• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Strange Tone Pattern

KennyJones

There's a Strangely toned PCGS MS-67 Silver Eagle for sell at Great collections. The obverse looks naturally tone but the reverse has a very strange pattern and I'd like opinions on what could have made it happen that way.

1590920237118.jpg

1590920247238.jpg

I know it looks blindingly obvious that the toning is artificial in some way. That's why I feel as though I'm missing something because it would or should have been the case for PCGS but it was deemed authentic and given a grade instead.

You do see some pattern toning on Morgans if a coin has been against the canvas sack material when stored. Some coins were stored in sacks for 70 years or so. It is thought some kind of chemical in the canvas caused such toning.

I have read that coins with a criss-cross pattern are found but it's difficult to see how such a large grid-like pattern as the one seen here could be produced.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

Could it be the coin was graded with even tone and then continued to tone in the slab, revealing an artificial method of toning?

I then went to the pcgs website and entered the 8 digit certification number, so I could check the origin photographs against the current ones, only to find the number being rejected. It could be the server isn't working, but I'd be interested to see if anyone else can access the pcgs database for this coin.

I looked up a few PCGS slabs and they were all on the database, so that's working. The only one that didn't register was this. I'm calling fake slab. Which brings into doubt the whole sale of this coin.

edit. looks like it's been pulled from the sale. https://www.greatcollections.com/Coin/827378/2000-1-Silver-Eagle-PCGS-MS-67-Toned

I'm amazed they don't check the numbers on the databases before listing them or even accepting them on consignment

23 hours ago, sovereignsteve said:

You do see some pattern toning on Morgans if a coin has been against the canvas sack material when stored. Some coins were stored in sacks for 70 years or so. It is thought some kind of chemical in the canvas caused such toning.

I have read that coins with a criss-cross pattern are found but it's difficult to see how such a large grid-like pattern as the one seen here could be produced.

Agreed.  Not sure if you have seen this but is an excellent read on Morgan toning.  https://www.monstertonedmorgans.com/all-about-toned-morgans

Not my circus, not my monkeys

Strange indeed...not seen anything like this before, but have seen some fairly obvious “corona / ring” artificial toning on ASE’s (Ungraded). 

Best

Dicker

Not my circus, not my monkeys

Archived