• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

High value trade & collectible items?

I was interested in the 'art flipping' thread & wondered what the best items to buy & sell in the short term, or hold onto for the long term. 

Obvious example would be Wine.

Im not too interested in fads, more tried and tested stuff (like art).
Im willing to take a bit of risk but not a lot as I dont have the money to play with. 

Obviously I would start off safe and then diversify when i know a lot more about it. 

Cheers. 

• 2 weeks later...

The world of fossils and precious minerals can be interesting. I collect them for collections sake, but so often I come across massively underpriced specimens which I could easily flip for double the cost. Keep an eye out in Homesense and TK Maxx in the UK, they often stock underpriced ones, have to get them quick before random browsers inevitably ding them. Markets and car boot sales are another great source. Or if you have the cash, head to morocco and get some froma good source (lots of fakes on stalls there though so research needed)

1 hour ago, SeymourC said:

The world of fossils and precious minerals can be interesting. I collect them for collections sake, but so often I come across massively underpriced specimens which I could easily flip for double the cost. Keep an eye out in Homesense and TK Maxx in the UK, they often stock underpriced ones, have to get them quick before random browsers inevitably ding them. Markets and car boot sales are another great source. Or if you have the cash, head to morocco and get some froma good source (lots of fakes on stalls there though so research needed)

Fossils here in florida are common, i have a mamoth bone, maybe 2 feet long which was cheap, its all dependent on buyers demand, i havefossilized coral, a rarer type i found myself on the way to keywest, i foundnice flipping can be jewelry, if you get a local jeweler you cah flip for 50% over cost quickly, maybe even more with this silver and gold rise,greed will out.

On 24/07/2020 at 00:27, SeymourC said:

That sounds interesting & its not somehting that will go out of date any time soon. 
TK Maxx? What sort of things are we talking a bout here, do you have any decent sources. 

On 24/07/2020 at 07:38, StackerCollector said:

Whiskey

Yes thats a good shout, although I already distil my own premium spirits, but storing some top shelf stuff over time might be a good bet??
Something I need to look into. 

Edited by Stacktastic

5 hours ago, Stacktastic said:

That sounds interesting & its not somehting that will go out of date any time soon. 
TK Maxx? What sort of things are we talking a bout here, do you have any decent sources. 

TK Maxx and Homesense are the same store, just Homesense only stocks their "Home" section and in greater quantity. I call in whenever I'm in town and browse the home decor section. They often stock geodes and other crystals and sometimes fossils (usually Orthoceras, an ancient squid from morocco), usually below what you'd pay at a dedicated fossil/mineral store.

Other than that I browse ebay (risky, lot of fakes in the world) and some UK based fossil shops that stock good quality specimens at decent prices (https://charmouthfossils.com is a favourite) The Morocco and Madagascar sections have some amazing display pieces. If there's an ornate trilobite on they're good to snap up, a spiny one can fetch hundreds and over a thousand if it's large, detailed and carefully prepared so it stands out of its matrix. Preparing one with a tiny sandblaster to reveal it from its matrix is an amazing markup and fairly simple, if fiddly.

As for Whiskey, if you can get your hands on "Blanton's Single Barrel" you can charge what you want for it to dedicated fans (thirsty for some myself).

Edited by SeymourC

If you  have the room guitars. Five of the nine hanging in my living room wall are worth more than I bought them for. The last one I flipped quickly cost £9, after I gave it a service and new strings (£5), sold it for £114, and it's not worth that amount. I've been doing it for 15-20 years, and I know what I need to look out for. A JV or SQ (very early made in Japan) Squier could well be up for £120-150, I know I can sell them for £400-600. 

I did let a 1984 ES-335 go for £1200, bought it for £750. Now if I had kept til now £2250+ but hey

On 01/08/2020 at 10:01, tallthinkev said:

If you  have the room guitars. Five of the nine hanging in my living room wall are worth more than I bought them for. The last one I flipped quickly cost £9, after I gave it a service and new strings (£5), sold it for £114, and it's not worth that amount. I've been doing it for 15-20 years, and I know what I need to look out for. A JV or SQ (very early made in Japan) Squier could well be up for £120-150, I know I can sell them for £400-600. 

I did let a 1984 ES-335 go for £1200, bought it for £750. Now if I had kept til now £2250+ but hey

This would be of interest, I have always liked guitars. Got a maple strat on my wall already. 
Nowwww. I have a crowbar, where does Eric Clapton live??? ;)

To be fair I would be better at buying guns at auction as the mark up on them can be super high!! Less moving parts on a shotgun thats for sure. 

