• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Bad/lucky purchases of the newbies collectors

Fouls

Hi all,
I am new to the forum and to the numismatics. Today i made my first purchase of a half sovereign 2007 Queen Elizabeth II.
It will be great if you share your opinion if i have made a mistake with buying it. The box is sealed apparently and the cost with shipping was £308 which i believe is a bit much. 

So the next thing is i don't know if i shall unbox it or just keep it as it is. After all i do want to enjoy the coin as well.

s-l1600 (1).jpg

s-l1600 (2).jpg

In my opinion you have unfortunately over paid by £100 at least. If you are after coins you can handle, you can get bullion versions for much less. Proofs are high in price, and are often overpriced in retail. 

New Forum Sponsor! See Items for sale here  Also on Instagram: Bargain Numismatics 

8 hours ago, Fouls said:

Hi all,
I am new to the forum and to the numismatics. Today i made my first purchase of a half sovereign 2007 Queen Elizabeth II.
It will be great if you share your opinion if i have made a mistake with buying it. The box is sealed apparently and the cost with shipping was £308 which i believe is a bit much. 

So the next thing is i don't know if i shall unbox it or just keep it as it is. After all i do want to enjoy the coin as well.

Don't you want to check that the coin is in there?

Hi and welcome to the silver forum. 2007 is not the best of years for proof sovereigns and at £308 seems like a high price to pay for a proof half sovereign and i have opened these RM sealed sovereign packs before to find that the coin inside is not in the best of conditions and not fit or grading. I would leave it sealed that way you may get some of the premium back when you sell it

11 hours ago, Fouls said:

Today i made my first purchase of a half sovereign 2007 Queen Elizabeth II.

Can you return it?

If so it might be a good idea to do so.

3 hours ago, Shep said:

Can you return it?

If so it might be a good idea to do so.

I would agree with this comment. Best to return it and then buy standard bullion. As you are new, it's best to buy for gold content and then later aim for numismatics.

4 hours ago, Goldmansacks said:

Would opening or not opening be guided by where it was bought?

Even if you bought direct from the Royal Mint, you should check because the coins regularly come loose and rattle around the box in shipping.

......just thinking out loud that my 1st gold coin was a 1982 gold half sovereign.

If my memory is correct, I paid a princely sum of £25 back then. 

I have to agree with another chaps here. £308 is a high price for a proof half sovereign.

Thank you everyone. I took your advice and returned the coin. There is a lot to read and learn for sure. On its place I got 2 full sovereigns 1968 and 1909, and a half sovereign 1914. All with a little premium over the current price of the gold per gram. 

Is there a "hot" coin at the moment that you would like to get your hands on? Gold or silver...? 

33 minutes ago, Fouls said:

Thank you everyone. I took your advice and returned the coin.

Such a good move. 
Nice pickups as well - I think Gillick sovereigns are just lovely.

33 minutes ago, Fouls said:

Is there a "hot" coin at the moment that you would like to get your hands on?

Ask that 100 people on here and you would get 100 different answers.

My two pence - stay away from numismatics and stick to bullion,  at least until you’re more au fait with the hobby or find something you really like and wouldn’t mind losing money on.

It’s far too easy to jump aboard the hype train and get burnt when dabbling in “Collector” coins.

Archived