• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Any US members buy direct from the Royal Mint ?

Grinder

The Royal Mint has a few gold coins I am interested in acquiring and they are in stock. Any US members have an account and buy direct ? I am thinking of buying direct if possible. The good, the bad, the ugly :) Thank you

I do have an account, and buy from them semi-regularly.  It is quite difficult to buy from Royal Mint Bullion relative to other dealers, and are prices are higher, but the quality of coins is always superb. 

Their website has changed over the past few months, and there have been some improvements. For example, at least for foreign buyers, in the past we could only buy a single coin at a time, and it needed to ship individually!!  This of course made it unrealistic to buy many coins given the £17 it would cost to ship even a single silver coin. 

I use them to buy a few of the Queen’s Beasts each time they are released, and buy the remainder of my bullion from US dealers. 

Here are the good and bad in my opinion:

Good:

1. Very high quality. This makes sense as there is less shipping involved. The coins don’t need to rattle around in tubes on their way to a US dealer.  

2. Each coin comes in a nice quality capsule. These capsules are usually then individually encased in cardboard. This protects them well. 

3. Fast shipping. When I order, the coins go out either the same or next business day via tracked DHL. I have them in hand within 2 to 3 days.

Bad:

1. Account setup is painful. They required a huge amount of personal info including a passport and utility bill to prove your address (although I set up my account 3 years ago and this may have changed). 

2. You must fund your account in advance. All US dealers allow you to make a purchase, lock in price, and then send payment. Royal Mint Bullion requires you to maintain an account with cleared funds prior to purchase. The fluctuation in $/£ and metals prices makes this very complicated. You need to over fund any anticipated purchase to avoid delays, and to avoid sending multiple transfers which adds to the cost. 

Hopefully this was helpful, and given the pros and cons, I still use them 😊 

Hello. I do purchase from the Royal Mint for a long time now as well. I have had problems. Last year i purchased 2019 matte sovereign i had to have the coin replaced 7 times to the crappy quality on the coins i recieved. My new issue is i purchased the 2020 matte sovereign in May and have recieved tracking on May 15th and the tracking has not moved from Origin post preparing to ship. There must be a delay but have emailed the Mint twice and have not received a response yet as of  June 2nd. 

Archived