• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

What are your thoughts on the Canadian Maple coin DNA security feature?

Prophecy

Consider every coin is uniquely marked. Whenever it is scanned by a dealer, the Canadian mint authenticates by validating its history with their database. Does anyone know what information the mint has on each coin and does it build over time to create a provenance of information that not only assures its authenticity but removes a layer of privacy for the owner in exchange for that security. Do they guarantee that the only information they hold is the origination of that coin and not a chain of information to the present day?

I am far from a conspiracy theorist, but having registers for coins is a slippery slope.  

Governments just can’t help themselves when it comes to databases of juicy information  

Best

Dicker

Not my circus, not my monkeys

It is just a poorly named security feature if I am understanding this correctly, it has nothing to do with human DNA;

https://www.mint.ca/store/dyn/html/dna/RCM_DNA-User-Guide-EN.pdf

It appears to be a digital coin reader that can identify the legitimacy of coins from the security feature. Nothing more sinister than a serial number. 

I could be wrong.

47 minutes ago, KDave said:

It is just a poorly named security feature if I am understanding this correctly, it has nothing to do with human DNA;

Incorrect. Everything must be a conspiracy theory at the moment. I care not for any evidence of facts. 😊

Currently stacking 10oz Unas and Britannia bars 

6 minutes ago, onlyroadtoheaven said:

Incorrect. Everything must be a conspiracy theory at the moment. I care not for any evidence of facts. 😊

Conspiracy theorists love facts and evidence, its just some facts are more equal than others ;)

Here is the guide from the Canadian Mint (pdf)

It's more about how to use it but I do wonder if it was due to the coin's popularity in Asia and the RAMPANT counterfeiting from China. On the other hand, if I was a country in the 5-Eyes alliance... ;)

Anyway, a gold coin with remote digital dependency for authentication? Just get a bitcoin if it's that important. A slight scratch on the DNA marker and you've got yourself more of a headache than a standard coin.

Archived