• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Hello everyone 

I thought to share  a recent experience with you all to make you aware off what to expect when making purchases from the U.S of A.   So I decided to purchase a silver coin from the USMint As recent as last night,  I thought I’d try a silver proof American Silver Eagle ( standard US Coin from the said Mint) it was a little more than I expected to pay however I thought in the scheme of things let’s give it run for the sake of experience say.

the cost of the exercise is thus...... in dollars

coin.. 64.50

shipping & handling..20.85 ( yes nearly one third the cost already )

then today I receive an email to pay the import duty! Whaaaaaaat ?.. yes another whopping £ 26.04 POUNDS!!  ( 33.33 dollars

so in total 118.68 dollars for one Troy ounce of Silver 

Bargain!

You weren't expecting to pay VAT when this went through customs? 

You also get hit with the carrier fee for processing through customs and paying duty for you. i.e. DHL charge £11 on top of the VAT. 

Bit of a learning exercise I guess, but on the bright side better to learn it with 1 silver coin than a monster box 😄

Yes. Absolutely correct!

ambushed would be an understatement.

I dipped my toe in the water for this one however the lessons learned are that it is so much easier and less expensive to ship purchases from Europe 

9 hours ago, Melon said:

You weren't expecting to pay VAT when this went through customs? 

You also get hit with the carrier fee for processing through customs and paying duty for you. i.e. DHL charge £11 on top of the VAT. 

Bit of a learning exercise I guess, but on the bright side better to learn it with 1 silver coin than a monster box 😄

I've done the same with rounds bought direct from Silver Shield (goldensate mint) - silver at spot seems like a bargain until you get clobbered for insured shipping and duty. Nearly always turns out to be cheaper buying from a UK dealer or silver forums :(

22 minutes ago, TeaTime said:

I've done the same with rounds bought direct from Silver Shield (goldensate mint) - silver at spot seems like a bargain until you get clobbered for insured shipping and duty. Nearly always turns out to be cheaper buying from a UK dealer or silver forums :(

Yep.. totally get it, I tried this with one coin just to test the pricing system as a friend in the music industry had bought music studio gear from the .U.S a while ago and was stung with the add ons. (he warned me to be cautious)

we are lucky in that we have the silver forum and European mint..goldsiver.be etc, the list goes on they all have their delays in getting metal to you at a times however I now know where ,what, and who I am buying from with a certain degree of confidence, here’s to the shiny stuff 🍻.

• 2 weeks later...

I buy from a few sellers from the US on Ebay, they ship for 3-5$ to the Netherlands. List value as 1, mail it like a letter and up to 5oz sail through customs, time and time again...probably won't last :)

Archived