• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Today I want to show.....

7 hours ago, LawrenceChard said:

1887 Queen Victoria Jubilee Silver Proof Crown

From one of only 797 proof sets issued:

1887victoriajubileeheaddoubleflorinsilverobversecrop.thumb.jpg.59743d2465a0edad845dca8621ca9ce6.jpg

Some slight hairlines, but no milk spots!

1887victoriajubileeheaddoubleflorinsilverreversecrop.thumb.jpg.3b80f0f82aec158dd59572953daec6a3.jpg

Doug said "Gorgeous tones", and I agree!

A super nice Crown that everyone would love to have.

Regarding the milk spot, it seems not usually observe in old coin (or maybe I'm wrong).  Is it actually covered by toning or patina over time?

10 hours ago, Bruce06 said:

A super nice Crown that everyone would love to have.

Regarding the milk spot, it seems not usually observe in old coin (or maybe I'm wrong).  Is it actually covered by toning or patina over time?

No, the consensus is that hardly anyone can remember seeing milk spots on older silver coins.

Some think it is a recent invention by the Royal Mint. Others think it escaped from a laboratory in Wuhan, China. 🙂

I don't think that toning or patina covers or masks it.

On a serious note, it only seems to have been a problem in the last 10 or 20 years, although I am aware of some 1980 and 1981 British silver proof crowns with a misty blue-ish appearance. 

Chards

On 28/08/2021 at 15:22, LawrenceChard said:

2002 Zambia 3 Kilos Silver 100,000 Kwacha Proof Coin with Gold Plated Queen Mother Cameo

2002zambiaSilverBullionUngraded3Kilogram100000kwachaQueenElizabethTheQueenMotherBankofZambiarevcrop.thumb.jpg.4d6f399fa0f1238bc117c38916272305.jpg

I don't know who minted it.

For what it's worth, several internet sources suggest that Zambian coins from that period were produced by The Royal Mint. If that's correct, it's even stranger that noone noticed typing/engraving error in Elisabeth...

Btw that bag is amazing! :)

That’s not a typo, Elisabeth is Latin for Elizabeth.

Although female monarchs tend not to have the Latin version of their name on currency. @LawrenceChard did a post about this not long ago.

I’m not sure about this as it’s referring to The Queen Mother although she was still Queen when married to George VI.

5 hours ago, Foster88 said:

That’s not a typo, Elisabeth is Latin for Elizabeth.

Although female monarchs tend not to have the Latin version of their name on currency. @LawrenceChard did a post about this not long ago.

I’m not sure about this as it’s referring to The Queen Mother although she was still Queen when married to George VI.

That's a good point, but I am not sure why they would use other than English version of her name if the rest of the inscription is in English and that's also official language in Zambia...?

But to me that's part of the beauty of these African "numismatic" coins, they are sometimes so random and unpredictable...

On 30/08/2021 at 07:45, CollectForFun said:

For what it's worth, several internet sources suggest that Zambian coins from that period were produced by The Royal Mint. If that's correct, it's even stranger that noone noticed typing/engraving error in Elisabeth...

Btw that bag is amazing! :)

Never mind the bag… that portrait of the Queen Mother is enough to give one nightmares.  Yikes!!!

35 minutes ago, westminstrel said:

Never mind the bag… that portrait of the Queen Mother is enough to give one nightmares.  Yikes!!!

34 minutes ago, paulmerton said:

Glad I'm not alone. I didn't want to say anything in case it was treasonable or something :D 

I was half expecting someone to mention "the old bag"...

(that the coin came in). 😎

Chards

2 hours ago, LawrenceChard said:

Another coin from the set:

1887 Queen Victoria Jubilee Gold Proof Five Pound Quintuple Sovereign:

The colour has changed in the upload, even after deleting it and re-uploading, strange!

Colour has remained OK on the reverse.

Doug provided a tweaked version of the obverse:

1887victoriajubileeheadquintuplesovereign5poundsgoldproofobversecolouradjustedcrop.thumb.jpg.918d17aad2243e9e14be906454617911.jpg

Much better! I need to ask him about the difference.

Already got an answer:

Not sure why colour changed - my close down action converts all to sRGB which is standard for web browsers and "should" stop the browser changing colours. It's the same in Firefox so I can only assume the TSF server software converts images before upload and it clearly doesnt like the obverse.

Edited by LawrenceChard

Chards

53 minutes ago, LawrenceChard said:

Everything is for sale...

...At the right price...

Don't tell my wife! 😎

P.S. You didn't name the odd one out.

I was being facetious. I’d never be able to afford this set.

As for the odd one out, the Double Sovereign doesn’t look like a proof coin - the fields don’t seem to be reflective nor the portrait and St. George frosted.

48 minutes ago, richatthecroft said:

@LawrenceChard is the 2 Pound Sovereign purporting to be an Unc. example but it’s really a fake? 

Oooh you may be right. I was suspecting it was not a proof; but it could very well be a total fake too. Certainly looking at it now, something seems off. 

51 minutes ago, richatthecroft said:

@LawrenceChard is the 2 Pound Sovereign purporting to be an Unc. example but it’s really a fake? 

Well done!

It is not proof, so I guess at some stage, the original coin got lost, spent, or stolen, and someone got a "replacement", this is relatiively common. I know of another with a missing sixpence, whcih I hope we will get offered one day.

I have not yet studied the £2, but it may be a genuine circulation issue. It has got some wear.

Chards