• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

2020 BU Quintuple Sovereign

Zhorro

The 2020 BU five sovereign piece has just been released.

This year 350 were produced.

It has the George III mint mark.

Price £2,450.

So, who will be buying one?

https://www.royalmint.com/sovereign/2020-gold-proof-sovereign/the-five-sovereign-piece-2020-gold-brilliant-uncirculated-coin/

Last year I bought the 2019 version which was Matt for the first time, but it seemed to struggle to sell out – it was still on sale until a few weeks ago, but it now seems to have been withdrawn.  And this was despite the mintage being reduced to 500 from 1,000 the year before.

I do fear that the Royal Mint have undermined the desirability of this coin by issuing all these gold 2ozs coins.

Currently the 2019 is in stock with Chards for £1950

Even considering the recent rises in gold prices and rarity that £2450 is quite the premium on the 2020 edition. 

Not worth the punt I think. 

https://www.chards.co.uk/2019-five-sovereign-piece-bold-brilliant-uncirculated/9804

Visit my website for all my Hand Poured Silver: http://backyardbullion.com

And check out my YouTube channel 

https://www.youtube.com/backyardbullion

I have my eyes on it 😱 I think the winner is the 2019, but my wallet says no. Most dealer still has their stock, many collectors didn’t like it also, the price kept going up from RM for the whole year. I would be surprised how low the actual figure is 

16 minutes ago, BackyardBullion said:

Currently the 2019 is in stock with Chards for £1950

Even considering the recent rises in gold prices and rarity that £2450 is quite the premium on the 2020 edition. 

Not worth the punt I think. 

https://www.chards.co.uk/2019-five-sovereign-piece-bold-brilliant-uncirculated/9804

1 hour ago, Rgcoins said:

I have my eyes on it 😱 I think the winner is the 2019, but my wallet says no. Most dealer still has their stock, many collectors didn’t like it also, the price kept going up from RM for the whole year. I would be surprised how low the actual figure is 

I bought the 2019 five sovereign piece when it was issued, primarily because of the innovative Matt finish.  As far as I can tell, the 2020 coin does not have a Matt finish (I have seen no reference to it) - this may be due to quality control problems in 2019?  If the 2020 version does not have a Matt finish this will make the 2019 version even more special.

Also, I struggle with the relevance of the George III Privy mark.  Surely using the portcullis Privy mark that was used for the Brexit SOTD sovereign would have really stimulated interest in the 2020 five sovereign piece - and would have been appropriate to reflect the whole year rather than just one particular day..

Too many special sovereigns. They will only have a numismatic value, if they stop producing special sovereigns for several decades. Then the last years were the golden era for buying special sovereigns. If they continue to issue special sovereigns at the same pace, the extra premium is thrown out of the window and it's just bullion, retrospectively.

If you believe they will stop now and are in for the long game, buy it. If you don't believe that, stay way, that's my advice.

1 hour ago, Zhorro said:

I bought the 2019 five sovereign piece when it was issued, primarily because of the innovative Matt finish.  As far as I can tell, the 2020 coin does not have a Matt finish (I have seen no reference to it) - this may be due to quality control problems in 2019?  If the 2020 version does not have a Matt finish this will make the 2019 version even more special.

Also, I struggle with the relevance of the George III Privy mark.  Surely using the portcullis Privy mark that was used for the Brexit SOTD sovereign would have really stimulated interest in the 2020 five sovereign piece - and would have been appropriate to reflect the whole year rather than just one particular day..

George III Mint Mark, Fully Frosted
I don’t know why it doesn’t say Matt. 

3 hours ago, silenceissilver said:

Too many special sovereigns. They will only have a numismatic value, if they stop producing special sovereigns for several decades. Then the last years were the golden era for buying special sovereigns. If they continue to issue special sovereigns at the same pace, the extra premium is thrown out of the window and it's just bullion, retrospectively.

If you believe they will stop now and are in for the long game, buy it. If you don't believe that, stay way, that's my advice.

I like how you think - because it reflects my own mind. 😏

It is just not an attractive coin or maybe I just cant see it. Its 350 minted because the RM know its unattractive as the price and gold spot is at an all time high.

A pass from me on this one for now - perhaps a regret perhaps not?

Just seen one on eBay for £4,955 with a claim that it was sold out at the Royal Mint.  However, it appears to be still on sale at the Royal Mint and CC at the issue prices.

On 27/07/2020 at 12:42, silenceissilver said:

Too many special sovereigns.

Which doesn't make them special as far as I'm concerned either. The RM love to saturate the market with some products. I think @westminstrel and I have been singing from the same hymn sheet about these in the past.

Despite the mintage being reduced to 350, sales of the 2020 BU quintuple sovereign look to be struggling.  I can’t help thinking that if the Brexit portcullis Privy mark (mock up below) had been used, this coin would have created a far greater stir.  I for one would have been inclined to buy it. 

It appears that the flood of gold coins from the Royal Mint has totally undermined what was its premier coin.

What could have been:

2020QuintuplePortcullis.png

55 minutes ago, weihuameng said:

withdrawal_from_the_european_union_2020_strike_on_the_day_sovereign_coin_reverse_-_bw20sotd1.jpg.6f85bbce887e36e977c294035e011688.jpg On the Brexit SOTD sovereign coin, the crown is on the left side. 

Yes, but on the five sovereign piece the Privy mark is on the right side.

6 hours ago, Zhorro said:

Yes, but on the five sovereign piece the Privy mark is on the right side.

Personally I'm not a fan of privy marks on sovereigns. I see it as a marketing ploy which obviously works because collectors pay crazy prices for them. I get it that I may be in the minority though. To each their own, including me.

• 2 weeks later...
On 27/07/2020 at 14:06, Rgcoins said:
George III Mint Mark, Fully Frosted
I don’t know why it doesn’t say Matt. 

I've just seen today's Numistacker's video in which he featured this coin.  Though in the original marketing it stated fully frosted, you are right about the coin having a Matt finish and "Matt" is stated on the certificate.  It seems strange for the Mint to play down this aspect of the coin.

• 4 weeks later...

I've just looked on the Royal Mint website and it states that this coin is now sold out.  It certainly seems to have sold better than the 2019 version but of course there were only 350 examples of the 2020 coin compared to 500 in 2019.

8 hours ago, Zhorro said:

I've just looked on the Royal Mint website and it states that this coin is now sold out.  It certainly seems to have sold better than the 2019 version but of course there were only 350 examples of the 2020 coin compared to 500 in 2019.

I'm sure you'll be able to pick it up for 5% or so over spot in a couple of years.

• 1 month later...
On 10/09/2020 at 08:02, Zhorro said:

I've just looked on the Royal Mint website and it looks as if the 2020 BU Matt Quintuple Sovereign (Five Pound Piece) is now back in stock!

https://www.royalmint.com/sovereign/2020-gold-proof-sovereign/the-five-sovereign-piece-2020-gold-brilliant-uncirculated-coin/

• 1 month later...
On 26/10/2020 at 09:23, Zhorro said:

I've just looked on the Royal Mint website and it looks as if the 2020 BU Matt Quintuple Sovereign (Five Pound Piece) is now back in stock!

Now sold out.

Archived