• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Stock trading advice please?

Hello, 

Im ready to start learning how to trade & wanted members opinion of the following?

- whats the best app, website or other service to use (want to invest in mining stocks atm.). 
Can you give me details & specifics as i am at the start of the road and don't have a clue. 
Not really interested in using a broker. 

- if I set up an ISA with barclays, I guess I can link that to the account and withdraw dividends or profit, assiuming I make on 😛

- Are there any good resources to use to speed up my learning curve? 

Asside from the actual trading & speculation, what other tips related to the systems & procedures would you say are vital or useful??

Many thanks

hi

you will need a broker / intermidiatry to buy shares for you, ( like barclays), you want one ( i suggest a S&S ISA) with the cheapest on going charges and cheapest cost on purchasing shares .. look here for plenty of  advice on investing and it also gives a list on brokers etc & costs 

https://monevator.com/find-the-best-online-broker/

you may want to look at i web & xo for share dealing only

cheers dean

• 3 weeks later...

I would suggest having a look at tradingview.com. It has a nifty "buy or sell meter" which, when you have been sucked into the rampers enthusiasm, enables you to be more objective. If you have allowed yourself to believe that a certain share is the greatest thing since sliced bread then a quick peek should either support that belief or make you think twice. 

Mining stocks are risky, very risky. By all means have a portion of your hard earned in penny risk stocks but also have a balanced portfolio. Remember none of us are experts and none of us have the city contacts that the sharks have. So you can try and beat the market or invest in the shares of funds whose managers know more about shares than you and I will ever know.

I guess a lot depends on how much money you want to invest. I'm sure there are some people on this forum who are rolling in cash and think in terms of investing tens of thousands of pounds every year, but if you're on a more humble income like me, first make sure all your bills are covered before investigating your options.

I've been reasonably well-off for the last couple of years so I started investing money for the first time ever in March of this year. I can recommend "PensionCraft" on YouTube for sensible, reliable advice. It's a boring channel and Ramin isn't particularly thrilling to listen to, but the dude is magic when it comes to advising about personal finance.

Pensioncraft

Here's where I've got my money at the moment:

Vanguard Life Strategy ISA:  Invested £2000 in LS 100% equity fund, £750 in Active UK equity fund. (plus another £300 I put in yesterday - not invested yet). I'm up 20% since March - it was a bit of a fluke that I put my money in when they were at a low. - (Going 100% equity is risky so I would definitely not recommend putting all your eggs in one basket.)

Trading 212 fractional shares: £500. I only started a couple of weeks ago, I put half the money into sensible investments like Shell, and the other half into businesses that are currently down in the dumps but will hopefully make a good recovery. It's fun, but I very much doubt it would beat just putting my money into an Index Fund.

BitCoin: £500 invested in April. Worth about £760 today if I sold it.

50 grams physical gold: I paid £2,260 I think it was, back in March.

100 grams platinum. I've forgotten.. I think that was about £1000-ish. Not sure.

Silver: I've lost track. I guess I spent about £600 or so, so far.

Another £1000 still in the bank that I need to move - I'll probably put that into Vanguard.

I've also picked up a couple of items on eBay and Facebook over the last 12 months I plan to flip for a profit, but that's another story. I did quite well to get an old-but-genuine Salvatore Ferragamo leather satchel for £200 and an old-but-genuine pair of Hermes boots for £190. Damn shame they won't fit me!

That is sensible and should grow ahead of inflation. I am very comfortable with equities so I don't tend to put money into funds - I hate charges. Equities means I can move fast when I want to. I have no problem jumping into a share and then out again a couple of hours later pocketing £50 after fees. I am also happy to sit in a share for years.

20 hours ago, HerculeHolmes said:

I guess a lot depends on how much money you want to invest. I'm sure there are some people on this forum who are rolling in cash and think in terms of investing tens of thousands of pounds every year, but if you're on a more humble income like me, first make sure all your bills are covered before investigating your options.

