• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Hello new kind of

spark103

So I am newly registered here but I have been lurking for a couple of years and I have been happy reading but I just recently have had an issue and need input.

I recently purchased a Queens Beast  White Lion 1 ounce silver proof coin off Ebay from a UK based seller with 100% feedback. So I had assumed all is well but when I received the coin it had all the packaging but the coin was in a non-mint capsule. I emailed him about it and his response was because of Covid and that he bought by the 100's direct from the mint (assuming he's a dealer) the mint couldn't keep up with the capsule demand and were using whatever they could get their hands on.

Now, I have all the other coins bought from a couple of reputable dealers here in the US but am I wrong for calling him out or is there truth in his statement that the mint is issuing these coins in other than the traditional capsules. Now before you say I shouldn't even have to ask I am trying to give the benefit of the doubt.

Thanks in advance for any and all valuable insight you may have!

John 

Welcome to the forum!

I love this series and collect it as well. The Royal Mint has changed the capsule over time for the 1oz silver proofs (and other little annoying features like minor changes to the outer box for the proof coins), from one beast to another.  The Lion of England was a high quality a screw capsule, and later in the series they changed to a push capsule.  But I can't see them using two different capsules for the White Lion.  I have a few White Lion silver proofs and they all have the same capsule.

So I do find his comment to be suspicious, especially as the White Lion was released in February, so the capsules would have been produced ahead of the worst of COVID-19.  Maybe someone has evidence to prove otherwise.

Edit: And if I recall correctly, the 1oz silver proofs sold out fairly quickly, so I don't know how they would have been scrambling for capsules.

Archived