• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

closed Other metals - copper, palladium, rhodium, rhenium, osmium, ruthenium etc.

arphethean

I'm wanting to expand my metals collection to include some more exotic things.

Do you have an ingot, bottled sample, powder or even something minted in any of the more unusual metals?

- palladium

- rhodium

- rhenium

- osmium

- iridium

- ruthenium

And of course a nice ounce, density cube or kilo of copper to complete the set.

Do get in touch if you have some or know of a good source.

1 minute ago, HawkHybrid said:

for copper stacking people sometimes stack the older bronze 1p, 2p.

HH

Yes, we do that! I heard that at one point a penny was worth more as copper than face value. Copper bullion seems to be very poor value. 

I have an Element collection & whilst not selling, it thought I would say that there are many variants of metal cubes on eBay. 1 inch copper cube for £20 at the moment. Some are China based & US based but I got a v heavy W Tungsten piece from Germany. I bought some crystalline elements too from a guy who does some eBay & some direct inc lovely Tungsten Crystal rods. Good thing to get into. 
also Onyxmet in Poland have good range of elements & some are on sale at the moment. The rare ones are still pricy though. 

4 hours ago, MikeG1978 said:

Melt your own copper bullion 

I may try it to get me  into melting silver 

That's a great idea. I am interested in this pouring business - could be a fun summer project! I'd maybe find some copper scrap, like cables as you suggest.

2 hours ago, cliveb13 said:

I have an Element collection & whilst not selling, it thought I would say that there are many variants of metal cubes on eBay. 1 inch copper cube for £20 at the moment. Some are China based & US based but I got a v heavy W Tungsten piece from Germany. I bought some crystalline elements too from a guy who does some eBay & some direct inc lovely Tungsten Crystal rods. Good thing to get into. 
also Onyxmet in Poland have good range of elements & some are on sale at the moment. The rare ones are still pricy though. 

Great - thanks for that. I'll check it out.

I can get you 1 toz osmium and ruthenium ingots, and 500 gram rhenium ingots. All are arc-melted.

It was nice to see rhenium on your list. It is a sadly neglected element. In terms of price vs scarcity rhenium is one of the most under valued of metals. In natural scarcity it is down there with iridium and osmium. but unlike Os and Ir, there is a strong industrial demand for Re, mostly for making alloys. The "super alloy" used in the combustion chambers and turbines of jet engines is a nickel-rhenium alloy that retains its strength at red heat. Yet, despite its usefulness and scarcity, Re is orders of magnitude less expensive than any of the platinum group metals. It's sold my the kilo, not the troy ounce, at between about 1/10th and 1/100th the price of the platinum group metals and gold. Rhenium also has interesting isotope chemistry. It is one of the few natural elements whose most abundant isotope is unstable. 187Re, which comprises 63% of natural Re,  decays to 187Os. However, the half life of this decay is so long--40 billion years-- that Re is virtually non-radioactive and can be handled and used without any precaution.

Not sure if you've come across this company.  See link to Rhenium mirror cube (Periodic Table Collection) .  I've also got some ingots from RWMM but the mint quality is not that great.  :         Luciteria, on the other hand make what looks like beautiful gifts/collectibles, especially their mirror cubes, but I've not bought from them.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived