• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Pre lockdown what were silver premiums like?

Arongoldprog

I'm new to the precious metals game having only started buying end of May.

I've read and watched videos were people mention the high premiums on silver due to covid lockdowns etc but if that's the case why aren't gold premiums as high? The cheapest I've seen silver for is 30%-40% over spot and this includes big units like 1kg....and this is on EU sites where there is no VAT.

This all leads me to wonder what was considered reasonable premium on non numi bullion or generic rounds silver before covid?

In the last 3 to 4 years: 

On release- Brits, Maples & ASE’s £14 to £16 per oz and premium coins such as QB’s, Libertads & Elephants £16 to £18.  

Secondary market up to £21 for specific dates a year or two after release- some ‘key’ or desirable coins- for example 2007 Britannia up to £30 each. 

Recent premiums paid due to FOMO? and speculation? that Silver is ‘going to the moon’.  
I do hope so for all here who have been drawn into this extraordinary market and those who hold. 

Personally speaking and off topic from the question asked:  I’m continuing to buy/hold Gold and buying only Silver I like, but not in any kind of quantity. 

Do your own research and invest accordingly. 

This is going to be subjective as the spot prices moves but in my opinion spot ranged around £12.50 a lot and your standard one ounce Britannia would cost £16.50 on here. That's a 24% premium.

Premiums on this stuff have definitely widened since covid. Lots of people asking £24 Oz on things which are not that special.

1 minute ago, silverdocket said:

If you don't mind me asking what would you normally get for £24 that is special? 

Before covid the only thing I paid £24oz was for a pamp 1oz bar. I think I paid too much for it at the time. I wouldn't call it special either.

All my other premium stuff maxed at £23oz but mostly were £21oz. Premium stuff are things like Geiger, Scottsdale, Mk Barz etc.

Archived