• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Silver pouring - For starters

Allancv

Hi everyone,

I would love to get into smelting and turning old coins etc into new custom ones, just for myself.

Would anyone know where I can start? I belive I need a smelting furnace but clueless on what else I should buy/think of before doing this.

This will be a hobby, with a possibility of progressing in 20+ years lol.

Thanks for all replies!

2 hours ago, Falcon55 said:

Check the non-PM items for sale in the trade section on this forum.

I found this for sale..

Cheers for the recommendation. I'm contemplating pouring a silver cross tomorrow health depending

still up for sale.

@Allancv if you're interested send me a message I'll work something out for you I have nearly everything you need to get started.

8 hours ago, silverdocket said:

Cheers for the recommendation. I'm contemplating pouring a silver cross tomorrow health depending

still up for sale.

@Allancv if you're interested send me a message I'll work something out for you I have nearly everything you need to get started.

Hi, thanks! Unforturnalty it'll be a gradual introduction into smelting etc. I only have like 200 or so 😂 pity party or what. But I'm mainly wondering on costs, upkeep etc. as I know I can't excatly afford top quality products such as yours at the minute.

So basically, in short, I want to learn about smelting etc and get to grips with the fundementals. If I had the money, trust me, i'd buy your products asap :) (Sorry for the poor grammer, got dyslexia)

2 hours ago, Allancv said:

Hi, thanks! Unforturnalty it'll be a gradual introduction into smelting etc. I only have like 200 or so 😂 pity party or what. But I'm mainly wondering on costs, upkeep etc. as I know I can't excatly afford top quality products such as yours at the minute.

So basically, in short, I want to learn about smelting etc and get to grips with the fundementals. If I had the money, trust me, i'd buy your products asap :) (Sorry for the poor grammer, got dyslexia)

Me too... With modern technology it's easy now. Just push a button and talk to the phone.

I think there's a 4 oz kiln

For around £130 to 150.

Will poor most moulds for you.

You'll need some silver or copper

Copper is the cheapest way to learn.

Just don't cross contaminate. 

10 minutes ago, silverdocket said:

Me too... With modern technology it's easy now. Just push a button and talk to the phone.

I think there's a 4 oz kiln

For around £130 to 150.

Will poor most moulds for you.

You'll need some silver or copper

Copper is the cheapest way to learn.

Just don't cross contaminate. 

What does cross contamination do? Just makes alloys doesn't it?

I got to admit, that cross is really good. How long did it take you to do one mould?

20 minutes ago, Allancv said:

What does cross contamination do? Just makes alloys doesn't it?

I got to admit, that cross is really good. How long did it take you to do one mould?

Takes away from the purity.

Byb has a good video about his gold bar.

It took about an hour to melt

Around 15 ounces 3 pieces.

It's not easy.

Archived