• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Panda expert wanted

Britannia47

This is a 1994 100 yuan 1oz coin, from a 5 coin set. Help needed as to whether this is a small or large date? Although I suspect that its from the Shenyang mint (small) I really can't tell the difference. Large dates were minted in Shanghai, up until 2001 when the date size was standardised. Perhaps I should go to Specsavers!  Thanks for any help/opinions in advance.417793109_IMG_2173Panda.thumb.jpg.6cfe880cda93bd4d32ac5eb94b460271.jpg

They are not that easily distinguishable. 

The small date is only slightly more slender than the large date.

Comparing to NGC examples, it does look like yours is a large date

Small:  

https://www.ngccoin.com/price-guide/chinese-coin-prices-detail.aspx?lang=en-US&ChineseSetID=801&subcat=gold-panda-coin-prices

Large:

https://www.ngccoin.com/price-guide/chinese-coin-prices-detail.aspx?lang=en-US&ChineseSetID=796&subcat=gold-panda-coin-prices

I have posted this before and has a ranking of rare and key dates to watch out for, if you are a Panda collector:

Here’s a good reference list of what to watch out for in terms of rarity on gold bullion panda varieties identified by a well known authority...
Gold Panda 'year priority' list arranged in 2012 by Huang Ruiyong based on his research:
1998 Shenyang Large Date
2000 Shanghai Mirror
1999 Shanghai Small Date
1999 Shenzhen Guobao Serif
1998 Shanghai Small Date 
1995 Shenyang Small Date 
1995 Shanghai Large Date
1989 Shenyang Large Date 
1994 Shenyang Small Date 
1994 Shanghai Large Date
1993 Shanghai Large Date 
1999 Shenyang Large Date 
2002 Shenzhen Guobao 
2000 Shenzhen Guobao 
1991 Shenyang 
1991 Shanghai
1996 Shenyang Large Date 
1996 Shanghai Small Date
1997 Shenyang Large Date 
1997 Shanghai Small Date
2001D 
1987Y 

13 hours ago, Britannia47 said:

3-1 to 'Large' Now I am confused!

Having closely inspected the small, large photos on NGC and compared your coin to them, I have come to the conclusion it is a small date version.

You have to blow up the photos to see any difference at all and they are miniscule; totally unlike other date variations you see in 1oz silver pandas.

I would go so far as to wonder in amazement who the hell discovered these alleged variations, they are in the serious OCD, pedantic, geek territory IMHO. Some people are really sad and need to get out more!🤨

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

Thanks everyone!  especially Happy Panda, trozau and Sovereignsteve. NGC regards the 'small' and 'large' as .."2 major varieties" so it was worth knowing the difference I think. Bought this 1994 set 22 years ago for £420 for all 5 coins! but gold was $325 an oz.then - Sovereigns were going for £45-£50 and 1oz coins for about £220. This set seems to be rare but I had no idea what I was buying at the time. I am actually a sovereign collector and have nothing better to do than look for the multitudinous varieties that exist from the 8 different mints - after all its fun! 

Cheers.

3 hours ago, Britannia47 said:

Thanks everyone!  especially Happy Panda, trozau and Sovereignsteve. NGC regards the 'small' and 'large' as .."2 major varieties" so it was worth knowing the difference I think. Bought this 1994 set 22 years ago for £420 for all 5 coins! but gold was $325 an oz.then - Sovereigns were going for £45-£50 and 1oz coins for about £220. This set seems to be rare but I had no idea what I was buying at the time. I am actually a sovereign collector and have nothing better to do than look for the multitudinous varieties that exist from the 8 different mints - after all its fun! 

Cheers.

Great snag on the 1994! And I hope you also got the current year Panda gold from 22 years ago (1998).

Archived