• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Trading platforms?

New to all this. 

I was wondering what trading platforms you all use to trade on?
Are some better for certain things & what is the pros and cons of each one??

So far I have only really looked into trading 212 & free trade. 

Looking to initially buy some GDX & GDXJ, but will potentially invest into other things, if I feel comfortable. 

Thanks. 

I been using freedtrade app and etoro, these are my pros and cons, might not effect you depending in what you want to do

Freetrade

Pros:

• In pounds
  • Can open a stocks ISA for £3 p/m 
  • Easy to use

Cons

• Limited selection of stocks
  • Can't seem to take a sell position against anything
  • Not sure I can do fractional shares on everything but they've said they're rolling that out

Etoro

Pros

• Fractional shares
  • Can buy bitcoin easily (albeit you don't get them properly just the monetary value)
  • Can take sell positions
  • Large selection of stocks than freetrade
  • Can use leverage 

Cons

• In dollars
  • no ISA
  • People complain about the customer service but I haven't had to use them
  • All though they have more stocks than freetrade it's still limited

--------------------

I think trading 212 has more smaller stocks like miners and an ISA, they might be a good way to go, unsure as haven't used them

Help thread for members new to silver/gold stacking/collecting

The Money Printing Myth the Fed can't and don't money print - Deflation ahead, not inflation 

I use Trading212, but am new to it.

• No fees, tight spreads.
  • They offer an ISA, but can't comment as I am using the plain non-ISA account.
  • Good selection of individual stocks, most available through fractional shares. Few are missing, one category I notice is smaller cap miners. They are continually adding more companies.
  • Their ETF selection is ok. They cover the broad market ETFs, but lack specific funds like semiconductor and aerospace&defense. They have a gold miners ETF, but not silver miners (but they have most big names so you can mostly replicate it).
  • Great selection of trading indicators, and in the website you can create a template to apply to all stocks/etfs. Same selection in the app, BUT no access to your templates so for EVERY stock you have to setup your indicators.

20 hours ago, Kman said:

I been using freedtrade app and etoro, these are my pros and cons, might not effect you depending in what you want to do

I think trading 212 has more smaller stocks like miners and an ISA, they might be a good way to go, unsure as haven't used them

14 hours ago, swanky said:

I use Trading212, but am new to it.

• No fees, tight spreads.
  • They offer an ISA, but can't comment as I am using the plain non-ISA account.
  • Good selection of individual stocks, most available through fractional shares. Few are missing, one category I notice is smaller cap miners. They are continually adding more companies.
  • Their ETF selection is ok. They cover the broad market ETFs, but lack specific funds like semiconductor and aerospace&defense. They have a gold miners ETF, but not silver miners (but they have most big names so you can mostly replicate it).
  • Great selection of trading indicators, and in the website you can create a template to apply to all stocks/etfs. Same selection in the app, BUT no access to your templates so for EVERY stock you have to setup your indicators.

Good Im in the right area then. I have done the comparison of 212 & free trade & feel 212 would be a good starting point as long as you dont go with the the CFD option as it even says on the site "you will probably loose at least 75% of your money LOL. 

its has a 50,000 £ fake trading function which is quite cool. 
Perfect way to get a stupid 20 year old hooked. ;)

I can not find many mining stocks on it which is the main reason i want to start trading. 
am I wrong or does the GDX GDXJ not even on there?? 

What would be the best option for this?? Ideally US based, but Etoro was also on my list. 

Its not a bad platform for general trading, especially as i wanted to set up my own safe ETF portfolio across the world, such as emerging markets. 
But only when it all crashes again, which i feel it will in the next year or two. 

I find Trading 212 surprisingly limited, many quite large cap stocks and ETF aren't there, including GDX/GDXJ.  They are cheap though. 

Hargreaves Lansdown is the best i've found in UK for breadth of stocks, ETF, funds, but a quite high £12 fee doesnt really work for regular, small trades.  Very good for research though. 

So left with mix of Etoro for trading, Trading 212/HL for investing. 

24 minutes ago, Stacktastic said:

Good Im in the right area then. I have done the comparison of 212 & free trade & feel 212 would be a good starting point as long as you dont go with the the CFD option as it even says on the site "you will probably loose at least 75% of your money LOL. 

its has a 50,000 £ fake trading function which is quite cool. 
Perfect way to get a stupid 20 year old hooked. ;)

I can not find many mining stocks on it which is the main reason i want to start trading. 

