• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Declaring gold to US customs

Neuri0n

Hey guys, 

My partner and I are travelling to the states in a year or so ahead of a relocation. I'll be transporting some of my gold to store over there, and I'm aware that you can take up to $10,000 worth without declaring it. Given their previous confiscation efforts, I'd rather not, hence moving some ahead of time. 

Would both my partner and I have a combined $10,000 pre-declaration limit, or would that be $10,000 each? I've tried to find an answer but even CBP don't make it clear.  

Thanks, 

Jacob 

You have your own individual passports and plane tickets, my guess would be $10k each. Probably different if it was you and a child under 18. But, don't take my word for it I am not an immigration lawyer and I never put any devious, underhanded and intrusive tact out of reach of the government.

I hope you are able to find your answer.

2 hours ago, Neuri0n said:

Given their previous confiscation efforts, I'd rather not, hence moving some ahead of time. 

I might be doing the same soon so would be good to know how you get on. Personally, I was thinking of taking $10k at a time but i go regularly. Soon that will be one coin only...

It's a tough nut - the customs form says "only one written declaration per family is required". 

customs-declaration-6059b.jpg

Not sure if this helps: https://help.cbp.gov/s/article/Article-1594?language=en_US

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

If its british coinage and legal tender is there not something in considering its currency value, rather than what metal it is made of? 

admittedly I can understand why you want to be on the right rules here. 

7 hours ago, jultorsk said:

It's a tough nut - the customs form says "only one written declaration per family is required". 

customs-declaration-6059b.jpg

Not sure if this helps: https://help.cbp.gov/s/article/Article-1594?language=en_US

Thanks for the info. Still absolutely unclear though. I'm starting to wonder if that's an accident :P.

I think I'll have to contact the airline and find out from them first hand. 

3 hours ago, SilverMike said:

If its british coinage and legal tender is there not something in considering its currency value, rather than what metal it is made of? 

Noooo, that's a surefire way of getting your stuff confiscated. CBP might be vague with everything else but they're absolutely clear about what they mean by 'value'. 

They don't make it easy:

"The coin and paper money of the United States or any other country that is (1) designated as legal tender and that (2) circulates and (3) is customarily accepted as a medium of exchange in the country of issuance."

Take a sovereign. It is legal tender but does not circulate, and isn't accepted as a medium of exchange in the UK.

Of course, it is a gold coin which they are clear on but they need more "and/or"s than "and"s. ;) Just declare everything or swallow it.

I have a gold £1 coin, the 22k 20g circulated kind! Could put plenty of these bad bad boys in your wallet / change bag and say it’s for the parking meter at the airport. It could be circulated although you wouldn’t want to! 😂

Decus et tutamen (an ornament and a safeguard)

YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5OjxoCIsDbMgx7MM_l4CmA

14 minutes ago, Prophecy said:

They don't make it easy:

"The coin and paper money of the United States or any other country that is (1) designated as legal tender and that (2) circulates and (3) is customarily accepted as a medium of exchange in the country of issuance."

Take a sovereign. It is legal tender but does not circulate, and isn't accepted as a medium of exchange in the UK.

Of course, it is a gold coin which they are clear on but they need more "and/or"s than "and"s. ;) Just declare everything or swallow it.

Don't swallow it! TSA loves a good treasure hunt. 😳

16 hours ago, Neuri0n said:

Hey guys, 

My partner and I are travelling to the states in a year or so ahead of a relocation. I'll be transporting some of my gold to store over there, and I'm aware that you can take up to $10,000 worth without declaring it. Given their previous confiscation efforts, I'd rather not, hence moving some ahead of time. 

Would both my partner and I have a combined $10,000 pre-declaration limit, or would that be $10,000 each? I've tried to find an answer but even CBP don't make it clear.  

Thanks, 

Jacob 

How much value in gold are you planning on moving there?

You would probably learn as much by watching Border Security Americas Front Line as asking us.

That form up above says I or we so I would work on the basis that it is not $10k each but $10k between the two of you.

And don't forget that you need to add in all other currency you take.  No good carefully calculating your gold to $9999 only to find the fiver in your jeans pocket puts you over the limit.

1 hour ago, HGr said:

Are they special coins? What about selling here, then buying again over there? Although availability might be an issue, who knows what will happen! 

Old fashioned “Bed & Breakfast” 👍🏻 

Decus et tutamen (an ornament and a safeguard)

YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5OjxoCIsDbMgx7MM_l4CmA

1 hour ago, HGr said:

Are they special coins? What about selling here, then buying again over there? Although availability might be an issue, who knows what will happen! 

Nothing special, I only stack weight. Thing is though, from what I understand gold is slightly more expensive over there than what we can get in the UK. 

What you suggested is what I'm doing with my silver though. The good news is that I can increase my stack by another fifth or so by selling and buying cheaper over there. Bad news is  I'm missing out on all the really cool stuff cause I'm just stacking generic gov minted coins knowing I'll have to sell them. 

49 minutes ago, Neuri0n said:

Nothing special, I only stack weight. Thing is though, from what I understand gold is slightly more expensive over there than what we can get in the UK. 

What you suggested is what I'm doing with my silver though. The good news is that I can increase my stack by another fifth or so by selling and buying cheaper over there. Bad news is  I'm missing out on all the really cool stuff cause I'm just stacking generic gov minted coins knowing I'll have to sell them. 

You could sell all your silver here then re-buy it over there. Not sure of the details though because im a gold man (and all my gold is vaulted remotely so can transfer it through them)

2 hours ago, Prophecy said:

You could sell all your silver here then re-buy it over there. Not sure of the details though because im a gold man (and all my gold is vaulted remotely so can transfer it through them)

Sounds like a postage nightmare in all honesty. Dread to think what it'd cost. 

Archived