• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

13 minutes ago, danmc82 said:

I really like the bars but the prices are rediculous. 

I bought mine a while back when the price was better but just recently bought the 2 & 5oz bars as these were only introduced last year. I know what you mean about the prices but I wanted to complete my copper pyramid stack.

IMG_20201119_135817.jpg

Edited by MickB

39 minutes ago, danmc82 said:

I really like the bars but the prices are rediculous. 

I bet they said that about silver in the 1980 & 2005 (not to mention Palladium!).
I think the price might easily double in the next year or two.
Over the next decade possibly a lot more, but it could just go back to the std price as its not really regarded as precious. 
However copper is the one item thats really suggesting a commodity super cycle (opposed to the spot on other metals/minerals not moving). 

Considering its used in most electrical items (especially EV's) I am sure the supply and demand will easily make it more expensive over time.
Whether it goes back to its price last year I don't know, but its worth the risk to have a £150 5kg bar sitting about IMO. :)
Imagine having a 5kg bar of silver or platinum, Palladium or Rhodium from when they were worthless? wow. 

copper.png

Edited by Stacktastic

29 minutes ago, MickB said:

I bought mine a while back when the price was better but just recently bought the 2 & 5oz bars as these were only introduced last year. I know what you mean about the prices but I wanted to complete my copper pyramid stack.

IMG_20201119_135817.jpg

Nice you will be laughing even if it goes up 50% from todays price. :)
Selling them on might be hard though?? Bit like Platinum was last year. 

14 minutes ago, Stacktastic said:

I bet they said that about silver in the 1980 & 2005 (not to mention Palladium!).
I think the price might easily double in the next year or two.
Over the next decade possibly a lot more, but it could just go back to the std price as its not really regarded as precious. 
However copper is the one item thats really suggesting a commodity super cycle (opposed to the spot on other metals/minerals not moving). 

Considering its used in most electrical items (especially EV's) I am sure the supply and demand will easily make it more expensive over time.
Whether it goes back to its price last year I don't know, but its worth the risk to have a £150 5kg bar sitting about IMO. :)
Imagine having a 5kg bar of silver or platinum, Palladium or Rhodium from when they were worthless? wow. 

copper.png

I agree, Copper prices are in the rise but Spot wont get to Geiger Copper bar level for a long time. But they are nice to have as a premium product.

I also have high hopes for Aluminium.

The ones I like best are the Sharps Pixley copper 1 kilo bars. I gave one away as a present but still have the others. They haven't had these in stock for a while now which is a shame as I would have picked up a few more. 

IMG_20200825_091220.jpg

IMG_20191109_203937.jpg

34 minutes ago, danmc82 said:

I agree, Copper prices are in the rise but Spot wont get to Geiger Copper bar level for a long time. But they are nice to have as a premium product.

I also have high hopes for Aluminium.

Yea you are probably right. :)
The miners is where it is at longer term.
I have shares in Anglo Ashanti, Sol Gold, Greatland, which have copper exposure.
Only one doing OK now though!!

What do you think about aluminium? after a week of profit taking from Afritin (+45%), I am seriously bullish on base metals. 

28 minutes ago, MickB said:

The ones I like best are the Sharps Pixley copper 1 kilo bars. I gave one away as a present but still have the others. They haven't had these in stock for a while now which is a shame as I would have picked up a few more. 

IMG_20200825_091220.jpg

These are nice. :)

Edited by Stacktastic

50 minutes ago, MickB said:

IMG_20200825_091220.jpg

IMG_20191109_203937.jpg

They do look nice but I prefer the matt finish of the Geiger.

Without looking what did they set you back?

25 minutes ago, Stacktastic said:

What do you think about aluminium? after a week of profit taking from Afritin (+45%), I am seriously bullish on base metals. 

I don't have any shares in base metals but it's one for me to think about.

Aluminium has also seen a rise recently and I expect that to continue, especially as you say, with EC on the way.A

Aluminium is always a premium over plastics when it comes to building car parts. Plenty of new Alloy wheels to make as well 😁. It's also hard to mine compared to other base metals, despite the abundance of it.

12 minutes ago, danmc82 said:

They do look nice but I prefer the matt finish of the Geiger.

Without looking what did they set you back? 

😁

The first one set me back £21, second was £25 and the last was £35. I should have bought more at the lower price but dithered at the time. It'll be interesting to see what they will cost once they have them back in stock. 

