• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

International Shipping Question: US to UK

acam

I have always used USPS. Fill in customs form as “gift”, keep the item value low, typically below $50. I avoid using words like silver, Precious Metal, Gold, numismatics, coins, currency in item description.

10oz bars seem to bar far more popular and widely available in the US so I also need to start looking at international options. I have never even looked at the USA/Canada trade section of this forum. 

Currently stacking 10oz Unas and Britannia bars 

On ‎20‎/‎05‎/‎2020 at 03:13, acam said:

Has anyone ever shipped internationally from the US to the UK? Any idea of the best way to do it? 

I ship on a regular basis to America ( my home country ) and here in the UK. Also all over the world.

I am happy to offer tips and suggestions if you need them, please state what you need and how I can help you.

Because your questions is what is the safest? the answer is tracked and insured.

I use a company called Transglobal express. NOTE this only works for Things going in or out of the UK. So  USA to UK no problem and vice versa.

Consider private insurance for post. I can assist you with finding someone for that.

Be REALLY careful what you put on the label! Do not write Silver or GOLD.   Its a tell tale sign for a thief! Sadly in the postal services of ANY country!

Packaging Must be layered and I suggest you put the address of the person its going to on every layer! This way they can never say its fallen out … etc.

Again. Shout if you need my help.

On 21/05/2020 at 08:50, jonrms said:

I ship on a regular basis to America ( my home country ) and here in the UK. Also all over the world.

I am happy to offer tips and suggestions if you need them, please state what you need and how I can help you.

Because your questions is what is the safest? the answer is tracked and insured.

I use a company called Transglobal express. NOTE this only works for Things going in or out of the UK. So  USA to UK no problem and vice versa.

Consider private insurance for post. I can assist you with finding someone for that.

Be REALLY careful what you put on the label! Do not write Silver or GOLD.   Its a tell tale sign for a thief! Sadly in the postal services of ANY country!

Packaging Must be layered and I suggest you put the address of the person its going to on every layer! This way they can never say its fallen out … etc.

Again. Shout if you need my help.

what about the customs and declaration form? It says money, coins, or bullion are prohibited. Any concerns with this?

2 hours ago, jbh said:

what about the customs and declaration form? It says money, coins, or bullion are prohibited. Any concerns with this?

Add a bar of chocolate and call it a gift basket with chocolate coins. 

Honestly your being 100 % honest but you have clearly missed a space. 

There are plenty other ways to lable it and ship it. But if your shipping from the UK you do not need to state what your shipping on a SD . If your shipping from the USA you do need to be creative or call it a ASE etc. Don't say bullion or coin. Medallion works, 

I do hope this helps, but ALWAYS have it tracked and insured.  INSURANCE is separate to the value that you NEED to declare on the item. I won't tell you to break any laws so decided if you want to call it a gift under £20 or the cost of the actual amount and the buyer will have to pay customs charges and handling fees. 

Biggest problem ive always found is if any mention of silver / bullion is on the paclaging or in the form, they immediatly pop on import tax in the uk. its a pain in the ass, cos can never use things like apmex without paying nigh on £200 just to be able to get my package.

4 minutes ago, jonrms said:

Add a bar of chocolate and call it a gift basket with chocolate coins. 

Honestly your being 100 % honest but you have clearly missed a space. 

There are plenty other ways to lable it and ship it. But if your shipping from the UK you do not need to state what your shipping on a SD . If your shipping from the USA you do need to be creative or call it a ASE etc. Don't say bullion or coin. Medallion works, 

I do hope this helps, but ALWAYS have it tracked and insured.  INSURANCE is separate to the value that you NEED to declare on the item. I won't tell you to break any laws so decided if you want to call it a gift under £20 or the cost of the actual amount and the buyer will have to pay customs charges and handling fees. 

Very helpful! Thank you.

4 minutes ago, jbh said:

Very helpful! Thank you.

No problem, pm me anytime.  I don't want to list every secret in a public forum. But if it was in a restricted like premium or via pm I will give you advice. If you pm me a rough idea of what your sending, I can give you various tips and suggestions.  

9 minutes ago, Jkm1988 said:

Biggest problem ive always found is if any mention of silver / bullion is on the paclaging or in the form, they immediatly pop on import tax in the uk. its a pain in the ass, cos can never use things like apmex without paying nigh on £200 just to be able to get my package.

This is where you need TRUST with someone in America or Britain.  

Sadly I have been stung twice by 2 people who never shipped my items. 

Long story and not the place, but there are alot of good people out there and very helpful.  

I still have family.  But only use them for very LARGE orders. Anything under 5k I am OK with friends, but I have subscribed reduced this to about 100 ish. 

I have Silvertown ship items to me directly but they don't ship to anyone else. Sadly import tax and handling fees. 

Just pm if your looking for something to be sent to the UK. 

If anyone wants i can do a small group buy fro. Silvertown, but there are taxes

• 2 months later...

I'm late to this party, but I have a related problem/question: FedEx will insure precious metals only at a rate of $1000 per package. Are there any 3rd party insurers who will sell me, as an individual and not a business, additional coverage for a single shipment? Specifically, I want to insure a FedEx PM shipment from the US to Canada for $3000. UPS Capital offers single-shipment insurance but only for business to business shipments.

Archived