• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

1/10 oz Gold Cook Islands coin information

srashid

Hi guys!

Hope all are well.

I was wondering whether anyone knows anything  about the 1/10 oz Gold $10 Cook Islands Sailing Ship Bounty coins.

I can’t seem to find any information about it on the internet other than a couple of sellers selling these being from Germany.

Are these a legitimate release coin???

Thanks in advance for any info you can provide.

5FC97325-BE6A-4A47-9840-498895FD8F6C.jpeg

9480B733-9943-492E-B4C9-AD4929D0EDED.jpeg

I couldn't find it on Numista so had a quick search but didn't find this coin.

The line at the bottom of the coin doesn't look to clever for solid gold, but I am no expert here a newbie really. I am sure a more experienced collector will advise you.

Thanks for your comments davehard24. 

A fellow forum member believes the coin to be 100% genuine and being advertised by reputable German dealers. Apparently they just  quick off the mark with newly released coins which is why there’s not much info out there at moment. There should be soon though :)  

Understand that the Cook Island mint acts like a private mint in many ways.  You can actually petition them and they will mint you a coin of your own design and purity.  As a result, there are lots of dodgy Cook Island gold coins. Most famous are the 1/10 oz coins that are marked  "1/10 oz .24 pure gold" and sell for what a legit 1/10 oz gold would sell for.  It is buyer beware with anything from this tiny little Archipelago.  

Understand that not all their coins are intended to trick unsuspecting buyers.  They also mint legit coins and it looks like you have one.  It all depends on who commissioned it and what their intent was.

If you google "Cook Island gold coin scams" you will get an idea of what coins to avoid.

10 hours ago, Robb said:

Understand that the Cook Island mint acts like a private mint in many ways.  You can actually petition them and they will mint you a coin of your own design and purity.  As a result, there are lots of dodgy Cook Island gold coins. Most famous are the 1/10 oz coins that are marked  "1/10 oz .24 pure gold" and sell for what a legit 1/10 oz gold would sell for.  It is buyer beware with anything from this tiny little Archipelago.  

Understand that not all their coins are intended to trick unsuspecting buyers.  They also mint legit coins and it looks like you have one.  It all depends on who commissioned it and what their intent was.

If you google "Cook Island gold coin scams" you will get an idea of what coins to avoid.

Thanks Robb. Really useful information! Appreciate your input :) 

I have been to the Cook Islands a couple of times in the last few years, and there is no mint on the the main Island (Rarotonga) or any of the other Cook Islands! and no shops that I could find that sold any of the Cook Islands coins that we see for sale at dealers!  

When I last looked at who makes the Cook Islands coins I think they are variously produced by the following - so basically fully outsourced under license.

- Mint of Poland

-  Meyer Mint

- And I think whoever mints the Niue Athenian owl but the name escapes me (Possibly NZ Mint)

Best

Dicker

Not my circus, not my monkeys

2 hours ago, dicker said:

I have been to the Cook Islands a couple of times in the last few years, and there is no mint on the the main Island (Rarotonga) or any of the other Cook Islands! and no shops that I could find that sold any of the Cook Islands coins that we see for sale at dealers!  

When I last looked at who makes the Cook Islands coins I think they are variously produced by the following - so basically fully outsourced under license.

- Mint of Poland

-  Meyer Mint

- And I think whoever mints the Niue Athenian owl but the name escapes me (Possibly NZ Mint)

Best

Dicker

Thanks Dicker. That is useful to know. I wondered who produced these coins as literally no information on website for Cook Islands Mint, only external mint website like you rightfully mentioned! 

• 7 months later...
On 14/06/2020 at 05:12, daca said:

Glad to have found this thread. Firstly your link has provided me with another gap to fill 👍 Secondly, I’m not convinced about these Cook Islands coins now; think I’ll skip them from my 1/10ths collections.

Ah, sure, that one is c**p, but the Bounty one is arguably perfectly fine. You can check it's sold by some of the biggest and most reputable dealers such as JM Bullion.

But of course, if you don't feel entirely comfortable about it, that's okay, there are plenty of others to choose from.

Archived