40 minutes ago, MickB said:

The first one set me back £21, second was £25 and the last was £35. I should have bought more at the lower price but dithered at the time. It'll be interesting to see what they will cost once they have them back in stock. 

£21 isnt a bad price tbh. Thats nearly the going rate for srap Copper on ebay.

These arnt badly priced for a bar..

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Copper-Ingot-bullion-Bar-1kg/265029976237?hash=item3db50480ad:g:HPwAAOSwHYpgAvx~.

Is £37 + £6p&p an OK price for a 1kg Geiger copper bar? 

I found about 100 old UK bronze pennies and cleaned them up to store the other day and for some reason I want more copper now 🤣

On 17/03/2021 at 09:35, KPW82 said:

Is £37 + £6p&p an OK price for a 1kg Geiger copper bar? 

I found about 100 old UK bronze pennies and cleaned them up to store the other day and for some reason I want more copper now 🤣

I paid £33 a KG but that was a 5oz and not Geiger so I would say thats fair given the spot. 
I know you can get cheap cast copper bars (probably made by some skint plumber) but I do like the official ones. 
Especially if the price doubles or quadruples in the coming years. 

The spot has dropped but is maintaining sideways nicely so it could go up again soon. 
Having said that stimulus in the us has started to be given now, dont know if that will affect things. 

Im hoping people loose interest in commodities and go back to tech, so I can get some bargains!!

Edited by Stacktastic

Thanks @Stacktastic I found one for £35 so might get it. I managed to get 15 1oz copper rounds for 80p each the other day which I thought was OK, I had said before I found 100 bronze pennies but it was actually about 250 so think that will be enough if I get the 1kg bar.

On 09/03/2021 at 10:20, dwreck said:

I save all my pre 1982 pennies over here. I believe 95% copper content and 3.1g each. Not sure if you guys have that kind of option over the pond.

Ours are pre 1992 97% copper 1ps and 2ps 

Edited by TutoredSoup232

1 hour ago, TutoredSoup232 said:

Ours are pre 1992 97% copper 1ps and 2ps 

According to coinflation.com our pre 1982 pennies' melt value are 2.7 cents roughly for each penny. So a 1.7 cent profit if you could legally melt them.

59 minutes ago, MickB said:

One way of getting copper is the two penny push machines at the amusement arcades. Feed in the new two pence pieces and see how many older 2p coins you can get.;)

Thats a good idea! Although I would end up spending it all on those machines where the coins dissapear down a secret side shoot. Flipping cheeky that!!

On 19/03/2021 at 11:54, dwreck said:

According to coinflation.com our pre 1982 pennies' melt value are 2.7 cents roughly for each penny. So a 1.7 cent profit if you could legally melt them.

Not legal unfortunately, then again you could accidentally lose your balance over the fire whilst transporting your jar....

I'm a carpenter so i work on building sites everyday surrounded by plumbers, electricians and roofers. The electricians throw all their cable scraps in the skip, the plumbers leave copper pipe off cuts everywhere and the roofers drop lead off cuts all over the floor. I swoop in like a magpie and pick it all up and save it. I have a whole attic full of free scrap metal. I've always wanted to make ingot out of it all but never really got round to it.

On 19/03/2021 at 14:35, KPW82 said:

Anyone know if there should be much difference in premium between Geiger and Leipziger bars? 

I would be interested in this as I ordered a 5kg Gieger bar looking at Ebay just now!
I received a different brand?

41 minutes ago, Stacktastic said:

I would be interested in this as I ordered a 5kg Gieger bar looking at Ebay just now!
I received a different brand?

I spoke to the supplier and asked if I'd receive a Geiger bar and they said they had Leipziger bars in stock, looks like it's their sister company and they are basically the same thing just made at a different factory.

27 minutes ago, KPW82 said:

I spoke to the supplier and asked if I'd receive a Geiger bar and they said they had Leipziger bars in stock, looks like it's their sister company and they are basically the same thing just made at a different factory.

great, I assumed as much tbh.
Copper is Copper, its not hall marked or numbered or anything. ;)

Probably sa bit like VW & Skoda. 

Edited by Stacktastic

I think stacking copper is no bad thing.  Especially if...

(1) You can pick it up for free / recover it for free

(2) You are on a budget

Stacking metals can be done even if you are on a tight budget.  Its a little like the guys in Youtube who get bags of 50p's from the bank, select out the interesting ones and return the rest.  Good and cheap way into stacking / collecting.

Best

Dicker

Not my circus, not my monkeys