• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Missing £1 coins, I know I’ve got a few. Have you?

I have one of each unique design / issue.  Just from change.  Same for £2 coins.

When I was working at a very large investment bank, you used to have to donate a few quid on a Friday to come in 'dressed down'.

There were thousands of people working on the many floors and there were literally buckets and buckets of cash collected. I came to an arrangement with the charity collection co-ordinator that I could search the change and have any coins I wanted as long as I put double the amount back in - very fair and all for charity!

Over a couple of months it was easy to find all of the coins issued for general circulation - even the tricky to find £2 coins and ahem a few Kew Gardens...

Best

Dicker

Not my circus, not my monkeys

28 minutes ago, dicker said:

I have one of each unique design / issue.  Just from change.  Same for £2 coins.

When I was working at a very large investment bank, you used to have to donate a few quid on a Friday to come in 'dressed down'.

There were thousands of people working on the many floors and there were literally buckets and buckets of cash collected. I came to an arrangement with the charity collection co-ordinator that I could search the change and have any coins I wanted as long as I put double the amount back in - very fair and all for charity!

Over a couple of months it was easy to find all of the coins issued for general circulation - even the tricky to find £2 coins and ahem a few Kew Gardens...

Best

Dicker

What a great way to collect them and donating double the amount you took out to charity.

I too have many £2 coins and the commemorative 50p’s, nothings more than a hobby really. I wish I could find a Kew gardens 50p, I guess it’s difficult to find them now being a 2009 issue, rare and everyone is on the look out for them.

Same as all above. I've got nearly 3 full collection's of each (50p's, £1 & £2 coins) nice little sets for the kid's just a few of the toughie one to find 

I get 2 or 3 people a week trying to sell me some of the £2 coins or 50p’s, honestly thinking they are worth hundreds and hundreds of pounds. They look at me as if I’m mad when I explain they are really worth face value, although if they are lucky on ebay they may achieve 50%.,, 100% more.

Only a few times come across anything with real value, the Olympics Football 50p, which raised £30 and a genuine Kew, which fetched nearly £300.

They are fun to collect, I’m not sure if their future value though. Too many people collecting them and to many minted. A little like the 1977 Crowns and the Charles & Diana Crowns, another coin people are convinced must be worth a couple of hundred quid and don’t believe me when I tell them they’ll be lucky to fetch 25p.

Many thanks, Elliot

Check out my ebay store, buy direct and get at least 10% discount. https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/investincoins888

You are absolutely right.  People with zero knowledge look at eBay and think their coins is worth hundreds if not more.  

I collected and maintain the collection for no reason other than just have all varieties minted.  They are worth face value only in 99pct of cases agreed. 

Best

Dicker

I cringe when I see what some people list them for on ebay 🤣 I just wait to see what i have in my change or ask family (the one's that know I collect them for the kid's) I won't spend silly money on the "fun" collection for the kids 

2 hours ago, dicker said:

Mr @LawrenceChard wrote about one such example where punters think they have a rarity.  An amusing article and of course well worth a read   

There are of course many other examples.

https://24carat.co.uk/frame.php?url=twopoundsrumour.html

Best

Dicker

Thanks for linking to that page. I just re-read it, and noticed "During a visit to the Royal Mint on Thursday 9th March 2000". It's always good to have an alibi!

Chards

Without ratching about I know I have 30-40 of the old £1 coins in a box somewhere all of them non standard depicting something on the reverse such as a bridge or the set of city coins etc. No idea why I kept them, just liked the look of them at the time😄

The problem with common sense is, its not that common.

I think this is natural.  My grandparents had a box of pre decimal and Victorian coins they kept. Keepsakes and a little history.  

Best

Dicker

26 minutes ago, dicker said:

I think this is natural.  My grandparents had a box of pre decimal and Victorian coins they kept. Keepsakes and a little history.  

Best

Dicker

That is a big part of the reason I collect them for the kids so they can see the designs etc of them because who knows my youngest may not ever really know what cash or 'spending' coins really are if government's get there way of a cashless society 🤣

41 minutes ago, motorbikez said:

Without ratching about I know I have 30-40 of the old £1 coins in a box somewhere all of them non standard depicting something on the reverse such as a bridge or the set of city coins etc. No idea why I kept them, just liked the look of them at the time😄

SNAP! 

@AgD wouldn’t it be sad! I recently tried to teach my 5yo about why the £1 coin was needed by making him carry hundreds of 1p’s! I think he got it, although he said he prefer the bag with hundreds of 1p’s over just the one £1 coin!

Very proud to say my little boy loves exploring coins and has a mighty fine ‘world coin collection’!

Many thanks, Elliot

Check out my ebay store, buy direct and get at least 10% discount. https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/investincoins888

On 31/07/2020 at 20:30, dicker said:

Mr @LawrenceChard wrote about one such example where punters think they have a rarity.  An amusing article and of course well worth a read   

There are of course many other examples.

https://24carat.co.uk/frame.php?url=twopoundsrumour.html

Best

Dicker

Holy Moly - I quote: Our selling price for sovereigns, currently £65 each, represents about £20 or less than 50% premium over their intrinsic metal value (about £45).

I got into this game FAR TOO LATE...................

Archived