• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Invest in gold or invest in a buy to let property which is the best option ?

• Government urged to suspend rents during the Covid-19 pandemic

https://www.landlordtoday.co.uk/breaking-news/2020/4/renters-unions-call-on-government-to-suspend-rents-during-the-covid-19-pandemic?source=related_articles

Renters’ unions are calling on the government to suspend rents for the duration of the coronavirus crisis after new research found that many people are having to choose between paying landlords and putting food on the table. 

-

: “All rent payments need to be suspended and rent arrears need to be waived urgently to keep renters safe from eviction and from debt, and to prevent the further spread of the virus.”

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, taffybogal said:
  • Government urged to suspend rents during the Covid-19 pandemic

https://www.landlordtoday.co.uk/breaking-news/2020/4/renters-unions-call-on-government-to-suspend-rents-during-the-covid-19-pandemic?source=related_articles

Renters’ unions are calling on the government to suspend rents for the duration of the coronavirus crisis after new research found that many people are having to choose between paying landlords and putting food on the table. 

-

: “All rent payments need to be suspended and rent arrears need to be waived urgently to keep renters safe from eviction and from debt, and to prevent the further spread of the virus.”

Got any newer articles on this since 14th April 2020??

It’s a bit old.

BTL is definitely not dead, in fact more aggressive than ever now that interest rates are about to go negative and making owning property even cheaper.

Is Rocky2000 back??? 

Decus et tutamen (an ornament and a safeguard)

YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5OjxoCIsDbMgx7MM_l4CmA

16 hours ago, taffybogal said:

It works until it doesn’t, exactly 

it’s big risk as we head into a new Great Depression 

we could be looking at a huge correction in property and mass defaults in rents

I doubt very much that we are heading for any kind of depression . There will be a Boom as we grow the economy out of debt . Do not underestimate how clever our young working population is at adapting and turning a negative few months  into a positive future .

1 hour ago, Midasfrog said:

I doubt very much that we are heading for any kind of depression . There will be a Boom as we grow the economy out of debt . Do not underestimate how clever our young working population is at adapting and turning a negative few months  into a positive future .

That’s overly optimistic isn’t it?

I hope you could be right but the facts don’t show it

london alone has another 200k losing their jobs this week alone

we are in a depression already and will be Great Depression soon

20 hours ago, coinz123 said:

isa's are pretty good, there tax free up to £20k per year and you have instant access.

For the moment...until our Over Lords decide otherwise. If they have the power to "decide" something is tax exempt or tax free, then by definition they have the power to "decide" something is not tax exempt or tax free and reverse it.

I don't see house prices falling much in nominal terms until borrowing becomes more expensive, both in respect to supporting house prices and for the consumer to keep borrowing to live. It will be not really be a crash in nominal terms, maybe 15% down? The crash will take place in real terms due to inflation + higher interest rates. Inflation needs to come first though, the canaries are showing the start of it, it will show in materials first, then energy, then the consumer will feel it. After that house prices will not do so well. 

For example, the FED needs to get on this and keep yields low for as long as possible, more QE will be needed and for sure is coming;

https://tradingeconomics.com/united-states/government-bond-yield

The difference today to yesterdays QE is the government will be the ones spending it, indirectly into materials and energy for massive infrastructure projects, like for example in the UK, windfarms to power the entire country, 200 billion into infrastructure spending, that kind of thing. Inflationary. Multiply that across all western nations who will be competing with developing eastern nations (India, China, etc). Eventually the FED will have to let rates rise to follow the inflation that will result, they said that is the plan many times. The BoE has most of its pension funds, I think it was 90% of it in index linked investments, that should tell you what is coming more than anything they say. That is not good for the consumer and cheap borrowing (housing). 

• Founder & Administrator

@taffybogal please can you write in the standard font size. If copying and pasting quotes from elsewhere on the internet there is a button at the bottom to remove the formatting, you may also put the quote in a quote box using the quote button.

This is to keep the viewing experience standardised and pleasant for all. 

My posts are my personal opinions, they do not constitute advice or financial advice.

Please Follow / Like / Share to help spread the word of The Silver Forum:
TSF Instagram - TSF YouTube channel - TSF Facebook pageTSF Twitter page - TSF Threads (used for sever status updates)

Discounts / Offers
COTR Vouchers for Premium Members

Official TSF branded NGC label via COR grading
50% discount off of TSF mugs for Platinum Premium Members. (see info in Platinum Lounge)
Platinum Premium Members: Offers from selected Dealers - 15 dealers currently in the programme

I'm a big fan of BTL and have had some rentals for years. When I bought my first flat, half the people you asked said the market was about to crash. Just like now. And just like now, if the market crashes that'll be a great opportunity to buy more.

Gold/Silver is increasingly important to me for as my financial foundation and for potential appreciation, but well managed rentals provide good income as well. Not to mention appreciation of price and the rental income itself.

If precious metals paid you (net) 5%/year which one of us wouldn't buy all we could all day everyday?

If the global financial collapse continues then BTL will be a terrible investment 

Before the last Great Depression there are four identifiable stages 

first there is a recession Which are common and happen every decade or so

then a Great Recession which are less common the last one was 2008

then a depression which is even more rare, then if unemployment keeps rising another

Great Depression which there has only been one in the last few hundred years.

i guess the question is, will unemployment keep rising as it is doing over the next few years, if it does then we will be in the greatest depression in a few years.

i personally can’t see anything to slow down the unemployment that is rising as it is doing.

I see two scenarios where tenant can’t or won’t pay in a crisis/SHTF scenario:

1) Tenant doesn’t pay rent. Gets CCJ’d. Can’t rent privately again. Waits for council house. Govt has a problem. Govt pays back-rent to private landlord and future rental payments too. Tenant keeps roof over head.

