• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Coin Cabinet Auction May

What a steal 😊 (unfortunately was not me who got it)...

Screen Shot 2020-05-31 at 6.40.35 pm.png

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, AndrewSL76 said:

Cracking price. Did you see that 30 sovs also went for £10k. 

Indeed I did. Woah! 🤯 

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Excellent buy this one too, congrats whoever snapped up the lot. 👍

Screen Shot 2020-05-31 at 7.05.55 pm.png

2 hours ago, Martysmith said:

I won 3 lots today, all sovs for a little over spot so I'm happy. I fully expected to see higher prices this auction and wasn't dissapointed!

i drew the line with just one win today - quite happy getting a 1/4 oz gold for £400.  have not broke the bank or living off baked beans for the month either 

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Martysmith said:

Prices are already a bit high for my liking this time, not a single sovereign at less than £340 currently. Some nice coins if collecting specific years but no good for just stacking weight this time. 

True but Royal Mint are selling new Sovs for £360.

http://goldprice.eu5.net

Good for collecting dates etc ok

Decus et tutamen (an ornament and a safeguard)

YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5OjxoCIsDbMgx7MM_l4CmA

In most of these auctions there are usually some good deals to be had. Even if not pure bullion there is good value in the collectable stuff or semi collectable stuff like the different country sovs, etc. The only one I've seen that I thought was bonkers was the April sale but everyone at that time was just desperately trying to get any gold they could so it wasn't a massive surprise prices went where they did.

7 minutes ago, AppleZippoandMetronome said:

Yep got one of the lots I had my eye on and very happy with the price I paid.

I had 4 lots I was going to bid on Victoria shields. I clicked into the "live" bid section with the black box bid takes place. Each time I bid nothing happened. Any tips where I went wrong.

Just now, Xander said:

I had 4 lots I was going to bid on Victoria shields. I clicked into the "live" bid section with the black box bid takes place. Each time I bid nothing happened. Any tips where I went wrong.

Sadly I had the same issue with an earlier lot I wanted. I was trying to use the app today as I'm in the back garden doing a number of things and sadly my connection i am guessing wasn't so great when that lot came up so despite doing everything I could to bid it didn't happen. For the other lot I came in and used the laptop.

Something like that could be your connection or a browser incompatability. If the latter it would probably be worth trying to reach @AndreasAfeldt or another from the team there to let them know there is a problem.

1 minute ago, AppleZippoandMetronome said:

Sadly I had the same issue with an earlier lot I wanted. I was trying to use the app today as I'm in the back garden doing a number of things and sadly my connection i am guessing wasn't so great when that lot came up so despite doing everything I could to bid it didn't happen. For the other lot I came in and used the laptop.

Something like that could be your connection or a browser incompatability. If the latter it would probably be worth trying to reach @AndreasAfeldt or another from the team there to let them know there is a problem.

Ok, thanks. I ended up going into the main display, it was right at the end of the auction and bid on what I thought was Vic/ shields, I won 5 Edward VII Sovs.😱

28 minutes ago, Xander said:

Ok, thanks. I ended up going into the main display, it was right at the end of the auction and bid on what I thought was Vic/ shields, I won 5 Edward VII Sovs.😱

Oh man... I feel for you there. Hopefully you got them for a good price at least! I've done the same in the past...  put in a bid for an item I mistakenly didn't want but got lucky and was outbid.

As an aside I really like the lots that are coming up lately. Its nice being able to buy a bunch of a certain type of sov in one go. I bought two lots last time and another one this time. Hopefully we see more of that in the future.

Archived