• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Will silver hit previous all time highs by years end?

Midnight

I expect gold to hit an all time high against all world currencies by year end.

But sad to say, I don't have such high hopes for silver. 

The gold silver ratio on paper is currently at 99:1. Though the ratio for physical is more like around 75:1 due to high premium of silver.

Some believe that the price of silver is heavily manipulated by bullion banks.

So who knows, silver could break out when manipulation is stopped.

Silver takes time to catch up and was 2 years behind gold in 2011 when gold was at all time highs in 2009. And silver is far more volatile and as @Happypanda88 said its very heavily manipulated.

Central bankers are politicians disguised as economists or bankers. They’re either incompetent or liars. So, either way, you’re never going to get a valid answer.” - Peter Schiff

Sound money is not a guarantee of a free society, but a free society is impossible without sound money. We are currently a society enslaved by debt.

If you are a new member and want to know why we stack PMs look at this link https://www.thesilverforum.com/topic/56131-videos-of-significance/#comment-381454

I'll take a stab:

For silver to reach its ATH this year (what?  In six months?) it would have to go just about vertical.  Not gonna happen so let's toss that idea away.

Next, lets take a look at the ten year chart.  Not pretty.  The trend is your friend and the trend is down.  Like falling off a cliff down and even more so when taking inflation into consideration.  

Don't forget that there are thousands of tons (literally) of silver laying all over the place, you can't even mine lead or zinc anymore without stubbing your toe in a cache of it.

Everybody pretty much agrees that "they" manipulate the price.  I have no idea who they are but they are out there.  Watching. Manipulating.  So now you have to toss the technical and fundamental analysis out the window and are at the mercy of "them"...not good.

Oh, don't forget Deep Mind and Big Blue and other cyborg A.I. brains much smarter than you and I are also in the mix.  Maybe that is who "they" are?  Maybe!

Frankly, I don't even know why they call it a "precious" metal anymore.  When any Joe Lunchbox can now buy enough of the shiny so that he needs a wheelbarrow to move it, is that really a "precious" metal?  

Bottom line:  Don't expect an ATH in the next six months, or six years.   Maybe in another decade or two??

6 hours ago, Robb said:

I'll take a stab:

For silver to reach its ATH this year (what?  In six months?) it would have to go just about vertical.  Not gonna happen so let's toss that idea away.

Next, lets take a look at the ten year chart.  Not pretty.  The trend is your friend and the trend is down.  Like falling off a cliff down and even more so when taking inflation into consideration.  

Don't forget that there are thousands of tons (literally) of silver laying all over the place, you can't even mine lead or zinc anymore without stubbing your toe in a cache of it.

Everybody pretty much agrees that "they" manipulate the price.  I have no idea who they are but they are out there.  Watching. Manipulating.  So now you have to toss the technical and fundamental analysis out the window and are at the mercy of "them"...not good.

Oh, don't forget Deep Mind and Big Blue and other cyborg A.I. brains much smarter than you and I are also in the mix.  Maybe that is who "they" are?  Maybe!

Frankly, I don't even know why they call it a "precious" metal anymore.  When any Joe Lunchbox can now buy enough of the shiny so that he needs a wheelbarrow to move it, is that really a "precious" metal?  

Bottom line:  Don't expect an ATH in the next six months, or six years.   Maybe in another decade or two??

Depends on how you define a precious metal.  Spend £100k on silver and £100k on copper and you need a wheelbarrow for one and a articulated lorry for the other.  At what price point per ounce do you consider a PM precious?  

"Will silver hit previous all time highs by years end?"

As valued in what? Federal reserve notes which have no value? The whole point of owning precious metals is to diverge from a failing monetary system. So to value PM's in worthless dollars defeats the intrinsic value within them.

23 minutes ago, STONE said:

So to value PM's in worthless dollars 

Send all your "worthless" United States paper fiat trash my way.  Thanks!

j/k

I get your drift, but if you don't "value" PMs to fiat, what can you value them against?  A new Ford F-150?  A median priced home in Connecticut?  A gallon of milk?  You need "something" to value PMs against.  Historically, PMs fall well behind inflation so in a way, measuring them against fiat and those worthless dollars gives them even a higher value than they actually have (in purchasing power).

On this day ten years ago (June 18, 2010) silver was $18.77 an ounce.   Today, a decade later, silver is $17.36/oz  Those are spot prices and of course it is difficult to buy at spot but silver hasn't even kept up with inflation over the last decade and has in fact gone down in value.  For example:

Median home price a decade ago (2010) would require you to drag 22 monster boxes and 12 rolls of generic rounds to the closing.

A decade later (today) you would have to drag about 37 monster boxes to the closing to buy the same exact home in the same exact neighborhood.  The "value" of your stack has fallen not only compared to worthless dollars but also basics such as a shelter (and most everything else).

That troy oz of silver that was bought at spot a decade ago for $18.77 ?   Spot today would have to be $23/ troy oz just to break even.

PMs have an extremely hard time keeping up with inflation which is surprising to many of us that stack.  Mostly because we are like sheep and believe the old "a sliver dime in 1964 bought" and "a 20 dollar gold piece in 1900 bought" stories and never actually crunch numbers.  BTW, pretty much ANYTHING from 1900 or 1964 brings lots of $$ today, not just dimes and double eagles.  

I think more and more people are realizing this and that is why there seems to be a small but growing movement out of silver and into gold, which also has its issues but more people/institutions/countries believe the story so therefore it has more "value".

The only things that will sell in this market is low mintage coins because they should keep their value because of the price they were bought at, and sold.

just looking at the black beard series there was a 10 euro mark up(second coin in series) on the first issue.

on the other side of the debate is that are we going up in price or down, that’s the big question?

It depends on the method used to buy. The premiums on physical are very high for smaller quantities especially. There is nothing to specifically to move the spot price up or down in comparison to gold for example.

Archived