• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

LegaCy

Hey guys i've been using silver scrap evaluators to buy old silver UK coins pre 1947 and 1920 recently but was looking for some deeper info really.
Say now I wanted to sell these coins in the real world what would I be looking to get per oz lets say for pre 20/ per oz for pre 47. Is pre 47 a lot less desirable for stacking or harder to sell for its silver content for example, any tips for a beginner in these field would be great, thanks guys. oh one last thing if the time would come would 50% silver be harder to barter with perhaps lol?

I recently sold this type of silver for about 3% above spot on here. I thought that was a fair price and know a few people would be interested at that price. Sometimes on eBay you can get quite a bit more above spot, but depends what fees you pay. I prefer sterling type to 0.500.

Through my purchases on ebay I established that most pre-1947 silver sells for 90-120% of melt value. Pre-1920 sells across a much wider range - circulated/low-denomination typically sold for 120-140%, but crowns and rare years hit 250%+.

How does that compare to the scrap merchants you were buying from?

I enjoy stacking junk silver, but I'd say £20/oz for pre-1947 is too high for me. My rule of thumb is up to £1 over spot for it, and I've not had any trouble buying at that price. Pre-1920 I'm willing to pay a little more for due to the higher silver content, but I still wouldn't pay as much as I would for 999 fine.

That's not to say that you won't find buyers at that price, though - if you list it on ebay at the right time, you can fetch a good price for it.

In terms of hypothetically bartering with it, I doubt you'd have any issues, although I don't see needing to as being especially likely. I think the pre-1947 might actually have an advantage over the older stuff in that situation as it's generally in better condition and more recognisable, although you'd obviously have to hand over more of it because of the lower silver content. 

Man i've been trying to get some more on ebay last few days and jesus.... you talk about £1 over spot, most items are being bidded like £5+ over spot lol Pretty sure its cause the whole "crisis" 

12 minutes ago, LegaCy said:

Man i've been trying to get some more on ebay last few days and jesus.... you talk about £1 over spot, most items are being bidded like £5+ over spot lol Pretty sure its cause the whole "crisis" 

To be fair, I haven't bought any since late May, but I found browsing bulk collections at unsocial times gave better deals. Set your upper limit when you've decided to bid and don't bid up again. Rinse and repeat. Sooner or later you'll win something.

12 minutes ago, LegaCy said:

Yea man just having the coins in your hands looking at them takes you back to 1920 imagining REAL money being used to trade, it really is beautiful 

Amen

With the amount of free fiat money been thrown around, that 1920 shilling in your collection might be getting your weekly shopping yet again in a few years. Hundred years later haha... Joke, but you get the idea 

1 minute ago, Silverman1985 said:

Amen

With the amount of free fiat money been thrown around, that 1920 shilling in your collection might be getting your weekly shopping yet again in a few years. Hundred years later haha... Joke, but you get the idea 

+1 dude

2 hours ago, LegaCy said:

There's some for sale on the forum, I think it's actually below spot.

You should upgrade before I buy it and sell it back to you over spot 😉

ey wheres that at bud I've been keeping a close eye on the "buy and sell uk and eu" section aint seen any yet would appreciate a link greatly! I've had some ok deals on ebay I think its just about who else is on looking at the time if you know what I mean

1 minute ago, LegaCy said:

ey wheres that at bud I've been keeping a close eye on the "buy and sell uk and eu" section aint seen any yet would appreciate a link greatly! I've had some ok deals on ebay I think its just about who else is on looking at the time if you know what I mean

That's the benefit if premium membership you get first dibs at all the good deals. You won't be able to see it yet.

1 minute ago, Notafront4adragon said:

That's the benefit if premium membership you get first dibs at all the good deals. You won't be able to see it yet.

ah I got yah dude, hey btw I was considering premium membership was just wondering is it a monthly fee or one time thing?

• Founder & Administrator
5 minutes ago, LegaCy said:

ah I got yah dude, hey btw I was considering premium membership was just wondering is it a monthly fee or one time thing?

Question was recently asked by another member and the answer is in this topic: 

For further assistance relating to Premium Membership please PM me, as I do not wish to go off topic from this topic about UK Junk Silver. Thanks.

My posts are my personal opinions, they do not constitute advice or financial advice.

Please Follow / Like / Share to help spread the word of The Silver Forum:
TSF Instagram - TSF YouTube channel - TSF Facebook pageTSF Twitter page - TSF Threads (used for sever status updates)

Discounts / Offers
COTR Vouchers for Premium Members

Official TSF branded NGC label via COR grading
50% discount off of TSF mugs for Platinum Premium Members. (see info in Platinum Lounge)
Platinum Premium Members: Offers from selected Dealers - 15 dealers currently in the programme

1 minute ago, ChrisSilver said:

Question was recently asked by another member and the answer is in this topic: 

For further assistance relating to Premium Membership please PM me, as I do not wish to go off topic from this topic about UK Junk Silver. Thanks.

sorry about that I had a feeling I shouldnt stray off topic lol

Welcome to the forum @LegaCy your definatley in the right place 😀 cant agree with the guys above more about getting a membership. Before I joined the forum I was paying well over what I needed to as a newbie stacker/collector. Very rarely find better deals for gold and silver anywhere else. Membership pays for its self if u make just one purchase a month. Happy stacking bud. 

Archived