What would be the best option for this?? Ideally US based, but Etoro was also on my list. 

Etoro has GDX and GDXJ, unsure about Freetrade

You can also do a virtual portfolio on Etoro that has $100k in 

Just as an aside, looking at my etoro account just now I see Bitcoin is taking off 

Help thread for members new to silver/gold stacking/collecting

The Money Printing Myth the Fed can't and don't money print - Deflation ahead, not inflation 

1 hour ago, Stacktastic said:

Many junior miners are missing, but the big names are there.
Trading212 has iShares Gold Producers ETF, very similar portfolio to GDX

17 minutes ago, swanky said:

Many junior miners are missing, but the big names are there.
Trading212 has iShares Gold Producers ETF, very similar portfolio to GDX

OK. I guess its just a collection of the big ones with a decent history then?? 
In theory it should trade the same way - right? I guess i can compare it all on Yahoo finance? 

I am guessing you can have 2 - 3 accounts, but only one ISA?

Thanks. 

1 hour ago, Kman said:

Etoro has GDX and GDXJ, unsure about Freetrade

You can also do a virtual portfolio on Etoro that has $100k in 

Just as an aside, looking at my etoro account just now I see Bitcoin is taking off 

OK might have a look at an ETORO type platform. Its a bit of a jungle looking at what to choose. 
I was thinking of buying a few crypto's, can you do that on 212 or freetrade? 

Etherium seems like a good punt. not putting much, but will certainly invest if there is another crash. 
probably about 2-5% of my earnings, or when metal prices are too high. 

Well Im on 212 now and it looks OK actually, Its far too easy to buy stuff based on a whim, I can see a lot of 20 year olds loosing all thier savings before the end of next year!!

I certainly think that there will be a major cost correction for precious metals, especially silver but I shall start now & invest little & often up and until a ceiling. I am kicking myself as i wanted to invest in Pinterest at the start of the year, thats doing very well. Well all tech stocks are, the NASDAQ has been on fire this month. 

Everything about this just screams BUBBLE!! But i wish my imaginary shares of Tesla were real as I would be cashing out a good profit by now. 

To some extent, it depends what  you mean by wanting to buy miners. Any broker will cover majors such as Newmont and Barrick. Most will cover midcap-sized miners such as B2Gold or Wesdome. Only a few (in the UK at least) cover junior miners and explorers. Another factor is how much you plan to trade. If you just want to buy a bunch of stocks and review them every six months then you don't need anything fancy. If you are planning to trade in and out of positions on a weekly basis, you probably want a broker that provides additional tools.

Hargreaves Lansdown are the biggest in the UK. They are not cheap, but they have good customer service and cover midcap-sized miners but limited coverage of juniors. They have good fund coverage and offer model fund portfolios.

For juniors and for more serious trading you might want to try Saxo Capital Markets or Interactive Brokers.

On 27/07/2020 at 00:30, Bumble said:

If you are planning to trade in and out of positions on a weekly basis, you probably want a broker that provides additional tools.

Hargreaves Lansdown are the biggest in the UK. They are not cheap, but they have good customer service and cover midcap-sized miners but limited coverage of juniors. They have good fund coverage and offer model fund portfolios.

For juniors and for more serious trading you might want to try Saxo Capital Markets or Interactive Brokers.

Thanks for that. 

I have decided to save capital and wait for now. Mining ETF's have skyrocketed, but that would have been a good short term play.
It's not too late mind you. 

The markets just looks like an over inflated disaster waiting to happen if you ask me especially as the economy is supposed to be in a recession. 

I might be wrong but it reminds me of the shoeshine stock tip story just before the great depression. 
Gonna carry on collecting metals and look at some other assets, but more importantly something to bring some money in. 

HL might be a good punt for the longer term dividend stocks & things like the S&P tracking  stuff i am watching. 
I have a lot to learn and potentially quite some time to wait  so might use the practice function on 212. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone, I went for 212 in the end. 

I know it does not have all the companies, but for a start its more than adequate and its very easy/cheap to use. 

Scarily easy! A lot of people will loose a lot of money in the next collapse!!

I have two accounts. My ISA is in X-O, very low fees but good for long term holding. My trading account is with Degiro, cheap as chips if you enjoy small punts but I have fallen out with them many times over the years - not with the trading software, just their policies.

Archived