• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Plus 500 app

Hi guys 

Been looking at getting into shares ect for a couple months and now ready to dip my toe. PLUS 500 seems like a good platform to start on from what I'm reading.  Just wondered if anyone else had any experience with them

Any comments or suggestions would be great.

Thanks 

My experience was after i set up my account, I received ALOT of phone calls trying to tell me where I should move my money, and asking about a million questions about my personal investment strategies.  I didn't feel comfortable so in the end and whilst I was in the green I closed my account 

Yes eToro, Saxo Bank, You Invest by AJ Bell, Hargreaves Lansdown, Trading 212,  & Freetrade. All offer Trading accounts and S&S ISA.

I have no knowledge of Plus500. I have used all of the above apart from Etoro and Saxo Bank. 

Barclays and Halfax also have a trading tool if you bank with them. I have no experience with these. Chat on other sites suggest they are reliable but a bit dated. 

If your looking for something that you can put money in and invest in a managed fund at a risk level your happy with maybe something like NutMeg and MoneyBox would suit you. 

There are a number of things to take into account when choosing a broker.

Do you want a no-frills execution-only service, or would you like additional services, information, and tools?
How actively are you intending to trade? If not much, fees may not matter so much.
What kind of investments are you planning to make? Just some standard stocks and bonds? Do you need access to particular stock exchanges such as Nasdaq for American tech stocks, or Toronto for gold mining stocks?
Are you planning to buy or sell options and derivatives, sell short, trade on margin?
If you are in the UK, do you want an ISA account? Do you want a UK broker who is covered by the FSCS compensation scheme?

There is a broker chooser website that might be useful.

Thanks. Some great info? all taken on board. Think I may of found what im looking for. Only looking to invest a small amount for now till I am comfortable with this new direction. Once I've played around for a bit I'll look at some larger investments. My wife is in finance so will be helping me out also. But also new to her as she doesn't deal with stocks and shares.

Really appreciate all the help with this. Had lots of very helpfull and interesting discussions through Private messages also .

21 hours ago, silvernewbie said:

Freetrade and XO are the ones I use for Equities.  HL are a rip off.  

.45 % for the annual charge but it is capped at £45 per year. 

Can you tell me a bit more about why h&l is a rip.off

3 hours ago, Tn21 said:

.45 % for the annual charge but it is capped at £45 per year. 

Can you tell me a bit more about why h&l is a rip.off

£12 transaction fee each time for buys/sell, wheres freetrade is free.   Also with funds on HL the cap is higher, £45 is only for ETF's/shares.  

If you buy and hold long term with limited trading each month, HL might be ok as you get a good service and app.  

But for most there are much cheaper alternatives and HL are one of the most expensive out there now 

Archived