Edited by Stacktastic

3 hours ago, Stacktastic said:

This would be of interest, I have always liked guitars. Got a maple strat on my wall already. 
Nowwww. I have a crowbar, where does Eric Clapton live??? ;)

To be fair I would be better at buying guns at auction as the mark up on them can be super high!! Less moving parts on a shotgun thats for sure. 

Moving parts one guitar can be a few as 6

On 28/07/2020 at 18:27, AppleZippoandMetronome said:

Lego. Seriously - look into it.

I might do actually I was researching this yesterday and you are correct. 

I dont however want to seining tons of my time at boot fairs or Ebay. I need to find high value items that can be bought low & sold high to yield at least £500 profit per transaction. 

@SeymourC i had a bottle of blantons single barrel, got it when it was easy to buy and a lot cheaper. Wish i kept it now lol.

@Stacktastic there is a thread on here about collecting whiskey. Really you need to buy and hold. Watches can be a great flip - if you know what you’re doing and can get hold of the sought after models!

In truth though I don’t think there is such thing as an easy, regular £500 to be made on anything easily. Otherwise  everyone would be either doing it or certainly not sharing their secrets on a forum! If you do find something please do share though.

17 hours ago, AuricGoldfinger said:

i had a bottle of blantons single barrel, got it when it was easy to buy and a lot cheaper. Wish i kept it now lol.

I've had a few bottles in my time, drank them all, only regret is that I didn't buy more!

• 4 weeks later...

I will be buying the new stuff, i plan to do something similar for my son. Macallan has much bigger distillery now but also has a much bigger drinker and collector market so i do think the price will still go up. In 30 years a 2020 bottle of Macallen 18 will definitely be worth a lot more than it is today. It won’t be worth more than a bottle from 1990 but i dread to think what they will be worth by then.

16 hours ago, Elements said:

Something might interest this thread

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-somerset-54040307

This is something i will start doing I think (I would rather buy my kids a proof collectible gold, silver or platinum coin I think though - takes up a lot less space and won't spoil). Having said that what breweries would you recommend? I have read that old Bourbon is super expensive as it never used to be that popular - so its all been drunk, so might be worth hunting down specific bottle of them, especially if we hit a depression and people want to sell cheap??

I think i need to spend some time looking at this and artwork & collectible shotguns as i have a few guns already &am near the gun auctions?? 

Edited by Stacktastic

• 1 month later...

@Stacktastic I’m a bit late to your thread but I’m surprised nobody has mentioned militaria.

Prices for collectibles are always going up, particularly those from Boer War, WW1 and even earlier. They’re not making them anymore.

War medals in particular for acts of gallantry are a good investment.

On 12/10/2020 at 14:23, Foster88 said:

@Stacktastic I’m a bit late to your thread but I’m surprised nobody has mentioned militaria.

Prices for collectibles are always going up, particularly those from Boer War, WW1 and even earlier. They’re not making them anymore.

War medals in particular for acts of gallantry are a good investment.

Good call. Thanks. :)

• 1 month later...

These boxing cards can be expensive to buy. My mother in law gave these to me the other day and I looked them up to see what they would fetch. I was quite shocked at some of the prices but it all depends on what someone is willing to pay. There isn't a full set here, just 62 of them but there were over 100 in the series.

IMG_0656.JPG

IMG_0660.JPG

IMG_0663.JPG

IMG_0661.JPG

IMG_0664.JPG

IMG_0665.JPG

• 6 months later...

Im 90% out of the stock market now and I am considering longer term tangible investment ideas again. 

Im buying a pregnant cow this afternoon :P
If I knew the famer would not nick my money, the Macadamea tree looks good, even with £500. 

I am a little tempted to invest in the wine service though, especially if i dont have to take delivery. 
Thought about art but its too subjective for my liking. 

tree.png

Edited by Stacktastic

• 1 year later...

Its a years or so on now & I have onely really collected some rum, but I want to step it up a bit and diversify. 
I have created a little area for stuff which will be locked away from the kids. So anyone got any fresh ideas? 
Im ploughing any spare capital into tangible assets as we enter this unknown period in history with regards to ownership, wealth & currency. 

I have wondered about elite shungite spheres as its a finite resource - they will at least hold thier value & are fabulous for EMF's and negative energy. 
Not sure how much in value the gold blend will go, but its worth a punt might go up 100% by this time next year actually.. 😛 

IMG_9678 2.jpg

Edited by Stacktastic

Cookies & terms of service

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. By continuing to use this site you consent to the use of cookies and to our Privacy Policy & Terms of Use