside from this Una & Lion - record crazy prices are happening more and more often these past few months, for other gold and silver coins (see coin cabinet sales attained)

Coupled with meteoric spot increases, crazy free money and bail outs being given out around the world, gilts & bonds near negative interest rates, stocks PE ratios crazy out of wack

I see this part of something much bigger, its the flight from fiat debt money to "things & stuff" that cannot be magiced out of thin air borrowed into existence 

Not just precious metals,  collectables, art, classic cars, watches even high end handbags are all still selling very well even in these troubling times we are going through

100% this. There are a few collector markets I follow and prices across the board have risen to crazy levels since March. Initially the thought for some was that with more people being home looking to fill time there were more people entering certain hobbies/establishing collections. That its still happening across the board though with prices going ever higher tells me there is more to it then that. I understand the mentality but I question how long it can go on and how secure that wealth will actually be long term.

Just checked NGC pop figures and from some mental arithmetic there are 279 rated 69 or less. 193 rated 70 which is just over 40% with this top rating. So if all this was correct then it would be worth potentially buying raw coins and grading them as you’d expect at least 1 from every 3 to grade 70. Obviously if the coin was still in mint condition 

But and I need to add this as I find this quite telling, I was looking through the results of @Numistacker latest NGC results which included a number of these Una and the Lions and don’t think any graded 70 which means submitting raw coins at the moment is not equalling the 40% top tier rate you’d expect 

Happy to be corrected on this and also to note if I had a raw one lying about Id get it graded just in case

Archived