• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Perth Mint Lunar series 3

FoolzGold

With the much-loved Queen's Beasts series almost at its end I've been wondering what other series might be worth following in silver form and decided to splash out on one of the Perth Mint Lunar series 3 2oz silver coins. This was a while back but I've only just taken delivery today and I have to say it's pretty darn impressive.

Although it's the same weight as the QB the choice to go for a slightly thinner coin makes for a nice display piece at 50mm across and yet it's still fairly chunky. The matte finish with shiny detailing looks pretty sophisticated too.

I follow a few 1oz silver series (e.g. Rwanda lunar & nautical ounce) but this 2oz lunar is definitely a winner for me and gives me something to look forward to once the QBs are finished. Would have been nice to have a twice-yearly series, but this will have to do for now.

Year of the mouse may turn out to be difficult to purchase in the future.  I'm not seeing them for sale much since this shenanigans.

First coin in new series too.

They seem to have disappeared.

Personally I was never very impressed by the artwork on the series 1 or 2 coins, that's why I never picked any up. It wasn't bad, just a bit flat and uninspiring. Kind of like images taken out of a Ladybird Book of Animals from the 1970s...

I guess we can't really judge how this series will go based on a single coin but to me the quality of this artwork (in all variations) is streets ahead of the previous offerings.

Unfortunately, as mentioned above, it's almost impossible to get hold of any of these at present (without paying ludicrous premiums) but hopefully supply will catch up before they go out of production. After all, many are unlimited mintage for 2020 and we're only at the end of May. I'll certainly be tempted to pick up some of the other size versions if they become available again.

Archived