• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Milk Spots and Refrigeration, Coin Storage Myths and Realities

LaBerge

Greetings,

USA silver newbie here.  I recently called JM Bullion to ask about sellback prices on ASE's and Canadian Maples.  When I inquired with the lady on the phone about what causes milk spots, she explained it was the manner in which they are stored.  Specifically, milk spots will more likely occur if the coins are not kept in airtight containers, exposed to sunlight, and hot and humid conditions.  When I cheekily responded if I should keep them in my fridge, she actually agreed and admitted many seasoned collectors keep their minted coins in fridges to prevent milk spotting.

Can anyone verify the fridge prevention technique? 

Alternatively, I also read that if the cleaning solution sprayed on blank planchets was not properly washed off at the mint before the annealing process, over time, milk spots will appear down the road years later no matter how you store the coins, like on pre-2018 Maples.  I dread the idea of developing milk spots on my coins because both JM Bullion and my LCS quoted me lower sellback prices if any coins are spotted.  

Thanks.

I don't have qualifications in Chemistry but I would of thought it is a chemical reaction.

Since you mention Maples which are supposed to be pure Ag.

If only I knew someone with Chemistry qualifications who knows what reacts with Ag.  Sadly I don't.

https://www.lenntech.com/periodic/water/silver/silver-and-water.htm

In what way and in what form does silver react with water?

Silver does not react with pure water. Is is stable in both water and air. Moreover, it is acid and base resistant, but it corrodes when it comes in contact with sulphur compounds.

Sulphur????

Read more: https://www.lenntech.com/periodic/water/silver/silver-and-water.htm#ixzz6N6KwlWF8

Hmm, I just do know enough about how a fridge works to remedy this, assuming a cold, dark, and dry environment is ideal to store government minted 1oz coins.  If you seal the coins in airtight containers or bags, then it should be good right?

3 hours ago, Notafront4adragon said:

Maybe put in a fridge then bury that?

Maybe their fridge hasn't been cleared for decades. Burying the silver under the half opened can of 5 year old baked beans behind the giant jar of obscure god knows what that was bought for a fancy meal experiment behind the hoarded case of Corona beer might be a practical solution.

It would seem to me that storing silver in a freezer or fridge is just 🐵🙈🙉🙊🐒
First off the cost to refrigerate just adds to your Cost basis and when you go to sell 
Will decrease the amount realized When you go to sell.

additionally, how would you put the silver in the fridge or freezer? In plastic - I wonder what happens to plastic when it is placed in a freezer and frozen and then defrosted when you want to look at it and then refrozen?  

I think this brings up a very important issue in general - on what storage costs you incur and is it factored into your gain or loss when you sell.

Also - If you look at how the us mint stores it’s silver - it definitely is not in a fridge or freezer. 

15 hours ago, Rocky2000 said:

So if you bury silver in a fridge it’s better than just in the ground?

might be good to put a bag a sugar in there to absorb any moisture 

I don't know if the ground is better than a fridge to prevent milk spots.  

7 hours ago, Pampfan said:

It would seem to me that storing silver in a freezer or fridge is just 🐵🙈🙉🙊🐒
First off the cost to refrigerate just adds to your Cost basis and when you go to sell 
Will decrease the amount realized When you go to sell.

additionally, how would you put the silver in the fridge or freezer? In plastic - I wonder what happens to plastic when it is placed in a freezer and frozen and then defrosted when you want to look at it and then refrozen?  

I think this brings up a very important issue in general - on what storage costs you incur and is it factored into your gain or loss when you sell.

Also - If you look at how the us mint stores it’s silver - it definitely is not in a fridge or freezer. 

Thanks for the input, the whole fridge discussion comes from my original query if refrigerating minted 1 oz coins like Maples and Eagles prevents milk spots as claimed by the lady on the phone at JM Bullion.  I don't actually know, which is why I am asking the Silver Forum expert hive mind.

Milk spots might not have anything to do with storage conditions.  Where do milk spots come from and how do I prevent them?  I was told having milk spots will decrease the value when I go to sell them.

• 2 months later...

Archived