• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Another posting nightmare im in the middle of

Off the back of the recent @BackyardBullion story, I need to share this somewhere as I’m currently in the middle of it and feel quite upset, sick and at a loss (I’ll be angry afterward) and I know everyone here can sympathise.

This week on the forum I sold a 20g gold bar, posted it on Wednesday Special Delivery. Normally no problem. However Thursday afternoon I got a message from the buyer saying it hadn’t turned up, I checked the tracking and it hadn’t appeared to have left the post office so I went along this morning to ask what was going on. They produced a document where the posty had signed for collection, I had also sent another two SD’s at the same time and they were delivered on time (including a submission to Numistacker).

I came home and spoke to Royal Mail who although polite, were unhelpful, other than to say a claim can’t be started until 5 working days after it was due and it was probably either stuck in the creases of the posty’s bag or in the machine at the sorting office. Periodically they do check all bags and the machine apparently so i was told to keep my fingers crossed it makes its way in the next few days....surely there should be people who look for lost SD’s when they can see its not moving through the system....?

Wish me luck and also the buyer on here who will stay anonymous and is being  very patient. Even if the claim is successful it’ll hardly cover half the value. If it comes to it, i have no doubt it’ll be a long, painful process and lots of “so you really sent a gold a bar did you..?” type comments.

Lesson to learn - regardless of size, make it bulky and add weight to the maximum under the tier if possible.

Ive sent hundreds of parcels SD as I know a lot have here and never had a problem, then on something worth nearly a grand boom 💥... wish id put the right insurance against it too, but I really doubt they’ll pay out anyway. 🤢

I’ll let you know how I get on... 🤞 

@SilverMike

I feel for you buddy.

If you have not done so already, get back on the phone and ask for an escalation investigation. The call handler should be able to either put you through to the escalations team or at least guarantee a call back within 2 hours. 

The escalations team have a lot more information and resources (and I believe authority) to actually find out what has happened.

As to the claim for loss, insurance payout will hopefully work. It will potentially be a financial hit for you though if not found.

My advice for proof of the purchase is to put together a little PDF or word document showing the correspondence with the buyer, bank statements showing the transfer of the funds and include the buyers email (get permission first) and when the time comes this should be all you need. 

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Visit my website for all my Hand Poured Silver: http://backyardbullion.com

And check out my YouTube channel 

https://www.youtube.com/backyardbullion

For what it's worth, I've had this happen before. Sent a watch I sold on ebay, not particularly expensive, few hundred quid. Didn't show up, tracking said it was still at the post office. I have a friendly relationship with the local post office and they checked everywhere, no luck, definitely went out the door. 

After a few days of no movement, I refunded the buyer. They were being cool about it, but seemed the right thing to do. Was preparing myself to put in a claim, when low and behold I get a message from the buyer it's turned up with no explanation over a week late 😮 

Hopefully your story has a similar happy ending. 

5 minutes ago, Metalisreal said:

I ordered a 10gm gold bar a couple of months ago and to my surprise it was sent in a very large cardboard envelope (approx 40 x 30cm approx.) with a smaller cardboard one inside of it. Can't lose that one! 

That’s the way I’m going in the future. Bought a load of double skinned decent sized boxes last night on amazon.

thanks to everyone for your comments, advice and best wishes. I’ll chase them first thing Monday and try the escalation tactic.

If it turns out to be a hit to me then that will be annoying, what will annoy me more in some ways is that someone at some point will find it and head straight to the nearest pawn brokers. 

Hi Mike

I do hope the Bar turns up eventually.  I once had a scare sending an item to the Republic of Ireland to @mondy41, he’ll likely remember it too- that sinking feeling that the package is lost, but like @Melon my story is positive too-  34 days after posting it turned up.

Best of luck. 

11 hours ago, Metalisreal said:

I ordered a 10gm gold bar a couple of months ago and to my surprise it was sent in a very large cardboard envelope (approx 40 x 30cm) with a smaller cardboard one inside of it. Can't lose that one! 

I've had sellers on the forum do this and after having a couple of special deliveries put through the letterbox (what's the point of special delivery if they don't even knock?) I can see the benefit of it. The lockdown palaver seems to have given Royal Mail carte blanche to do whatever regardless of their own terms...I've interacted with some ace people on an individual level but the organisation as a whole is slipping badly. If more door to door couriers allowed precious metals and insured them special delivery wouldn't even be considered. The problem is I think it's a bit of a niche market in the big scheme of things.

11 hours ago, Metalisreal said:

I ordered a 10gm gold bar a couple of months ago and to my surprise it was sent in a very large cardboard envelope (approx 40 x 30cm) with a smaller cardboard one inside of it. Can't lose that one! 

I bought a 1/10oz gold philly from a forum member earlier this year and it came inside a shoe box! I did laugh but realised it's the best way to guarantee not getting lost.

These are the best boxes for posting. Perfect to get the right size for large letter and I havent had issues with them ever falling through the cracks. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B06WCZQ434/

Visit my website for all my Hand Poured Silver: http://backyardbullion.com

And check out my YouTube channel 

https://www.youtube.com/backyardbullion

With the price of gold on the rise, and the honesty and competence of postal services on the decline, it might soon make sense to add one of those little GPS trackers to your packages. 

Feel for you pal & up until recently every RMSD I have sent has been delivered on time & intact. In the last 3 months I have had 2 that failed to arrive on time both took 2 days but did thankfully arrive, I also put a claim in for postage refund on the advice of a member here & got a cheque from RM.

Lets hope your package turns up pal.

The problem with common sense is, its not that common.

Archived