OR

Tenant doesn’t pay rent. Gets CCJ’d. Can’t rent privately again. Waits for council house. Govt has a problem. Landlord gets no help from Govt. Landlord begins eviction process ASAP. Govt has a bigger problem now. It needs lots of houses from somewhere in a short period of time. Note current home building shortage. Tenants have a bigger problem too. Post eviction they have nowhere to live and no private landlords to turn to post credit check. Landlord can’t sell property so keeps it (possibly freeze on mortgage payments). Housing shortage continues. No houses being sold. Property prices go up.

Which party will be in Govt? Torys still have quite some time left! Plenty of Tory voting Landlords and MPs for that matter, never mind House of Lords. So will they choose Option 1, which is a win win for Tenant, Landlord and Govt. or Option 2, Tenant loses (eventually), Landlord loses out on income (for a while), Govt has a housing crisis worse than today’s.

Just look at the “fleacehold scandal” the Govt will continue to keep on side of the landlords. Also look at the “cladding scandal”, nothing happened there either. If Corbyn was PM I might be more worried.

46 minutes ago, MancunianStacker said:

I see two scenarios where tenant can’t or won’t pay in a crisis/SHTF scenario:

1) Tenant doesn’t pay rent. Gets CCJ’d. Can’t rent privately again. Waits for council house. Govt has a problem. Govt pays back-rent to private landlord and future rental payments too. Tenant keeps roof over head.

OR

Tenant doesn’t pay rent. Gets CCJ’d. Can’t rent privately again. Waits for council house. Govt has a problem. Landlord gets no help from Govt. Landlord begins eviction process ASAP. Govt has a bigger problem now. It needs lots of houses from somewhere in a short period of time. Note current home building shortage. Tenants have a bigger problem too. Post eviction they have nowhere to live and no private landlords to turn to post credit check. Landlord can’t sell property so keeps it (possibly freeze on mortgage payments). Housing shortage continues. No houses being sold. Property prices go up.

Which party will be in Govt? Torys still have quite some time left! Plenty of Tory voting Landlords and MPs for that matter, never mind House of Lords. So will they choose Option 1, which is a win win for Tenant, Landlord and Govt. or Option 2, Tenant loses (eventually), Landlord loses out on income (for a while), Govt has a housing crisis worse than today’s.

Just look at the “fleacehold scandal” the Govt will continue to keep on side of the landlords. Also look at the “cladding scandal”, nothing happened there either. If Corbyn was PM I might be more worried.

Yes government has a big problem 

all these people losing jobs and needing somewhere to live, less funds available in government kitty

its an almighty problem and not looking good at all

London has fallen

1 minute ago, Midasfrog said:

In case any Landlords are reading this thread there is always help out there when you need it 👍

images (1).jpg

I knew of someone volunteering for the Samaritans but everyone he spoke to committed suicide 

the real shocking thing was one of them was a wrong number

he only phoned up to find out the cricket scores

some think things could turn around and businesses open back up, people all go back to their old jobs. I personally can’t see it. We are at the start of the second wave, next spring summer there will be a light reprieve then the third wave will hit next autumn/winter.

Spanish flu the third wave was the worst.

In reality if the economy carries on in this direction at this speed with this many businesses going under and this many become unemployed every month, then there will be the greatest depression ever in less than 4 years.

The question is will the economy keep crashing at this speed or will the decline speed up?

The central planners are trying every trick in the book but we are now past the point of no return, they can create as many numbers into their bank accounts as they can, creating fiat currency out of thin air and adding it to the rapidly expanding currency supply will only speed up the decline.

Viruses don’t work in Waves. That’s just MSN B.S. Covid-19 has swept through already. These “waves” are just increased cases and mostly false positives from the PCR tests which also go positive for other corona viruses found in common colds. That’s why healthy people shouldn’t be tested. They are getting tested because they are told to before they are allowed to go back to work or school. This is to extend this “pandemic”. It’s cold and flu season now so of course cases will increase Due to the flawed testing and therefore positives will increase. Deaths will increase due to the false positives and elderly dying with another virus picked up on a PCR test. 

Don't take my word for it, this chap worked with Sir Patrick Vallance for over 10 years and Vallance should know the score too (but he probably has his own interests at heart). 

Dr Mike Yeadon has a degree in biochemistry and toxicology, a research-based PhD in respiratory pharmacology, has spent over 30 years leading new medicines research in the pharmaceuticals industry, and founded his own biotech company which he sold to the world’s biggest drug company Novartis in 2017.

https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/dr-mike-yeadon/id1449753062?i=1000495618783

He is not on Sage because he is retired, has his own money and has no reason to lie for the Govt.

Unemployment pre Covid-19 was low in the UK. All was going rather well. It’s not like there was mass unemployment prior to January. Retail was already on “life-support”. Pubs can get around the Tier 3 rules with cheap “substantial meals” delivered to the pub if they want.

On repossessions and house prices, an agent or auction house must obtain the best prices for its client (the bank). Banks also don’t repossess immediately. It costs them money to do it. Cash is getting zero interest remember, investors are looking for returns now because interest rates are likely to go negative, following the world’s C.Bs. Rental returns will be good in the future. Short term 🤷‍♂️ 

4 minutes ago, taffybogal said:

Virus do happen in waves

this is exactly what is happening now

we are in the second wave and the third wave is expected this time next year

Listen to the podcast my friend. It is not David Icke saying viruses don’t happen in waves! He’s a PHD and owned a biotech company.

The virus will end when Sage says it has. FFS, there weren’t any epidemiologists on Sage for the first 3 months. They probably struggled to buy someone off. It was all mathematicians running bad models.

MSM brainwashing at its finest.

Archived