• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Storage and VAT

artdeco

Hi all,

I have a technical and experiential question. I've always believed in physical but as I am primarily in SIlver, I really don't want too many more kilos at home for security and convenience. The question: I generally buy from gold.co.uk, they can store (in Switzerland I believe) after purchase. They say £10 per month. Is this for all purchases under your account or would you have to pay £10 for every purchase? Secondly, say I buy a kilo for around a thousand GBP and in 2 years it goes up to £5000. If I sell it back to them at 3% under spot, I don't have to pay any VAT yes? Only if I take delivery I pay VAT, and that would be on the original purchase price not on current value? Responses much appreciated.

• Founder & Administrator
15 minutes ago, artdeco said:

Is this for all purchases under your account or would you have to pay £10 for every purchase?

Fees depend on total of the value of precious metals under storage. You can see their fees explained here: https://www.gold.co.uk/allocated-storage/allocated-fees/ other questions may be best to ask them and then report back with your findings :) 

You may also wish to check their storage FAQ page here: 
https://www.gold.co.uk/allocated-storage/allocated-storage-faqs/

My posts are my personal opinions, they do not constitute advice or financial advice.

Please Follow / Like / Share to help spread the word of The Silver Forum:
TSF Instagram - TSF YouTube channel - TSF Facebook pageTSF Twitter page - TSF Threads (used for sever status updates)

Discounts / Offers
COTR Vouchers for Premium Members

Official TSF branded NGC label via COR grading
50% discount off of TSF mugs for Platinum Premium Members. (see info in Platinum Lounge)
Platinum Premium Members: Offers from selected Dealers - 15 dealers currently in the programme

Thanks Chris, that info seems to have been a trifle buried on their site. Seems a bit odd for the purchaser to have to make a contribution to "their" insurance costs, but a contract is a contract.

• Founder & Administrator
6 minutes ago, artdeco said:

Thanks Chris, that info seems to have been a trifle buried on their site. Seems a bit odd for the purchaser to have to make a contribution to "their" insurance costs, but a contract is a contract.

Screenshot 2020-07-31 at 21.13.39.png

The fees are needed to cover the cost of not only insurance but also I presume; the utilities costs of the secure facility and staff costs, admin costs as well as all other business taxes and other related costs, or costs to a 3rd party (e.g. the company who owns the secure storage facility eg. brinks) I can't comment exactly as to their exact costs as I haven't looked into how their storage works or have access to all of that information. 

Plus do not forget that they are also a business. I do not think you would find a company who offer you long term storage at no cost. You can of course also take delivery in a VAT free country and store yourself in your own selected vaults and pay for your transport of goods and your own insurance, but due to economies of scale I would presume that this would be hard to find a lower cost that what a dealer can offer.

Note that there are other dealers you can also look into for storage, so I would advise you to research throughly before making a decision on who to store with. :) 

My posts are my personal opinions, they do not constitute advice or financial advice.

Please Follow / Like / Share to help spread the word of The Silver Forum:
TSF Instagram - TSF YouTube channel - TSF Facebook pageTSF Twitter page - TSF Threads (used for sever status updates)

Discounts / Offers
COTR Vouchers for Premium Members

Official TSF branded NGC label via COR grading
50% discount off of TSF mugs for Platinum Premium Members. (see info in Platinum Lounge)
Platinum Premium Members: Offers from selected Dealers - 15 dealers currently in the programme

Thanks, very useful. Generally I am with Rickards on this, in the sense of "it should never be further away than a bicycle ride away" especially when tshtf. I guess my idea of diversification is "maybe put a bit in storage" and if it alleviates a touch on the govt theft (aka VAT) then so be it. Then again when I sell, fiat will be no use, that's why I want physical. Maybe I can get out of my storage PMs before we revert to zero on fiats/the new system. I'd really rather just do deals with physical for other assets, but Switzerland has been around a long time, I reckon  it will survive. I wonder if one can take a bet on that somewhere :)

Archived