• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

European Junk Silver

EuropeanStacker

Hello Everyone, 

I´m a new member here. I used to spend a lot of time on local forums but found this to be the most alive forum on the internet so far. So happy to be here. 

I had a few questions if someone here i stacking European junk silver? Americans stack Morgan Dollars, but Europeans have a lot of options as well.  
I heard from several people that if you have the right contacts you can find old silver coins around spot. Many of them would get melted otherwise. Unfortunately i dont know any melters/blacksmiths in Europe, but i figure this forum is a great start to point me in the right direction. 

How do you guys buy your European Junk Silver and what premiums do you usually pay?

Backyard bullion if you are around here.
Just want to say a huge thanks for all the inspiration and knowledge you been spreading through the years. It encouraged me to start stacking and open my own channel.

Have a great day everyone!

Silver 1 Lira Italy.png

16 hours ago, EuropeanStacker said:

Hello Everyone, 

I´m a new member here. I used to spend a lot of time on local forums but found this to be the most alive forum on the internet so far. So happy to be here. 

I had a few questions if someone here i stacking European junk silver? Americans stack Morgan Dollars, but Europeans have a lot of options as well.  
I heard from several people that if you have the right contacts you can find old silver coins around spot. Many of them would get melted otherwise. Unfortunately i dont know any melters/blacksmiths in Europe, but i figure this forum is a great start to point me in the right direction. 

How do you guys buy your European Junk Silver and what premiums do you usually pay?

Backyard bullion if you are around here.
Just want to say a huge thanks for all the inspiration and knowledge you been spreading through the years. It encouraged me to start stacking and open my own channel.

Have a great day everyone!

Silver 1 Lira Italy.png

Welcome! Also what coin is that? I don't think I've ever seen one before.

Minor detail but Americans WISH they could stack Morgans. I'm an American and our junk silver isn't Morgan dollars but pre-1965 dimes, quarters, and half dollars. Even poor condition Morgans typically aren't inexpensive. 

2 hours ago, RacerCool said:

Minor detail but Americans WISH they could stack Morgans. I'm an American and our junk silver isn't Morgan dollars but pre-1965 dimes, quarters, and half dollars. Even poor condition Morgans typically aren't inexpensive. 

Could be this one:

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces11165.html

Looks far bigger here than in real life  :lol:

6 hours ago, RacerCool said:

Thanks, thanks a very good point :)

and as xthomas already pointed out thats the 1 Lira - Vittorio Emanuele III, Italy. Very cool coin indeed! 

My favourite coins are the Latin Monetary Union coins from late 1800s. So 5 lira, 5 pesetas, 5 franc etc... generally 90% silver but beautiful coins. Premiums are reasonably high, a 20gram coin might go for around the £15 mark on ebay but worth every penny as a collector coin. I am very much of the view that ‘junk silver’ is far from junk so old coins make up a big part of my collection.

You can try the 5 French Franc coins from 1960-1969, they are 12 g at 0.835 Silver, so about 10g fine.

Here in Germany the Silberadler 5 Mark coins from 1951 to 1974 were 11.2g at 0.625 so 7g fine per coin. There are some that are worth more than spot, especially the 1958 J I think, which is worth a few hunded euro.

The 1966 100 Peseta coin from Spain is 19g at 0.8 Silver.

There is a lot out there, the Austrian Schilling was silver, Swiss Francs, Belgian Francs, I even have a few Silver Koruns, Lei and Leva lying around.

They are often on eBay for around spot, but not so often in bulk which can be annoying.

• 1 month later...
On 21/07/2020 at 08:58, Silverman1985 said:

My favourite coins are the Latin Monetary Union coins from late 1800s. So 5 lira, 5 pesetas, 5 franc etc... generally 90% silver but beautiful coins. Premiums are reasonably high, a 20gram coin might go for around the £15 mark on ebay but worth every penny as a collector coin. I am very much of the view that ‘junk silver’ is far from junk so old coins make up a big part of my collection.

Im so sorry for the late reply. I been off for a month or so working on my new channel. Thanks a lot for your recommendations, i actually have some 20,50 francs, some silver pesetas, some lire and some Swedish old silver. I totally agree with your view. They are beautiful and not too expensive now. What do you find normal to pay for these comparing to spot? :) Thanks again for your reply and sorry for my late reply. 

On 21/07/2020 at 11:22, NUFCrichard said:

You can try the 5 French Franc coins from 1960-1969, they are 12 g at 0.835 Silver, so about 10g fine.

Here in Germany the Silberadler 5 Mark coins from 1951 to 1974 were 11.2g at 0.625 so 7g fine per coin. There are some that are worth more than spot, especially the 1958 J I think, which is worth a few hunded euro.

The 1966 100 Peseta coin from Spain is 19g at 0.8 Silver.

There is a lot out there, the Austrian Schilling was silver, Swiss Francs, Belgian Francs, I even have a few Silver Koruns, Lei and Leva lying around.

They are often on eBay for around spot, but not so often in bulk which can be annoying.

Hey, thanks for your answer. Im sorry for my late reply. I will be more active on the forums for now :)

I do have French, Spanish, some Schilling, a lot of older Swedish coins and some Italian ones. I got some for much under spot which is great! :)

I will look closer to the German and the Slavic ones. Very cool! Do you get them from ebay or do you find other ways? 

I feel like there is some firms that buy to melt and pay melt value. I would like to pick up coins for around spot or less from them

Thanks again for your reply and sorry for being so late!

hi, a belated welcome to the forum. 

If you do manage to come across any old Cyprus silver coinage please give me a shout, even poor condition coins tend to always be worth more than melt.

Good luck 👍 

On 23/08/2020 at 23:12, OrangeSilver said:

you can also look for the dutch junk silver like the 1 2,5 5 and 10 guilders. They are 0.725 don't know if thats to low for you. Usually you van buy them in 1 or 2 kilo bags like 5% above spot

Thanks a lot Orange Silver,

0.725 is fine for me. Actually funny enough i made a video comparing coins from 0.999 down to 0.400 and tried to figure out when silver stopped to feel like "silver"

I found 0.725 to be good still :) Thanks i will check it out

Added 0 minutes later...
On 29/08/2020 at 13:54, BazzaC said:

hi, a belated welcome to the forum. 

If you do manage to come across any old Cyprus silver coinage please give me a shout, even poor condition coins tend to always be worth more than melt.

Good luck 👍 

Thanks a lot and will do for sure!! :)

Archived