• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

On 22/03/2021 at 19:19, Stacktastic said:

great, I assumed as much tbh.
Copper is Copper, its not hall marked or numbered or anything. ;)

Probably sa bit like VW & Skoda. 

They ended up sending a Geiger bar after all 🤷‍♂️ looks nice (shame it's not gold 🤣) Won't be making it a habit at those prices though.

6 hours ago, KPW82 said:

They ended up sending a Geiger bar after all 🤷‍♂️ looks nice (shame it's not gold 🤣) Won't be making it a habit at those prices though.

I like to think that you could have bought half the same bar in silver for the same price before 2004! 
My maths is not great but thats £30 kg to £895 kg in 6 years.
One off I am not so sure given the cycle & demand vs supply going forward. 
You could have bought almost 2 x 5kg for the same price not long ago.
Thats impressive growth in price. 

Edited by Stacktastic

2 hours ago, Stacktastic said:

I like to think that you could have bought half the same bar in silver for the same price before 2004! 
My maths is not great but thats £30 kg to £895 kg in 6 years.
One off I am not so sure given the cycle & demand vs supply going forward. 
You could have bought almost 2 x 5kg for the same price not long ago.
Thats impressive growth in price. 

True, the premium on the Geiger (etc) bars is pretty hefty but they look a lot nicer than the hand poured ones I've seen on ebay etc, I didn't buy this as an investment anyway I just wanted it 🤣

8 hours ago, KPW82 said:

Pics or it didn't happen 😁

I weighed in around 2 tonne of scrap copper and brass around 3 years ago. looking to build my stash up again but keep it for longer. its mostly pipe and gets weighed as 98 percent. its not worth the additional processing to get the extra price per tonne. I cut the lengths into approx 1 ft long pieces and stack them all up in bags. Not processed any for a while and could do with a big sort out, its good once you can see a real stash building up. I looked into trying to find somewhere that could turn it into bars or even crush it into bales for me but just don't think that sort of thing is available on a non commercial scale.

11 minutes ago, AuricGoldfinger said:

I weighed in around 2 tonne of scrap copper and brass around 3 years ago. looking to build my stash up again but keep it for longer. its mostly pipe and gets weighed as 98 percent. its not worth the additional processing to get the extra price per tonne. I cut the lengths into approx 1 ft long pieces and stack them all up in bags. Not processed any for a while and could do with a big sort out, its good once you can see a real stash building up. I looked into trying to find somewhere that could turn it into bars or even crush it into bales for me but just don't think that sort of thing is available on a non commercial scale.

I like to cut them into short lengths and then i flatten them with a lump hammer so they take up much less space and you can stack them better.

1 minute ago, theylivewesleep27 said:

I like to cut them into short lengths and then i flatten them with a lump hammer so they take up much less space and you can stack them better.

I try and weigh up (pun intended) the time it takes to process vs money saved etc but agree can save on a lot of space!

2 hours ago, dwreck said:

My copper stash is pretty heavy. Probably almost $100 face by now

20210328_031511.jpg

I recently realised that the "copper" coins that i stack are actually made of bronze, and lots of scrap yards dont even buy bronze, and if they do you get a really low price for it.

9 hours ago, theylivewesleep27 said:

I recently realised that the "copper" coins that i stack are actually made of bronze, and lots of scrap yards dont even buy bronze, and if they do you get a really low price for it.

Always a place on ebay for something like that.

• 5 weeks later...

Central bankers are politicians disguised as economists or bankers. They’re either incompetent or liars. So, either way, you’re never going to get a valid answer.” - Peter Schiff

Sound money is not a guarantee of a free society, but a free society is impossible without sound money. We are currently a society enslaved by debt.

If you are a new member and want to know why we stack PMs look at this link https://www.thesilverforum.com/topic/56131-videos-of-significance/#comment-381454

I've been toying with the idea of buying a 5 kilo copper bar and have had a couple on my watch list for a good few months now, what I have noticed is the price never goes up as copper spot goes up like gold and silver does.  This tells me the price is so vastly over inflated to begin with they have masses of "wiggle room" before they actually need to increase the price to reflect any increase in spot.

