• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Ping test or Specific gravity test

Robda1986

OK isue with a couple of 1oz bars I've got my suspicions about them just done specific gravity test and their both coming up in the low 10.50s isue I've got with them is their noticeably smaller that other 1oz bars, neither ping like anything else I have both noticeably higher pitch on one the design is off a 1 gram bar and the other is noticeably more toned 

15926823831467217310288369529222.jpg

If you have measured weights correctly and achieved a specific gravity between 10.4-10.6 it looks pretty likely you have silver. If they were plated on a different base metal theyd be well off e.g. copper would be 9, nickel around 8.9 etc 

It can be fooled though, but would be alot of effort on low value items .

Maybe couple specific gravity with a magnet test. That would be two boxes ticked 

How small are they compared to other 1oz bars? Any photos?

18 hours ago, MrUpwardlyMobile said:

Have you done the rare earth magnet slide test? That’s an easy test on a bar.

Yeap made a slide when I first got into silver everything I get gets a magnetic as a matter of course 

Ping test is a joke, I would ditch it. The rate at which the silver is cooled after pouring varys substantially from refiner to refiner that the tones can be all over the place. Do a push pull with a strong rare earth magnet. If your still not satisfied then do a specific gravity. Weight test, push pull test and an ice cube test should be enough to satisfy any doubt but first and foremost buy from a reputable dealer...

"OK issue with a couple of 1oz bars I've got my suspicions about them just done specific gravity test and their both coming up in the low 10.50s issue I've got with them is their noticeably smaller that other 1oz bars, neither ping like anything else I have both noticeably higher pitch on one the design is off a 1 gram bar and the other is noticeably more toned "

More or less toning means absolutely nothing, move on. Off by one gram?   Heavy or light?  How accurate is your scale? Please tell me you paid more than $75 for the scale... When was the last time you calibrated your scale?   There is no standard for 1 ounce bar sizes, especially from different mints. The only thing that matters is weight.

Archived