• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

First ever New Zealand bullion coin - Chatham Island Crested Penguin 1oz silver

Jacek

NZ Post and Metal Market Europe are pleased to announce a release of a first ever silver bullion coin with New Zealand denomination.

The 1oz silver bullion coin features an extinct New Zealand animal: Chatham Island Crested Penguin.

In 2019, an international team of researchers extracted mitochondrial DNA from subfossil bones discovered in sand dunes
on the Chatham Islands. This research confirmed that until a few centuries ago a unique crested penguin species, Eudyptes
warhami, existed on the Chatham Islands. Crested penguins of the genus Eudyptes are black and white with yellow crests
and red bills and eyes. Chatham Island crested penguins were among the largest of the crested penguins.

Each coin is struck from 1oz of 99.9% pure silver and issued as New Zealand legal tender.
The mintage of Chatham Island Crested Penguin 1oz silver bullion coin is limited to 25 000 pcs worldwide.

The coin's reverse depicts a pair of Chatham Island Crested Penguins standing on the rock amid the turbulent ocean.
In the background a Maori symbol is visible, representing the rich and fascinating heritage of the New Zealand's native culture.

The coin's obverse features the effigy of Queen Elizabeth II by Ian Rank-Broadley, information about the country of origin,
metal purity and the year of issue.

Chatham Island Penguin obverse.jpg

Chatham Island Penguin reverse.jpg

Chatham Island Crested Penguin 1oz silver BU.pdf

• Founder & Administrator

Thank you for sharing this. Looks like it could be a very nice coin. :) 

My posts are my personal opinions, they do not constitute advice or financial advice.

Please Follow / Like / Share to help spread the word of The Silver Forum:
TSF Instagram - TSF YouTube channel - TSF Facebook pageTSF Twitter page - TSF Threads (used for sever status updates)

Discounts / Offers
COTR Vouchers for Premium Members

Official TSF branded NGC label via COR grading
50% discount off of TSF mugs for Platinum Premium Members. (see info in Platinum Lounge)
Platinum Premium Members: Offers from selected Dealers - 15 dealers currently in the programme

I’m definitely going to order one now, it looks so nice.

Also if you’re ordering from metalmarket.eu , they also have the Australian horse coin. Brings the cost down per coin as shipping is £10.50 

This should be a good one. NZ post do quality stuff and i am sure the bullion will be super looking.

But would really like to see how the actual bullion version is planned to look (combination of polished areas + many frosted zones to bring out the image). I suspect the early available  images for now are simply monochromed version of the 1oz proof images.

1699462141_2020NZchathamIslandPenguin1oz.png.9c70c1c47cc4e7576dec166f4d6307c7.png

3 hours ago, Jacek said:

Here are some live pictures - not perfect, but give you a glimpse of how the actual coin looks 😉

1.jpeg

0.jpeg

Thanks for showing Jasek. Not perfect as you say, but good enough to make out the finishes. Should look very well in hand. I'm in.

So, i think;

Deep frost on Sea, Maori design, and Penguin bodies. High polish on Penguin heads/wings and border. Satin polish on Rocks and Beaks possibly??

There are individual certificates as well yes? Will these be numbered?

3 minutes ago, swAgger said:

Thanks for showing Jasek. Not perfect as you say, but good enough to make out the finishes. Should look very well in hand. I'm in.

So, i think;

Deep frost on Sea, Maori design, and Penguin bodies. High polish on Penguin heads/wings and border. Satin polish on Rocks and Beaks possibly??

There are individual certificates as well yes? Will these be numbered?

Very close :) To be exact:

- Sea and background are medium frost

- Maori design is light frost

- The rock is super light frost

- Penguin bodies comprise of three different textures: heavy frost on white parts, polished on black, light frost on beaks

In general each element nicely stands out and does not blend with others.

Yes, there are individual certificates for each coin and they are numbered.

4 minutes ago, Jacek said:

Very close :) To be exact:

- Sea and background are medium frost

- Maori design is light frost

- The rock is super light frost

- Penguin bodies comprise of three different textures: heavy frost on white parts, polished on black, light frost on beaks

In general each element nicely stands out and does not blend with others.

Yes, there are individual certificates for each coin and they are numbered.

Fantastic job. Thanks so much for the details! Nice touch with the numbered certificates, too.

I found this picture on: https://coins.nzpost.co.nz/2020/chatham-island-crested-penguin-bullion-coin
I must say that it looks absolutely fantastic!! I'm glad I had to wait for my salary before I could buy some extra silver! Otherwise I would have probably bought the Brumby Horse. And I like this one a lot more! 🙂 I bought a roll at Metalmarket! On the German forum I read that this also has to be a series with the title: "Extinct wildlife of New Zealand". No ikdea what the source of that is however... Anyway... I really like it!

600_Bullion_Penguin.png

On 23/06/2020 at 00:46, badar said:

Also if you’re ordering from metalmarket.eu , they also have the Australian horse coin. Brings the cost down per coin as shipping is £10.50 

Can't find any Australian horse at their site right now...

Just put my order in, hopefully the payment has processed correctly - I always get worried about how my online banking processes foreign transactions (the real-time statement doesn't automatically update).

Really looking forward to getting these. Thanks for the heads-up.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived