• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Which coin?

Stacktastic

I am considering purchasing one platinum coin, what shall I get? 

I guess Britannias are a sensible option. Whats popular and will hold premiums (like the QB series in silver)??

This would be for the long haul, not to sell in a few years etc. 

I had a look on Ebay and there is clearly a mix up of platinum wedding coins and solid platinum coins, so thats well avoided!! 

Thanks. 

Hi @Stacktastic - great idea to get some Pt! Prices may come and go, but I have held some physical platinum coins since 2015 and its a good feeling to know that you have some PM diversity. 

Best coins? For starters the British and Australian and Austrian 1 oz coins always seem to be slightly better value than US Pt Eagles. I love the classic appeal of the Canadian Maple, which is a design that you can get in gold, silver, platinum and palladium which is cool! My other favourites are the Isle of Man Noble (love the design), any of the Queens Beasts and the Philharmoniker.  Will any of these develop any semi numismatic premium? Probably the QBs are your safest bet there , for the obvious reason that the designs are unique.  

Let us know what you go for ! 

12 hours ago, Lindeman said:

Hi @Stacktastic - great idea to get some Pt! Prices may come and go, but I have held some physical platinum coins since 2015 and its a good feeling to know that you have some PM diversity. 

Best coins? For starters the British and Australian and Austrian 1 oz coins always seem to be slightly better value than US Pt Eagles. I love the classic appeal of the Canadian Maple, which is a design that you can get in gold, silver, platinum and palladium which is cool! My other favourites are the Isle of Man Noble (love the design), any of the Queens Beasts and the Philharmoniker.  Will any of these develop any semi numismatic premium? Probably the QBs are your safest bet there , for the obvious reason that the designs are unique.  

Let us know what you go for ! 

Fabulous, thanks. What about Brittannias? I have kind of made a rule to stick to UK legal tender for the time being as i have not long been doing this. 
Might branch out when I have enough silver. Having said that i have bought 140 oz's in a week (QB series)! Just need some cannon fodder in the form of Brittanias. 

I saw an isle of man boxed proof one on Ebay yesterday. It had disappeared in the evening. It was only on £170 at the time with no bids. I was not going there as I dont know what i am looking at, but my bet is someone made them an offer. I saw they were £1,500 new or something like that!! Brish mint mark up when Platinum hit a high I think? Real value probably around £400-500 I recon? I noticed Platinum is going up today, I hope it was not my post LOL, I cant see it going below £600 personally!!  :)

I would recommend the Perth Mint 2020 Australia $100 Platinum Lunar Year of the Rat. First time the Perth Mint is issuing the lunar year series in platinum and 2020 is the start of the latest lunar series. Limited mintage, excellent collector and numismatic appreciatIon potential.

4 hours ago, trozau said:

I would recommend the Perth Mint 2020 Australia $100 Platinum Lunar Year of the Rat. First time the Perth Mint is issuing the lunar year series in platinum and 2020 is the start of the latest lunar series. Limited mintage, excellent collector and numismatic appreciatIon potential.

Agree, the matte finish is amazing

IMG_20200616_222829.jpg

If you are sticking to UK CG free you won't go wrong with Queen's beasts yes high premium but brought sensibly in Europe you will be on instant profit If buy on the lows.

Don't forget Platinum prices are much more volatile than gold and silver combined with bigger price jumps during the day than either.

I got an unexpected bonus at work with this paycheck so I pulled the trigger on a 1/10 oz Pt Brittannia. Yeah, I know I got totally ripped off on the premium but it was free money and I currently don't have any platinum. Plus it was cheaper than gold. Speaking of which, gold premiums are getting as bad as silver.   

Archived