• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

10 year olds find 2 x 1kg gold bars!!

Goldhooked

Some people have all the luck!

When they went to collect them "two fairly heavy objects" fell out, Philippe Rouillac, a local auctioneer, told BFMTV. "They didn't pay attention to them and put them back."

But the boys soon told their father about the discovery.

"He asked them to go and get them," Mr Rouillac said. "But he initially believed they were knife holders that belonged to the grandmother."

He contacted Mr Rouillac's company to double check and, after sending a few photographs, he was told the good news.

The objects were not knife holders, but two gold bars weighing 1kg (2.2lb) each.

Both bars are now listed on the auctioneer's website with an estimated value of 40,000 euros (£35,800; $43,800) a piece.

It turned out that the bars were purchased by the grandmother in 1967 and even come with a proof of purchase.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-52754218

Something I don't understand fortunate find two of these 1KG bars purchased by your late grandmother in 1967 why is the first thought for the family to sell them? Why does it not even enter the thought process wow what an amazing grandmother who purchased these bars that have stood the test of time and protected our families purchasing power over the last 53 years. If We don't need the money right now lets save them until we do need the funds both as a way to respect our grandmother and keep her legacy in the family.

_112399734_1.jpg

You are not wrong. In my experience from seeing what others do with inheritance, it is often spent as if it was free money - because in a way it was, they didn't have to sacrifice anything to get it someone else already did the sacrificing to save it. If someone wants inheritors to treat passed on money as anything else I think its on that person to educate them, but by the time you are leaving its probably too late to be educating family about wealth given the way the stuff works (compounding, development of good habits, etc). 

Who knows perhaps she had no idea really either, or maybe it was her intention to leave something she knew would be valuable for them to sell and spend. 

26 minutes ago, Abyss said:

Something I don't understand fortunate find two of these 1KG bars purchased by your late grandmother in 1967 why is the first thought for the family to sell them? Why does it not even enter the thought process wow what an amazing grandmother who purchased these bars that have stood the test of time and protected our families purchasing power over the last 53 years. We don't need the money right now lets save them until we do need the funds both as a way to respect our grandmother and keep her legacy in the family.

Why do you suppose they dont need the money?  Even if you dont "need" 100k, it could mean being mortgage and debt free, change career, start a business, other positive uses for a windfall.  The purpose of saving, keeping assets for the future, is for them to be spent sometime, no point being asset rich, cash poor struggling day to day. 

It makes sense to me,. The old woman dies and the rest of her offspring want to sell everything and get as much cash as possible because they are programmed to think cash is worth more than gold or antiques etc,. One just has to ask why then do the rich have Gold antiques etc.  

If it was me I would hold of maybe if I had to split with family I would go to a bullion dealer for the best price and with my cut buy gold Do a deal.  

27 minutes ago, zhoutonged said:

A french mug?

Central bankers are politicians disguised as economists or bankers. They’re either incompetent or liars. So, either way, you’re never going to get a valid answer.” - Peter Schiff

Sound money is not a guarantee of a free society, but a free society is impossible without sound money. We are currently a society enslaved by debt.

If you are a new member and want to know why we stack PMs look at this link https://www.thesilverforum.com/topic/56131-videos-of-significance/#comment-381454

On 26/05/2020 at 00:38, HerefordBullyun said:

A french mug?

It beggars belief that most people just can't take 5 minutes from their day to GOOGLE "The best way to sell gold coins"

People's Gold IQ is atrocious. And the powers that be like that.

1 hour ago, Prophecy said:

It beggars belief that most people just can't take 5 minutes from their day to GOOGLE "The best way to sell gold coins"

People's Gold IQ is atrocious. And the powers that be like that.

People on this forum are a minority.  Most people just see Pound signs (or in this case Euro signs) and just think about the money and what it can buy.

I suspect its a little bit of fake news.  It says there was a proof of purchase found with the bars so how could he not know what they were.  Its either someone after their 5 minutes of social media fame or they are trying to stir up some interest to attempt to push the auction bidding up.

3 hours ago, Goldhooked said:

People on this forum are a minority.  Most people just see Pound signs (or in this case Euro signs) and just think about the money and what it can buy.

I suspect its a little bit of fake news.  It says there was a proof of purchase found with the bars so how could he not know what they were.  Its either someone after their 5 minutes of social media fame or they are trying to stir up some interest to attempt to push the auction bidding up.

If I stumbled upon a gold inheritance and I had no prior knowledge of gold, I still would have googled it. I like to know things... it's very empowering.

28 minutes ago, Prophecy said:

If I stumbled upon a gold inheritance and I had no prior knowledge of gold, I still would have googled it. I like to know things... it's very empowering.

As I said, most of us here are in a minority.  Most ‘normies’ out there don’t think the same way as us ;) 

Archived