• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 10,000+ forum members. 

BackyardBullion

The Royal Mail nearly destroyed £5,000 of my silver & Horrendous customer services

Unbelievable! What a stressful time that must have been, you are very lucky the neighbour had taken in the parcel, what a scumbag postman leaving it on the doorstep!

The hunt is on!

Follow my Morgan dollar quest and watch other video's on my YouTube channel: Peacemaker

You're definitely far from alone with complaints about the Royal Mail right now. I've had as many complaints in the past few months from customers as I did when I was using MyHermes for my business. The problem as I've been told by numerous people when I've complained is that they are short staffed across the board for reasons related to the virus so they're struggling to do the job right. I was sympathetic through the lockdown when I eventually just shut down as they stopped allowing me to send more than 3 parcels/day (WTF?!?). My sympathy has run out though and I agree - there are problems they need to get on top of.

Its a bad time to be sending out valuable parcels and I very  much agree - a good time for parcel theives. All of the companies are just leaving things on the doorstep. I had an expensive item delivered by FedEx the other day and the driver made no effort to notify me the item had been delivered. I heard a van so got up to check and sure enough there was a box at the door sat out in the pouring rain. Nice.

As for special delivery I thought they stopped insuring silver and gold when the pandemic started? I was under the impression this was why some businesses stopped using them. I know The Coin Cabinet has been using DHL express to send out auction lots - perhaps that's something you can consider for the future? Though of course that much silver is going to be big and heavy so the cost of that likely to be high. That is the problem with this situation though. The main competitor to the Royal Mail price wise is MyHermes and they are even more useless!

Glad you didn't lose out in the end and I have no doubt that was because you pursued it.

Posted (edited)

Thanks for sharing your experience. It helps us all in the end. I am really sorry that you had to go through this, but if there is anything to be appreciated from all of this is that it happened to you, and you can be trusted to help everyone else by speaking about your experiences. This in turn means that many of us who subscribe to your YouTube channel or read your TSF threads benefit greatly.

For what it is worth, given the amounts involved, it may be worth sending a direct message to their Executive Complaints team rather than just the usual complaints team. If you need the email address, please let me know. I am hesitant to publish it here, sorry. I think sometimes complaints need to go right to the very top from the outset, rather than slowly working their way up as teams continue to fail in properly managing them. 

Edited by AndrewSL76

Royal mail are great until there's an issue then its a total nightmare, i feel there's 0 transparency or accountability for up and down the organisation. Sounds like an annoying experience, but I have to say imagine being the doorstep thief coming across £5k worth of silver- think you'd deserve the promotion to treasure hunter after that 😂😂

Posted (edited)

Even before Covid19 things were going downhill with Royal Mail, mostly since they were privatised.  I have had a business account with them for 10 years, have paid them tens of thousands of pounds for services in that time, I even have an account manager and still don't get treated much better than what you describe above BYB.

Since being privatised it seems like they have been cost cutting and penny pinching everywhere possible.  The account managers don't appear to care anymore and it seems like they have had a lot of responsibilities taken away from them so they are now no more than glorified customer services staff.

Have you tried speaking to one of the couriers to see if you can agree for them to carry and insure your PM's on a special arrangement basis?

Edited by Goldhooked

I received a cheque this morning for £10.50 from R/Mail for a one day late S/D parcel. I have noticed the last couple of S/D have been put through the letterbox, no signature. 

Sorry to hear what happened to BYB, pretty horrendous.

You know what the absolute worst thing about complaining to the Post Office is? 

It isn't the wait times

It isn't disgruntled staff

It isn't the staff that are bad at their jobs

It is the fact that they investigate themselves. They are the judge, jury and executioner of their own actions. No chance in hell of ever improving a service unless the public takes action. 

I would suggest everyone makes claims for items even a minute later - any small breach of the T&C's and they can get stung I say. 

Rant over. 

Visit my website for all my Hand Poured Silver: http://backyardbullion.com

And check out my YouTube channel 

https://www.youtube.com/backyardbullion

Wow, what an absolute nightmare :(

I've only ever had one major problem with SD ('apart from' approx £2k worth of silver bought on here being sent all around the country for a whole week for no apparent reason whatsoever). The seller of that on here and myself agreed to split the refunded postage (£35 odd) between the two of us. I felt I should have got more for a whole week wasted at my end, but the seller seemed genuine, a nice person, and just as stressed as me, so I didn't want to ask him to try to claim any extra compensation (which I don't think he would have got anyway).

