• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Number of coins minted

Maxford

Hi how much does the number of coins minted impact the valuation? 

for example I’ve received a flyer with a coin to say they are releasing a limited edition 2020 Sovereign and only 499 are being produced but it has a price tag of £799. Obviously that’s expensive for a Sov but due to the limited amount does it warrant the price tag and would it sell well or not cut the mustard? 

many thanks

• Founder & Administrator

Mintage numbers reflect on the value of an item, but are dependant on demand. If demand outstrips supply and continues to do so, then these items should theoretically maintain or increase in price.

My posts are my personal opinions, they do not constitute advice or financial advice.

Please Follow / Like / Share to help spread the word of The Silver Forum:
TSF Instagram - TSF YouTube channel - TSF Facebook pageTSF Twitter page - TSF Threads (used for sever status updates)

Discounts / Offers
COTR Vouchers for Premium Members

Official TSF branded NGC label via COR grading
50% discount off of TSF mugs for Platinum Premium Members. (see info in Platinum Lounge)
Platinum Premium Members: Offers from selected Dealers - 15 dealers currently in the programme

1 minute ago, Maxford said:

69900AC8-168A-409B-8C21-EDB46E689661.jpeg

No it's not worth 799. Despite the limited mintage, there's not the demand for Tristan da Cunha minted coins. I dare say sovereign collectors would not even consider this an actual sovereign as it's not minted by the UK.

Also as an aside, the coin design in my opinion isn't great.

There's no history or pedigree from that mint, which counts for a lot when it comes to collecting coins, indeed when collecting anything. 

1 minute ago, Notafront4adragon said:

Also as an aside, the coin design in my opinion isn't great.

Not the best design from Timothy Noad, agreed... 🤐

Screen Shot 2020-07-01 at 6.12.14 pm.png

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

5 minutes ago, jultorsk said:

Not the best design from Timothy Noad, agreed... 🤐

Screen Shot 2020-07-01 at 6.12.14 pm.png

The small print says " An interpretation of St. George & the Dragon by Timothy Noad " which is very misleading as its not actually Timothy Noads design its just an interpretation 

The price as always depends on demand and availability. If there is little demand the number issued does not really matter too much. It seems to be trying to be something it isn't.

6 minutes ago, CosmikDebris said:

I got the same flyer with the cheap 2020 sov I received from them today, went straight in the bin! 

The flyer or the cheap sov? 

4 minutes ago, Midasfrog said:

The small print says " An interpretation of St. George & the Dragon by Timothy Noad " which is very misleading as its not actually Timothy Noads design its just an interpretation 

Hmm... if that's the case I'd be suing H&B if I were Mr Noad.. very dodgy. 🤔

"To celebrate the legend of St George & the Dragon in 2020 a brand-new Gold £5 Coin has been issued. Struck in 24 Carat Gold to a collector favourite proof finish, the new coin features a wonderful new interpretation of the iconic design by acclaimed heraldic artist Timothy Noad – who has been responsible for some of the most impressive UK coin designs in recent years – and is limited to just 4,999 coins worldwide. A low mintage for such an impressive release."

https://harringtonandbyrne.co.uk/2020-st-george-the-dragon-gold-coin.html

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Imo, if you want buy from a dealer buy the 2018 piedfort from BBP for £10 more 👍 ... but you’d get a better deal here on the forum on real rarities for that money. For example, it would probably buy you most of the special reverses in a high grade other than the 1989 and 2012, in fact you could have bought the 2002 and 2005 Sov ungraded for give or take that money today 🙂

9 minutes ago, jultorsk said:

Hmm... if that's the case I'd be suing H&B if I were Mr Noad.. very dodgy. 🤔

"To celebrate the legend of St George & the Dragon in 2020 a brand-new Gold £5 Coin has been issued. Struck in 24 Carat Gold to a collector favourite proof finish, the new coin features a wonderful new interpretation of the iconic design by acclaimed heraldic artist Timothy Noad – who has been responsible for some of the most impressive UK coin designs in recent years – and is limited to just 4,999 coins worldwide. A low mintage for such an impressive release."

https://harringtonandbyrne.co.uk/2020-st-george-the-dragon-gold-coin.html

That link goes to an advertised price of £39?!

Just now, Maxford said:

That link goes to an advertised price of £39?!

It's a tiny version with the same design. 😁

Diameter: 11mm

Weight: 0.5g

9 minutes ago, SilverMike said:

Imo, if you want buy from a dealer buy the 2018 piedfort from BBP for £10 more 👍 ... but you’d get a better deal here on the forum on real rarities for that money. For example, it would probably buy you most of the special reverses in a high grade other than the 1989 and 2012, in fact you could have bought the 2002 and 2005 Sov ungraded for give or take that money today 🙂

Mike where is there the best deal at the moment?

28 minutes ago, jultorsk said:

It's a tiny version with the same design. 😁

Diameter: 11mm

Weight: 0.5g

To be fair at £39 thats a far better deal than the sovereign weight for £800, though still ~70 premium. 

Archived