• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Blemishes on new silver coins

BedMac

Hello Forum Members,

I've just received my lot of 1 oz silver coins (Britannias, Krugerrands and Philharmonics).

It is first time when I ordered coins and as a new-ish member of the community wanted to ask if some blemishes on coins are normal? Those are some dark spots on the reeded edge, some (minor) dents on the edges or minoir imperfections on the obverse and/or reverse. What is intersting - most of these blemishes are seen on Britannias whereas Philharmonics and Krugerrands seems to be much tidier. I've bought them all from the same dealer. 

Many thanks for your time 👍

Sadly yes, it’s normal.

The coins you’ve bought are ‘bullion’ - ie they come flying out of a machine and are mass produced with the bulk of their value being related to their precious metal content rather than their finish. The damage could have been done in production, transit or when the dealers split the coins out of the tubes to sell on individually - no way to really tell.

The quality control varies by mint and also by batch - The Perth Mint has a good reputation even on the bullion side but the Royal Mint can be a bit variable. I’ve had bullion direct from the mint before with scratches and minor dents too :(

Just wait until some of it starts milking!

Agreed with the above....Especially about the Perth Mint.  

Although I have a few tubes of QB’s and these are all in great condition considering they came from the RM which can be patchy

Best

Dicker

Not my circus, not my monkeys

Archived