I've been reasonably well-off for the last couple of years so I started investing money for the first time ever in March of this year. I can recommend "PensionCraft" on YouTube for sensible, reliable advice. It's a boring channel and Ramin isn't particularly thrilling to listen to, but the dude is magic when it comes to advising about personal finance.

Pensioncraft

Here's where I've got my money at the moment:

Vanguard Life Strategy ISA:  Invested £2000 in LS 100% equity fund, £750 in Active UK equity fund. (plus another £300 I put in yesterday - not invested yet). I'm up 20% since March - it was a bit of a fluke that I put my money in when they were at a low. - (Going 100% equity is risky so I would definitely not recommend putting all your eggs in one basket.)

Trading 212 fractional shares: £500. I only started a couple of weeks ago, I put half the money into sensible investments like Shell, and the other half into businesses that are currently down in the dumps but will hopefully make a good recovery. It's fun, but I very much doubt it would beat just putting my money into an Index Fund.

BitCoin: £500 invested in April. Worth about £760 today if I sold it.

50 grams physical gold: I paid £2,260 I think it was, back in March.

100 grams platinum. I've forgotten.. I think that was about £1000-ish. Not sure.

Silver: I've lost track. I guess I spent about £600 or so, so far.

Another £1000 still in the bank that I need to move - I'll probably put that into Vanguard.

I've also picked up a couple of items on eBay and Facebook over the last 12 months I plan to flip for a profit, but that's another story. I did quite well to get an old-but-genuine Salvatore Ferragamo leather satchel for £200 and an old-but-genuine pair of Hermes boots for £190. Damn shame they won't fit me!

thanks. 

in a similar boat. I know Ramin, its OK for a safe bet, I find the comments below his videos more accurate & informing. I have looked at every channel under the sun now, but I like Ramins character, we have had a brief chat, but I ended up having a one to one with Maneco in the end as he has a better idea of whats actually happening in the economy. 

Single stocks: 

Yes I bought £800 shell & bp last week, no brainer - I shall add some more when i have the funds. I bought into 4 gold miners this week on the dip as well as an ETF - £600 isa total as a starter. Loads of physical gold and silver, although I will continue to cost average and buy in the dips. I am reserving a large amount of cash for a market crash, which everyone is predicting. I will buy Microsoft, Tesla & other solid companies like Johnson and Johnson, depending on how they have been effected, the price & a certain bounce back. Dividend paying companies are key for me. Once to hold long term that produce a fee that pays for my living. 

Crypto: 

I really want to buy crypto, but Im not sure? I almost bought Etherium before it shot up the other day. It will crash back down again I think, so I certainly dont feel like I have lost out. There are some other cryptos coming out that are very good apparently, not really looked into this realm yet as im still learning about investing. I think if I did buy crypto it would be short term. 

ETF's: 

I am going to start cost averaging a series of dvidend ETF's when I get some funds. I have a selection that cover the world in mind, with a special emphasis in developing markets. I am going to pick the best dividend paying ones & sink a lot into it if the markets crash.. Not quite at that point yet as im still looking into mining. 

20 hours ago, HillWalkerDundee said:

That is sensible and should grow ahead of inflation. I am very comfortable with equities so I don't tend to put money into funds - I hate charges. Equities means I can move fast when I want to. I have no problem jumping into a share and then out again a couple of hours later pocketing £50 after fees. I am also happy to sit in a share for years.

do you use a broker? As far as I have seen, there are no or little fees on 212 & free trade. Even the ISA is free. They make thier money from CFD (212) and probbaly selling data & earning interest on your money sat in thier account. 

1 hour ago, Stacktastic said:

do you use a broker? As far as I have seen, there are no or little fees on 212 & free trade. Even the ISA is free. They make thier money from CFD (212) and probbaly selling data & earning interest on your money sat in thier account. 

For quick trades I use Degiro. I don't like them, I argued with them but, at the end of the day, they are solid, cheap, legit and it works.

Archived