• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Now what 😐

Robda1986

OK so set a gole in Jan for gold and silver and I've hit my target so now what? Interested to see what people would aim for ie do I keep pileing the silver or add more gold if so what most of my pile is bullion grade silver and gold not too keen on numismatics 🤔 do I aim at sovs or 1/4oz gold? 

I buy to my budget if I have 200 at end of month I buy there and then. If I want a specific coin I save till I achieve that goal. No hard and fast rule, just keep buying... gold silver Platinum.. whatever.. 1g 1oz 1kg whatever fits the budget. I've made some rubbish buys and I've made some stonking buys also. One thing I should have gone easy on is numeristic coins it's a dark art with theses types, i now only buy ones that are personal to me for the show cabinet only every now and then. My strategy has been very hap hazzard.

Well, first of all pat yourself on your back (because no one else knows you're stacking, right) and feel good about the achievement. Seriously well done!

Pause and reflect on your current stack. Take a look around and see what seems to be selling quickly on the forum and what is received with more of a niche audience. Compare this with what items in your current stack brings you most satisfaction. Recall the CGT limits as well as ponder on the potential changes Brexit may bring.

Then decide to focus your stack on sovereigns with a smattering of fractional gold Britannias with as low as possible premiums. ;)

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

I have been stacking for a few years.

If I could turn back the clock, then I would definitely stack less silver and more gold - in particular gold sovereigns.

Silver is great but they are bulky in comparison to gold. It needs much more storage space and not as easy to transport....... my two cents ! 

Congrats, it took me 6 years to reach my goal. If not already, I would suggest having an emergency cash fund of 6 months living expenses and then concentrate on diversifying into other assets. I have done the first and now looking to second along with overpaying the mortgage. I wish I had tackled this 20 years ago but better late than never. 

“Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.” Oscillate Wildly

5 hours ago, Robda1986 said:

Not too keen on pt the premiums are nearly as bad as silver but I'm thinking 1/4 oz gold and sovs wouldn't be a bad shout and just grab them as and when I see a deal 

That's exactly what I do. Grab fractional gold when premiums are good and cash is available 👍 

It can get super tempting to pick up some not-so-hot deals though, so I suggest you set a premium cap and stick with it. Personally I won't go over 2% premium, and much prefer lower than that. 

Your goals should be fluid to allow for changes in circumstances. I would just adjust them to your current situation. 

Re the silver v gold issue. I started off with silver and gradually moved into gold. Gold is easier to store and is a beautiful metal to hold. Having a 100g bar of gold and a 100g bar of silver in hand at the same time as a real ‘oh, I see’ moment for me.

I adjusted my own goals last month. I hit my target due to some good financial fortune that I had not expected. I have decided to buy a few silver bars because I missed having it to hand! I’m going to buy a few kilos of silver bars in varying weight but maintain the concentration on good bullion gold whenever the chance arises.

Good luck with the continued goal hitting!

Andrew.

Archived