• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Gloves for handling Gold/Silver and PM's

I know some people see gold and silver as just a metal valued at spot so don't worry about wearing gloves, but I'd rather keep my PM is the best condition possible (I am a collector at heart). 

To that end... A lot of advise online recommends wearing cotton gloves. However, a number of stackers on YouTube seem to favour what appears to be black disposable latex gloves.

What gloves to people use/recommend, and what materials should definitely be avoided? 

Avoid super cheap cotton gloves off ebay. When I first bought a pair, I thought cotton gloves would be cotton gloves, but I ended up receiving a super tiny size that were more of a mesh than the t-shirt type material I was expecting. Nothing like the picture of course. You get what you pay for to some extent.. No idea if cotton is better / worse than latex.

6 minutes ago, Jimmy2trees said:

Years ago when I was looking for a pair, I found that the ones sold by bullion dealers, coin collector websites etc  were expensive for what they were.

I ended up buying a pair of snooker referee gloves from a sport shop. 

They were much cheaper and just as good.

That's a great tip! Would never have thought about snooker gloves. I'll look into it.

• Founder & Administrator

Issue with gotten gloves is that tiny bits of cotton come off, is annoying when those bits get in between the capsule and the coins.

Nitrile gloves are better IMO though I do also use cotton gloves.

My posts are my personal opinions, they do not constitute advice or financial advice.

Please Follow / Like / Share to help spread the word of The Silver Forum:
TSF Instagram - TSF YouTube channel - TSF Facebook pageTSF Twitter page - TSF Threads (used for sever status updates)

Discounts / Offers
COTR Vouchers for Premium Members

Official TSF branded NGC label via COR grading
50% discount off of TSF mugs for Platinum Premium Members. (see info in Platinum Lounge)
Platinum Premium Members: Offers from selected Dealers - 15 dealers currently in the programme

Cotton gloves are usually a waste of time imo, except for gold bullion you may wish to keep as nice as possible. They get oils from your hands as well as dust etc on the outside eventually no matter how careful you are. To wash them it's pointless in a washing machine with regular detergent as you're adding more possible contaminants.

I think they're more for show than anything.

Powder-free Nitrile one use disposable gloves are what you want imo. Also handy for lots of other tasks (clearing drains, dealing with mice etc) where you want protection for your hands but want to be able to feel what you're doing (another problem with cotton gloves is the lack of tactile 'feedback').

15 minutes ago, PeterPan said:

@ChrisSilver @kimchi Thanks for the recommendation on nitrile disposable gloves. I'll give them a look. Hopefully I can get hold of some at a decent price which hasn't been ramped up given the current PPE shortages. 

With the Nitrile disposable gloves, you may need a size larger than you think you are. 

My posts are my personal opinions, they do not constitute advice or financial advice.

TSF Instagram - TSF YouTube channel - TSF Facebook pageTSF Twitter page - TSF Threads (used for sever status updates)

Discounts / Offers

50% discount off of TSF mugs for Platinum Premium Members. (see info in Platinum Lounge)
Platinum Premium Members: Offers from selected Dealers - 15 dealers currently in the programme

2 hours ago, CadmiumGreen said:

Only lambskin for me!! Oops...wrong topic...Only cotton for me!!!🤣🤣🤣

You haven't met my good friend @SILVERFINGER yet then?

You will never go back to anything other than rubber after meeting him...

(A hose in the bedroom may also be a 'useful' purchase in advance of his thoroughly-researched 'instruction' :))

:ph34r:

Please keep all posts on topic. 

Discounts / Offers

4 hours ago, PeterPan said:

@ChrisSilver @kimchi Thanks for the recommendation on nitrile disposable gloves. I'll give them a look. Hopefully I can get hold of some at a decent price which hasn't been ramped up given the current PPE shortages. 

GL897 Black Nitrile Medical    Bodyguards Made by Polyco Healthline I picked up a couple of boxes just before covid 19 from Ebay they were £7.00 a box at the moment they are selling for £2.99 a pair . These are brilliant for holding coins as the coins don't slip out your grip , they are also powder free . Prices will probably drop again in future. They are also useful for working on the car ect 

14 minutes ago, Midasfrog said:

GL897 Black Nitrile Medical    Bodyguards Made by Polyco Healthline I picked up a couple of boxes just before covid 19 from Ebay they were £7.00 a box at the moment they are selling for £2.99 a pair . These are brilliant for holding coins as the coins don't slip out your grip , they are also powder free . Prices will probably drop again in future. They are also useful for working on the car ect 

Good recommendation, found some selling for £15 a box of 100, the wife was after something more suitable for shopping too, so multi functional.

1 minute ago, ZigZag said:

Good recommendation, found some selling for £15 a box of 100, the wife was after something more suitable for shopping too, so multi functional.

They also have a very fine grip pattern on the finger tips which helps when holding coins or coins in capsules.  The 100 on the box refers to single gloves not pairs as these can be used one at a time . 

I have a couple of packets of nitrile gloves that work for me they are called Touchflex.  18.99 from Amazon for 100.  

I use them when using irritating chemicals and playing around with engine oil and they allow feeling whilst not being too thin that they easily split.  

Best

Dicker

Not my circus, not my monkeys

1 hour ago, PeterPan said:

Looking at the prices.....maybe I picked a bad time to start buying gloves 😆

A box of 100 should last a long time ….. but depends how often you handle the silver and gold. Also stops all the finger prints on the RM proof boxes . 😷

• 1 month later...

Hi all

QQ where is the best place I can get some cotton gloves for handling silver and other PM's? Ideally retail stores that sell them. I dont really want to waste P+P unless they are worth it.

Greatful for suggestions.

Best HB😉

Edited by HerefordBullyun

28 minutes ago, HerefordBullyun said:

Hi all

QQ where is the best place I can get some cotton gloves for handling silver and other PM's? Ideally retail stores that sell them. I dont really want to waste P+P unless they are worth it.

Greatful for suggestions.

Best HB😉

Merged with preexisting topic. Cotton gloves or Nitrile gloves can both be found at places such as Amazon. If you are looking for physical shops in the UK, maybe some other members know where you can pick some up at, I would have thought that they are most likely cheaper online even with postage. 

Discounts / Offers

10 minutes ago, ChrisSilver said:

Merged with preexisting topic. Cotton gloves or Nitrile gloves can both be found at places such as Amazon. If you are looking for physical shops in the UK, maybe some other members know where you can pick some up at, I would have thought that they are most likely cheaper online even with postage. 

@ChrisSilver  thanks found some snooker referee gloves 2.99 on amazon free delivery!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B075CJST1W/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1