• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Little help with auctioned gold Mexican 50 pesos Centenario coin

jiry

Hi, I am beginner with coins especialy with the older ones, which do not have any counterfeiting features. Last week i was looking around one my nation language auction web and saw for sale Mexican 50 pesos Centenario coin with these two photos. So i am asking if any good soul with experience eye can tell me if this looks legit. :) The price looks good with around 3% premium over actual gold spot price. I am asking for help because this coin is one of my stacking goal. :)

Thanks in advance for any opinion i will get.

253f1554-ab68-4d5a-9249-d1e07c6d74ab

and

1c512333-014a-4b0d-8428-9b397f7ef0c7

@jiry I did own a single Gold Mexican 50 pesos Centenario coin purchased from Chards and all the specifications matched I did not bother to investigate any further authenticity (plus purchased from a highly reputable dealer Chards) and when coin was sold the buyer already had collection of 50 peso coin and verified for himself. It looks legit but I am no expert (even after owning one of these coins). Look at the specification and make sure everything matches up is your first initial verification step.

https://www.chards.co.uk/mexico-gold-50-pesos-bullion-coin/3557

image.png.0504af052f8f1d85b8b6c464ceffc606.png

That was one of my "to have" list as well and now that i have it i can only say its just beautifull...

It looks legit , mine is year 1947 on the right and those are the most ones in circulation cause they kept making them till 1972...and all of them get 47 stamped.

Yours a 45 is made in 45 .The first ones came in 1921 , and so on .

Only thing i have stamped "independencia y libertad" on the side of the thickness of the coin.

I dont know if that goes for all of the years but that would be logic to me

Mine is also '1821 to 1947' which is the most common date. Its great to have that extra bit of gold in a coin 1.2 oz!  This  is slightly more than a  5 Sovereign coin (1.17oz)

Also of interest is the the 'Eagle and Snake' which features on the Mexican flag. .900 Gold  (21.6 carat)  was also used in the U.S.A. for its gold coinage such as 'Double Eagles'

and' Indian' coins over a hundred years ago. Your coin looks OK and 1945 might be rare - who knows? 

Good-luck

On 30/05/2020 at 21:50, Britannia47 said:

Mine is also '1821 to 1947' which is the most common date. Its great to have that extra bit of gold in a coin 1.2 oz!  This  is slightly more than a  5 Sovereign coin (1.17oz)

Also of interest is the the 'Eagle and Snake' which features on the Mexican flag. .900 Gold  (21.6 carat)  was also used in the U.S.A. for its gold coinage such as 'Double Eagles'

and' Indian' coins over a hundred years ago. Your coin looks OK and 1945 might be rare - who knows? 

Good-luck

Thanks, ill flip it on scale and caliper, and then throw money in his face and call it a day :D

• 1 month later...

Little later but thanks to everyone who commented in this topic. The trade was smooth and here are the bois home. (The 10 pesos coin i bought same week in my LCS to make nice set :) ). And yes the 50 Pesos coin is realy hefty fat chunk of gold 😁

Here are some pics 😉

20200708_140357.jpg

20200708_140426.jpg

20200708_140521.jpg

7 hours ago, Jvw said:

Always tough to see, but safest thing to do is to keep to @Abyss specs.

Some images of mine:

IMG_0141.thumb.jpg.3e0b6f2fb3c2d7bc9d087IMG_0138.jpg.ffbdea79f07b9fcaf1ff3cffdfc

IMG_0144.thumb.jpg.667fcad47e1fea46d31c2

IMG_0005.jpg

Yes I know: I need some more practice with photographing coins..... 

Not sure if i understand the first sentence of your post right @Jvw.

Dang thanks for reminding me to get these capsules with black foam inserts!  And realy nice colection of various years.

9 hours ago, Prophecy said:

Oh god, another one on my list. Sometimes it takes a specific 'real' picture of the coin to trigger me.

Exactly and if you see it for sale...it is realy hard NOT to buy, especialy if the free cash is just ready :D

1 hour ago, burns718 said:

Beautiful. 

For me these and the gold buffaloes are 2 of the prettiest coins

The buffalo ones is realy interesting choice....but hey why not, easier to get what you like :)

5 hours ago, jiry said:

Not sure if i understand the first sentence of your post right @Jvw.

Dang thanks for reminding me to get these capsules with black foam inserts!  And realy nice colection of various years.

I ment; it is always difficult to judge if a coin Is real by a picture. The safest thing is to measure and weigh a coin. Abyss posted the exact specs of this particular coin. 
Cheers re collection! I am no way near done. One day i will have all years.  

On 13/07/2020 at 22:53, Prophecy said:

Yeah. Careful. That thread is dangerous. To the bank balance.

ABOSOLUTLY! this vid seeded interest for this coin...and months later to buy one! :D

Btw is there any other type of capsule in which i can see the sides of the coin clearly? The typical round ones have the seam on the sides.😑

Archived