• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Do I need photo ID when buying selling gold/silver in UK

DanTer

HI

Im new to this , I seen information's on few websites that when buying /selling gold to/from them I need to bring in my photo ID.

Is this the legal requirement in UK or only some stores require that?

What is the reason for this ?

Thanks

It normally depends on how much you are buying. Normally if you are buying over 10ks worth, then expect to - many dealers dont require ID below this limit. It mainly is for CGT puposes.

Central bankers are politicians disguised as economists or bankers. They’re either incompetent or liars. So, either way, you’re never going to get a valid answer.” - Peter Schiff

Sound money is not a guarantee of a free society, but a free society is impossible without sound money. We are currently a society enslaved by debt.

If you are a new member and want to know why we stack PMs look at this link https://www.thesilverforum.com/topic/56131-videos-of-significance/#comment-381454

On 06/06/2020 at 23:31, HerefordBullyun said:

It normally depends on how much you are buying. Normally if you are buying over 10ks worth, then expect to - many dealers dont require ID below this limit. It mainly is for CGT puposes.

4 minutes ago, DanTer said:

So If I will be buying something like 1 oz gold Britannia every couple of weeks - then they should not ask ?

Correct! But if they notice a trend they may ask! And also I would shop around, like here on TSF. You cant go wrong buying on here! all of my buying experiences have been good here. There are plenty of competative dealers. And you can use this link to compare where you can buy gold from the cheapest dealer depending on the coin you want to buy. 

http://goldprice.eu5.net/

Central bankers are politicians disguised as economists or bankers. They’re either incompetent or liars. So, either way, you’re never going to get a valid answer.” - Peter Schiff

Sound money is not a guarantee of a free society, but a free society is impossible without sound money. We are currently a society enslaved by debt.

If you are a new member and want to know why we stack PMs look at this link https://www.thesilverforum.com/topic/56131-videos-of-significance/#comment-381454

1 minute ago, DanTer said:

Fantastic site - thank you !

Dont thank me! thank @Darr3nG he was the one who cleverly set it up!

Also some gold not all is capital gains tax free and some silver ie Britannia's ;)

• 4 weeks later...
On 07/06/2020 at 12:13, Martlet said:

There is legal requirement to ask for ID for over 5k in a purchase or 10k a year, under anti-money lauding law.  Most dealers will rather simply ask all customers by default to cover themselves.

+1 to this, I hadn't expected to be ID'd on a recent purchase of 5 sovs but was asked to provide 2 forms of ID. Do dealers have a KYC requirement the same as brokers?

14 hours ago, Geedubs said:

+1 to this, I hadn't expected to be ID'd on a recent purchase of 5 sovs but was asked to provide 2 forms of ID. Do dealers have a KYC requirement the same as brokers?

No but most dealers now by default try to cover their behind for purchases over £1k. HMRC has been cracking down a fair bit lately on bullion shops that accept cash transactions. 

New Forum Sponsor! See Items for sale here  Also on Instagram: Bargain Numismatics 

3 hours ago, ilovesilverireallydo said:

No but most dealers now by default try to cover their behind for purchases over £1k. HMRC has been cracking down a fair bit lately on bullion shops that accept cash transactions. 

I've wondered for a while now what will happen when HMRC discover the trading section on this forum. Some people do sell rather a lot of stuff in a year and much of it in cash. Maybe they already have and are monitoring us closely😉

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

20 minutes ago, sovereignsteve said:

I've wondered for a while now what will happen when HMRC discover the trading section on this forum. Some people do sell rather a lot of stuff in a year and much of it in cash. Maybe they already have and are monitoring us closely😉

That’s one of the reasons I do everything through the company unless sovs from personal collection 

New Forum Sponsor! See Items for sale here  Also on Instagram: Bargain Numismatics 

• Founder & Administrator
5 hours ago, sovereignsteve said:

I don’t think that most transactions on the forum between members are in cash, I have rarely seen any listings asking to meet in person for cash. I think mostly people sell online and payment is via PayPal or Bank Transfer.

It is a member’s responsibility to file any applicable tax returns correctly and accurately.

My posts are my personal opinions, they do not constitute advice or financial advice.

Please Follow / Like / Share to help spread the word of The Silver Forum:
TSF Instagram - TSF YouTube channel - TSF Facebook pageTSF Twitter page - TSF Threads (used for sever status updates)

Discounts / Offers
COTR Vouchers for Premium Members

Official TSF branded NGC label via COR grading
50% discount off of TSF mugs for Platinum Premium Members. (see info in Platinum Lounge)
Platinum Premium Members: Offers from selected Dealers - 15 dealers currently in the programme

12 minutes ago, ChrisSilver said:

I don’t think that most transactions on the forum between members are in cash, I have rarely seen any listings asking to meet in person for cash. I think mostly people sell online and payment is via PayPal or Bank Transfer.

It is a member’s responsibility to file any applicable tax returns correctly and accurately.

By cash I meant paypal F&F in the main. As good as cash but more trackable I guess.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

Archived