• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 10,000+ forum members. 

WotNxt

Horizontal vs. Vertical flip coins

I recently bought my first American Silver Eagle and noticed that, unlike any other coin I have ever seen, you have to flip it vertically for the design on the other side to be the right way up after flipping.

In my experience every other coin flips horizontally to get the design on the other side the right way up.

Is this unique to ASEs, all American coins or common and have I just not seen enough coins from around the world to notice?

Posted (edited)

ASE and Libs flip vertical (not sure about the coins from the rest of Americas, don't have other from that region).

European, Canadian, Chinese and Australian/NZ/Oceania bullion coins flip on horizontal axe.

LE: just notice that my Romanian silver coins flip vertical (however this is not bullion, are from the end of 1800s )

Edited by daca

It 's called coin alignment when you have to flip the coin vertically to see the other side 'the same way up' (if that makes sense), and medal alignment when you have to flip the coin over horizontally (i.e. both sides are the same way up).

For UK currency coins as a general rule, most coins were 'coin alignment' before the Queen Victoria Jubilee Head coins of 1887 and were 'medal alignment' after that.

Exceptions include George III half crowns of 1816-1820, so beware of 'coin alignment' fakes of these, they should be 'medal alignment'.

The correct alignment for the right coin is actually a Coinage security feature, but you’ll also find rotational errors in old coins such that they’re not completely aligned correctly.

Last year I found a modern £2 coin in my change where one of the dies had rotated by about 90 degrees giving a rotational error. It was sold on eBay, got about £60 pound, reinvested in PM!

5 hours ago, daca said:

ASE and Libs flip vertical (not sure about the coins from the rest of Americas, don't have other from that region).

European, Canadian, Chinese and Australian/NZ/Oceania bullion coins flip on horizontal axe.

LE: just notice that my Romanian silver coins flip vertical (however this is not bullion, are from the end of 1800s )

This is interest topic, did not know. Just for clarity though if I place my finger above and one below the head of the queen on a maple or Britannia I not that on pushing on the left or right side I see the the reverse of the coin (maple leaf for example in case of maple) I am flipping the coin around a VERTICAL axis am I not? drawing a line between my fingers the line is vertical or a "y" axis? https://www.google.com/search?q=vertical+axis%3F&oq=vertical+axis%3F&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l7.4910j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

So whilst you could say you are flipping a maple horizontally to see the reverse correctly you are doing so around the y axis or VERTICAL axis, and vice versa for the ASE or Lib for the HORIZONTAL axis. 

On 27/06/2020 at 13:59, daca said:

I have a couple of late 1800's 5 lei coins, which indeed flip vertically.

Also, most Dutch coins will flip vertically, the gold 10 guilder coin from late 1800 do, as well as silver coins from 1972/1975