1 hour ago, Scuzzle said:

I've been toying with the idea of buying a 5 kilo copper bar and have had a couple on my watch list for a good few months now, what I have noticed is the price never goes up as copper spot goes up like gold and silver does.  This tells me the price is so vastly over inflated to begin with they have masses of "wiggle room" before they actually need to increase the price to reflect any increase in spot.

The 5kg bars were £95 this time last year so I would say that it has gone up, since then anyway. ;)

But you may be right? 

18 minutes ago, Stacktastic said:

The 5kg bars were £95 this time last year so I would say that it has gone up, since then anyway. ;)

But you may be right? 

Geiger Edelmetalle website has them now for 121 Euros, roughly £105, plus delivery on top. I think I paid around £75 a few years ago for one.

3 hours ago, MickB said:

Geiger Edelmetalle website has them now for 121 Euros, roughly £105, plus delivery on top. I think I paid around £75 a few years ago for one.

Id just wait on this copper like commodites are going to fly!

Central bankers are politicians disguised as economists or bankers. They’re either incompetent or liars. So, either way, you’re never going to get a valid answer.” - Peter Schiff

Sound money is not a guarantee of a free society, but a free society is impossible without sound money. We are currently a society enslaved by debt.

If you are a new member and want to know why we stack PMs look at this link https://www.thesilverforum.com/topic/56131-videos-of-significance/#comment-381454

A nice refreshing bit of common sense again from Lobos. Talks a lot about copper, but is most bullish on Silver over gold. 
Says he would not want to stack copper as you would need a whole garage full to equal a few ounces of gold. 
Totally right, but if copper spot ever got to $20 then that ratio would equal silver at the moment. ;)
Its possible at some point, but maybe not this decade.

Im looking forward to my Sol Gold stocks coming into fruition, one of the best copper finds on the planet. 
Anglo Ashanti Gold is looking quite cheap at the moment also, they have a lot of copper. Greatland also. 

Edited by Stacktastic

• 3 weeks later...

Wow, 5kg for £292.27 - I recently bought 2.27kg of copper for £31 (spot price of that would be £16.43 if I did my maths right, but the price I paid includes delivery).

Get C101 (99.99% pure) copper round bar from an engineering supply place, mine's 20cm of 4cm diameter rod!

On 19/03/2021 at 13:28, MickB said:

One way of getting copper is the two penny push machines at the amusement arcades. Feed in the new two pence pieces and see how many older 2p coins you can get.;)

Had to post a parcel yesterday so asked for my change in bags of 1ps & 2ps.... just swapped out the ones I wanted with newer coins and will bank them back in the next time I post a parcel. 

Not gonna be enough to fill up the Ferrari but a tad closer to the fluffy dice for the rear view mirror!!

• 3 weeks later...

I tend to stack pipes and cables for a short period of time until I've a car load then get it scrapped. Last year from 2 car trips I ended up with around £140 on one trip and £250 on another that included a lead water pipe. 

Lead gets a good price considering the size of it it is very heavy 

• 4 weeks later...
On 09/06/2021 at 07:28, modofantasma said:

I tend to stack pipes and cables for a short period of time until I've a car load then get it scrapped. Last year from 2 car trips I ended up with around £140 on one trip and £250 on another that included a lead water pipe. 

Lead gets a good price considering the size of it it is very heavy 

Do you know where I can sell scrap tin? No info on this which I am surprised as the price is good.

1 minute ago, Bigmarc said:

Do you know where I can sell scrap tin? No info on this which I am surprised as the price is good.

Not sure but if you search for scrap metal "area" online it should come up with at least some dealers phone numbers you can try calling around.

Some scrap places only work with vat registered businesses but others will work with the public if you've got ID and a bank account to get paid 

Thanks. I am vat registered and have weighed in some copper and aluminium in the past. It's just there never seems to be anything for tin. I'm currently collecting to melt into bars just for fun but starting to wonder what would happen if the price shoots to the moon.