• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Expensive learning experience with a coin Auction!

So thought I would just share this with everyone today. I thought I was buying just over spot price from “The Coin Cabinet” an auction site that promoted 0% commission on sales, I looked at the fee to post £15 and insurance at 0.1%. All seemed good. Though I seem to have over looked something.... VAT! 

Give I as under the impression gold was VAT free somehow at an auction they can get away with charging VAT. 

Whilst I acquired a lot of nice gold coins I paid a premium, some of which I could have picked up from a bullion dealer for 20% less!! 

lesson ... reduce price you bid by 20% at an auction that does charge commission to get a realistic price! 

(as above) my dealings with CC, VAT is only payable on the postage/insurance part I believe.  the costs for shipping are literally just covering their costs, nothing is inflated or overpriced.

29 minutes ago, Silverman2U said:

lesson ... reduce price you bid by 20% at an auction that does charge commission to get a realistic price! 

Maybe for the forthcoming CC auctions we should keep this myth alive, and then hoover up the lots 20% cheaper 😂 

41 minutes ago, Paul said:

(as above) my dealings with CC, VAT is only payable on the postage/insurance part I believe.  the costs for shipping are literally just covering their costs, nothing is inflated or overpriced.

@Paul I really hope your right and it was just miss communication. I swear I did not see it in their T&C’s anyways. Almost had a heart attack when she said I have VAT on top! 😕

1 hour ago, Silverman2U said:

@Paul I really hope your right and it was just miss communication. I swear I did not see it in their T&C’s anyways. Almost had a heart attack when she said I have VAT on top! 😕

You must have breathed a big sigh of relief when you read folks responses above. Phew! 😄

It looks like several of you guys beat me to it. NO VAT is charged on auction wins! Apart from a tiny amount on postage perhaps. Also it is 0% buyers premium not 0% sellers premium. 

I hope you didn't miss out and anything too nice like the 1982 proof sovereigns

Lol 😂.

You did the right thing always get a advice first.

Auctions in Dublin on the other hand the seller pays 15% and the buyer pays 15% plus tax

18 hours ago, Silverman2U said:

@Silverman2U  i have check on my paperwork on past CC invoices and i am correct. VAT is only added on your postage & insurance, for UK insured delivery via DHL it was just over £10 added to your bill for an order under £2000 as silver docket shows above, but his delivery & fees are to Ireland so a little higher 

Archived