More recently I had around £200 of silver (by weight) by SD go 'missing'. This wasn't bullion - it was a custom pour and was very special to me (and the pourer). I also know the seller would have gone to extra lengths to make the whole package very special indeed, and might possibly have included some personal message that may have slightly compromised the address it was sent to (luckily I use quite a few, but still...).

SD is tracked and videoed etc I believe at every single stage once it's left the local post office. Yet all we got in the end (after an unreasonable amount of time imo - it was many weeks for a supposed next day delivery) was 'sorry, here's the value of the item back'.

It can only have been theft by staff imho. If it wasn't afaik they made absolutely no effort to clarify that to the sender afterwards - there was simply no communication after the refund.

Shocking stuff :(

@kimchi

Yowzer, that sounds terrible. At least my silver turned up.

They are a total joke to be honest. Not impressed with the customer service follow up either.

1 hour ago, BackyardBullion said:

It is the fact that they investigate themselves. They are the judge, jury and executioner of their own actions. No chance in hell of ever improving a service unless the public takes action. 

Absolutely. They investigate themselves, admit nothing, and then give you your money back. I didn't want to further trouble the seller (who felt terrible - and not their fault at all!) in my recent experience just posted above, but I did consider that it was worth reporting to the police.

1 hour ago, BackyardBullion said:

I would suggest everyone makes claims for items even a minute later - any small breach of the T&C's and they can get stung I say.

I don't know how that works with the postie as mine are great, I wouldn't be surprised if the Mail blames them for late service when they could just be having trouble parking up etc, and I wouldn't want them to have that. An hour or two however I would always claim.

I put a claim in for late specials on 4 parcels.

They paid 1 so I called up, they then paid 2 more. So I have to call up again to sort the last one out.

This happens every time I claim.

Please visit my  Sub Forum thanks for looking.               

I saw your video on youtube, until the end.

I tought swedish postnord suck hard.

But royal mail , wow 😱😱.

Crazy stuff

Afraid I fell victim to Royal Mails new Covid delivery policy, I’ll not go on too long about it, other than say it was a learning experience.

3 coins I bought from a dealer I’d used a good few times before were late, so on checking with him, he provided similar track and trace details (I knew he’d posted, never a problem).

The simple moral was the new system doesn’t require signatures, the postie can write their staff number or whatever eg “Covid 19” and say it’s delivered.

The local office explained they write a code once delivered into their app, which records the exact whereabouts its logged; in my case supposedly on my drive. He explained he’d never had a complaint in 20 years. Well I equally explained I’d never made one ever. Basically, if you’re not in and items are signed for by the postie, you haven’t a leg to stand on. As to what happened to them, not a clue, but someone was an £100 odd quid richer at my expense.

Only moral to my story, is now I don’t go out if expecting a valuable delivery.

Sorry to hear that you have had issues with Royal Mail, must have been very stressful to have thought that they destroyed the parcel.

In the end did they confirm what items actually breached the terms or agreed that there wasn’t a breach? 

For private individuals sending parcels containing PM, Royal Mail Special Delivery is realistically the only option. And in general very reliable, but horrible to hear this horrible story of when something did go wrong.

7 hours ago, BackyardBullion said:

But we have no choice really. Couriers wont send metals most of the time, let alone insure them.

There is an option that most dealers use, outlined in this video from SD Bullion (note that in no way this post is sponsored by them, just that they explained it in a very simple way, so I liked their video) But unless a precious metals dealer sending large quantities and have the contracts it’s basically impossible to insure and ship with other couriers. The insurence premiums can also be quite high.

My posts are my personal opinions, they do not constitute advice or financial advice.

Please Follow / Like / Share to help spread the word of The Silver Forum:
TSF Instagram - TSF YouTube channel - TSF Facebook pageTSF Twitter page

🎥 Check out our YouTube Channel, a NEW video released every Friday 🎥

There are a lot of people on YouTube and even here on the forum that have suggested that this might have been attempted theft.

The more I think about things the more I want to get to the bottom of this. 

It would have been all too easy for that parcel to have gone missing or items to have gone missing and there would have been no recourse at all for getting insurance. They said it breached their T&C's

They would have investigated themselves and found no fault.

Also, the doorstep thing - no recourse if the postie had rung a mate up to say he'd left a £2500 parcel on the doorstep. Again, no insurance as it says delivered.

I will be calling up Royal Mail again tomorrow and see what they say.

Cookies & terms of service

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. By continuing to use this site you consent to the use of cookies and to our Privacy Policy & Terms of Use